Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

From a local website:
The new Forester grows between 1.5 to 3.5 cm in all directions. It is 459.5 cm, 179.5 cm and 169.5 cm. The wheelbase measures 264 cm, which is 2.5 centimeters longer than its predecessor. The design is similar in several respects, both in and outside to the Subaru XV small crossover.

In Japan, the car will be sold with two engine options, and these are two petrol boxer engines.

The car will go on sale in Japan in November. In Europe and North Americait it will be late 2013th

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Looks like a RAV-4.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
twin-scroll turbo too.

wonder if it got any heavier?

as for looks, well, didn't Toyota get some say on the BRZ? maybe the same kinda assistance is showing with the Forry.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I think once you see it in person it will look sharp. I like how they made it slightly more contemporary looking while keeping that traditional SUV look. I don't like the identical looking Impreza/XV interior look I think they could of been more creative(bean counters) with that and I hope they give it the 2.5 with DI for the base engine with about 180hp because if they use the 2.0 (Impreza XV) FB engine it will ruin this car

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I don't see the term "CVT" appear anywhere in the brochure but there are only a few selected pages and they're in Japanese. I would think that the next Forester would have a CVT option.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I read on another forum the XT only comes with CVT now. Turbo & CVT = No Thanks. Would rather have a true manual or at the very least the 5AT from the 3.6R Outback.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks like an XT with eye sight is pushing 40k!:gasp:

For 40K I'm getting a beamer...
BMW Car Club of BC - bimmer vs beemer perspective

Sorry couldn't resist.

On topic however, we had an 09 Forester for 4 years. Loved it in every way but the fuel economy sucked and it did not feel as refined as other offerings (CRV, Rav etc.). I would assume that with the CVT transmission things will get better in the mileage department.

Ron

·
Registered
157 Posts
The turbo with the CVT would be great. The CVT would be able to keep it in the higher revs under hard acceleration and keep the turbo at full boost.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
PHP:
Looks like a RAV-4.
they better not have the rear door swing sideway like the RAV4 and that stupid spare tire hanging at the back!!!:D:D:D

put a CVT or better tranny in there and the sales number would double...
honda, nissan,, kia, hyundai, toyota, VW are watching this closely....

On the other hand, if they leave the 4speed auto there.... bye bye Forester!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Barf. I hope that's not it. Looks like a Dodge + Rav4 which are both hideous. I like the current car and would have gone with the Forrester had it been offered with the 3.6.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yuck... I too hope that's a poorly edited prelease misrepresentation...

I was really hoping Subaru would get a little more agressive with the styling of the new Forester. They need to do something to set it apart from the Impreza and XV, like the first 2 gens.

I would say a CVT is guaranteed, with CAFE creeping up, and the fact that they already have the technology, it would just be foolish to not use it. My parents both have 4AT Foresters and I cringe anytime I drive them.

I just hope they keep the 2.5 and go DI, otherwise there really isn't much advantage over an Impreza. Unless they bring back the huge moonroof they used to offer :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't see the term "CVT" appear anywhere in the brochure but there are only a few selected pages and they're in Japanese. I would think that the next Forester would have a CVT option.
I'm seeing paddle shifters on the steering wheel of the interior picture.
That makes me think CVT.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The current Forester could, at best, be called "stodgy". This should be a big improvement.
...I agree...a few extra curves sure make a difference.

I'm seeing paddle shifters on the steering wheel of the interior picture.
That makes me think CVT.
...my CVT has paddle shifters...

·
Registered
90 Posts
...I agree...a few extra curves sure make a difference.

...my CVT has paddle shifters...

My point exactly. The picture of the paddle shifters on the steering wheel indicate to me the new Forester will have a CVT. No way Subaru would put paddle shifters in a car to shift gears on an old school 4 speed.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
oh, somebody said that already about bimmer vs. beemer. i thought anyone with any interest towards cars is like required to know that.

and of course the new forester will have cvt, it is just a new impreza with a few tweaks. subaru is devoted to CVTs, i wonder how long it will be til that is the only automatic transmission offered.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
My point exactly. The picture of the paddle shifters on the steering wheel indicate to me the new Forester will have a CVT. No way Subaru would put paddle shifters in a car to shift gears on an old school 4 speed.
My OB comes with Paddle shifter but it's NOT CVT! 5EAT instead....Paddle shifter doesn't mean it's CVT!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
24 Participants
pt37
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing