Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
My OB comes with Paddle shifter but it's NOT CVT! 5EAT instead....Paddle shifter doesn't mean it's CVT!
Excellent point, I forgot about the paddle shifters on the 3.6 5EAT.
They have to update the transmission to remain competitive, I wonder what
they will do?

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
I wonder if that grille will fit the gen 4 outbacks? They look pretty similar...
I would say it has a better shot of fitting on an impreza or crosstrek since they're all part of the same family (and probably would not fit an outback considering the legacy grille doesn't even fit quite right on the outback and they're directly related).

You never know though.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
My OB comes with Paddle shifter but it's NOT CVT! 5EAT instead....Paddle shifter doesn't mean it's CVT!
Yes, paddle shifters are available in regular AT, but the 5EAT is dated technology. The only reason the 3.6 still comes with a 5EAT, is because the target audience doesn't warrant the added expense of R&D to use one.

H6 sales are low in Subarus, so they are less likely to recoup the additional cost to fit a CVT to an H6. Add to that the fact that most that buy the H6 do so for HP, no MPG, there isn't really any benefit to a CVT in the H6.

I don't buy the "it can't handle the H6" argument one bit. It's 70 extra HP and a few more ft-lb of torque. Subaru is not so inept that they couldn't build a CVT to "handle" their H6. Many other manufacturers are using them in much higher power applications.

I think we'll see the CVT on the H6 if/when Subaru rolls out a replacement for the Tribeca. Then they'll just use the technology for the H6 in the OB. However I think we'll see Hybrid and electric turbochargers before we see a new Tribeca.

CVT is the current AT technology, and any company spending the money to redesign a drivetrain and NOT include it is foolish. Many people shopping for the Forester are going to cross shop Toyota and Honda, and one of the biggest selling points will be MPG.

·
Banned
238 Posts
. . .
I think we'll see the CVT on the H6 if/when Subaru rolls out a replacement for the Tribeca. Then they'll just use the technology for the H6 in the OB. However I think we'll see Hybrid and electric turbochargers before we see a new Tribeca.
. . .
So, you think that Subaru will continue to offer H6 engine in the future?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks like an XT with eye sight is pushing 40k!:gasp:

For 40K I'm getting a beamer...
Are you looking at the Japanese Yen for prices? =P That doesn't always reflect what price we'll be paying so don't use that brochure's price tag if you're talking about the 2014 MSRP.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
I don't buy the "it can't handle the H6" argument one bit. It's 70 extra HP and a few more ft-lb of torque. Subaru is not so inept that they couldn't build a CVT to "handle" their H6. Many other manufacturers are using them in much higher power applications.

I read somewhere the current CVT used in the OB cannot handle the higher HP in the 3.6R and the higher torque in the diesel engine. That doesn't means CVT in general cannot handle high HP....Will Subaru ever get there, In time, Of course... Just not this CVT in its current form....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So, you think that Subaru will continue to offer H6 engine in the future?
Yes

Not after 2016.
That's when CAFE/35 mpg kicks in.
I agree CAFE will change things, but I still think they'll offer the H6. Maybe CAFE will force the CVT. CAFE is an average, when you look at the % of H6 sales compared to the rest, the MPG difference won't hurt them much. And that's assuming the 5EAT numbers. A CVT will only improve that. The fact is there are people that wouldn't buy an OB if the H6 wasn't an option.

There are several threads that argue the validity of that thinking, and those same threads validate that people would not get the 2.5i if it were the only option. Subaru will keep it, even if they have to pay a penalty for each one they sell. They'll just pass it on through the cost of the car.

I read somewhere the current CVT used in the OB cannot handle the higher HP in the 3.6R and the higher torque in the diesel engine. That doesn't means CVT in general cannot handle high HP....Will Subaru ever get there, In time, Of course... Just not this CVT in its current form....
I'll still calling BS on those claims. I've read that too. It may be possible that their CURRENT CVT is not DESIGNED to handle higher HP and Torque numbers, but it doesn't mean Subaru couldn't produce one that will. With the strict tolerances and MPG numbers needed, manufacturers are tweaking drivetrains as much as they can. No more of the "let's build this to handle the biggest engine we have and throw it into every car" mentality.

That's not much different from arguing the CVT in the Impreza can't handle the 2.5 HP, so they won't use a CVT in the 2.5. They don't use the SAME CVT in the 2.5, they designed one to meet it's specs. As you mentioned, CVTs CAN handle higher numbers. And I think Subaru is already "there" to be able to build one. They just don't have a need for one, so why bother.

Using that same logic, they can't just throw in their current CVT into an H6, they need to design on specifically for the H6. Looking at current H6 demand and owner demands, there isn't any benefit right now.

CAFE might force that hand, but consider that Subaru will most likely have a Hybrid by 2016, which will likely offset the H6.

The key thing to remember with CAFE is that it's a corporate average, so it doesn't kill low volume low mpg vehicles, it just forces manufacturers to make their high volume sales cars more efficient. Which when you think about, has a bigger net effect, as those tend to be the high mileage, commuter cars.

Back to the Forester, yes it will have a CVT. It HAS to have a CVT to be competitive in the market, and to meet coming MPG requirements. I just hope they keep the 2.5i and use DI with the CVT to gain the MPG, and not less displacement.

And I still think it's ugly. Vary dated as someone already pointed out, I much prefer the Gen 1 look. Although it's probably not the most aerodynamic Gen by far.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Keep in mind that Subaru announced a while back a CVT that was designed for use with the Diesel boxer. They said that they would start selling it in Australia sometime late this year. Can any of the Aussies confirm if a Diesel CVT is actually on the market yet?

So they can build a CVT that can work with any engine they have.

Really, they are going to have to keep a 2.5 engine in the Forester. A CRV has 185 HP and a RAV-4 is rated at 175. Putting in a 140 2.0L Impreza engine would be a major drawback when people are cross shopping them.

Also, keep in mind that the new CRV is rated at 30 MPG with AWD. A CVT in the Forester is almost mandatory to stay competitive on the mileage game.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
why when i googled when cars need to get 35mpg, i kept seeing 2020 over and over again, nothing about 2016?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Now that you point it out, it looks RHD. You can barely make out the top of a steering wheel and distinct bump on the right side of the car. If you look all the mirrors are folded on all the cars, Probably just do that so it doesn't get bumped, or maybe it's prepped for shipping.

Still ugly IMO

·
Registered
157 Posts
They have a cvt in the jdm legacy gt, which has 300hp and 315tq

21 - 39 of 39 Posts