Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
Hi, I have always used premium petrol in my car as advised by the dealers - but in NZ premium is only 96 octane, which may be more akin to regular in the US?

Our fuel here is poor quality - in fact some of the new generation diesels are not even imported here by tyeir Japanese of European dealer franchises as the NZ refined diesel fuel is not up to it.

Rgds,
GRANT

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Escher said:
Having grown up in Switzerland and France, I don't understand why anybody uses anything other than the metric system! Even after 10 years in the US, I still have trouble with Fahrenheit, pounds, feet and inches, not to mention silly ounces.
I like metric numbers. I'd think anyone could see the sense in things being based on tens and not 12, 3, 5280, etc. (those being inches per foot, feet per yard, feet per mile).

When I was in school they were touting the idea of going metric once and for all, and that was the 1960's! Here it is 40 years later and there's no budging away from the "standard" system. So what happened to me is that I just tolerate metric stuff better but am still thoroughly embedded in the old ways. Like there's no escaping it.

Seriously though, if you want to know what 1 and 1/8 miles is in feet it gets ridiculous compared to what 1.125 kilometers is in meters (1125 m).
Um, miles to feet answer is 5280 divided by 8, add that to 5280, equals 5940?

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
ottiehund said:
Hi, I have always used premium petrol in my car as advised by the dealers - but in NZ premium is only 96 octane, which may be more akin to regular in the US?
New Zealand and Australia use the RON Octane rating, the USA uses MON. I don't know what the conversion is, but yes, the H6 requires premium (actually, I would argue even the H4s should be filled with Premium).

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i think actually the US uses an average of the 2 methods (RON+MON/2). using that method, our reguLR IS 87 octane. yuk.

I like metric numbers. I'd think anyone could see the sense in things being based on tens and not 12, 3, 5280, etc. (those being inches per foot, feet per yard, feet per mile).
oh come on, how can you not like the obvious logic of a measuring system based on the size of the king's bodily parts, as opp to one based on the circumference of the planet....?? :D

i share your frustration with the US' inability to work with the rest of the world....i still think in B.S. (Brit Std, now ironically discarded by even the BRITS.... ) system for some areas and in metric for others. makes me as schizoid as the early-80s cars that used both systems.

for a while, Ford had gone BACK to BS after going mostly metric but i guess the Vovlo-Ford-Jag-Mazda connections have finally dragged them into the modern world.

sick&twisted parable: in one published dope case, one of the factors that the court looked at as one of the "affirmative links" tying one defendant to the dope was that he had a working knowledge of metric system conversions.....we never did trust them innaleckshuals anyway...:D :eek:

bw

41 - 44 of 44 Posts