Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Ltd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I realized that it is easy to forget to turn off engine by push-button when leaving the car. Would anyone know if there is Subaru feature that prevents leaving Outback with engine idle by mistake? Still reading through manual, but cannot find any clue. I am driving 2017 Outback Limited

Thank you

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,160 Posts
mine beeps at me if I walk away with the while its still running with the key in my pocket (2013 Outback limited). Like I start it up, and forget something in the house and leave it running while I go in and get it - key in pocket. It beeps several times (the door lock beep sound).

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
If you walk away and can't tell your car is still running I feel like you have bigger problems...
You have people that walk away and forget their baby is in the back seat.
People are dumb.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Something about the push button starter, I'm new to them and I've forgot to turn off the car a couple times until I open the door. Weird really.

Beary

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts
I know a few makes will have a "slot" to insert the keyless fob (a la Nissan) to charge it and hold it while driving.

Maybe, when you park and open the door, it will eject the fob into your lap like a toaster. Can't forget it if you remember to dodge it while getting out!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,551 Posts
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

That being said, my wife's Honda Pilot beeps like it's the end of the world if she walks away with the keys in her pocket... Car still operates.

I wouldn't mind having a setting that gives me 60 second delay before killing the engine if the keys are out of range, with the ability to over-ride it (thinking about if the battery goes in the remote, still want to be able to drive...)

Reactions: RoughDiamond

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Ltd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
forgetting to turn off engine with push-button Reply to Thread

Unfortunately it is a serious matter based on the news. (I am blocked by the forum to include a url, so the phrase below can be googled)

Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll

People die.

Spoke to Subaru dealer representative and the feedback was:
1. No, the engine is not expected to turn off after being running idle.
2. No, alarm is not expected when car is locked with running engine, if you walk away. You get audible tone in the car when opening door while the engine is running, but that alarm may not be too informative. The Limited emits many alarms, some I have to end up ignoring.

Well, about to install a CO detector in my garage.

And, regarding some sarcastic comments above.
People can have busy minds, being stressed, etc. For decades, process of walking out of a car was in muscle memory. You pull out your key from ignition lock and the engine is stopped... I wish I were offered a choice of ignition technology when choosing my Limited.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
195 Posts
I had a couple push button Altimas. It will become habit to turn the car off. I suppose the initial "getting used to it" might take awhile, but I never forgot to turn the car off.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
People can have busy minds, being stressed, etc.
Those people most likely should not be behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Reactions: Zedhead and ronsec

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6r Limited 50th
6 Posts
forgetting to turn off engine with push-button Reply to Thread

Unfortunately it is a serious matter based on the news. (I am blocked by the forum to include a url, so the phrase below can be googled)

Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll

People die.

Spoke to Subaru dealer representative and the feedback was:
1. No, the engine is not expected to turn off after being running idle.
2. No, alarm is not expected when car is locked with running engine, if you walk away. You get audible tone in the car when opening door while the engine is running, but that alarm may not be too informative. The Limited emits many alarms, some I have to end up ignoring.

Well, about to install a CO detector in my garage.

People can have busy minds, being stressed, etc. For decades, process of walking out of a car was in muscle memory. You pull out your key from ignition lock and the engine is stopped... I wish I were offered a choice of ignition technology when choosing my Limited.
I feel you. It's happened to me a few times as well--especially in noisy downtown. The 3.6 is also rather quiet, making it even easier.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi all. I realized that it is easy to forget to turn off engine by push-button when leaving the car. Would anyone know if there is Subaru feature that prevents leaving Outback with engine idle by mistake? Still reading through manual, but cannot find any clue. I am driving 2017 Outback Limited

Thank you
So, if the Start button is lit or car is on, you will be unable to lock the car. Had this happen one time, pushed the Start button, twice, so the engine was off, but the button was lit. Got out, pushed the lock button and it immediately unlocked. I was looking to see if I had dropped my fob and noticed the Start button light was lit.

Yep, old dog/new trick...... does get us, sometimes.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,692 Posts
We need to have a purge year where all the safety warnings are taken off things and just let nature take its course...
Just came across this thread, and your two year old post jumped right out at me. Given the current situation, are you perhaps a prophet?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts