Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORUMS DISCUSSION: Just lost 51 members

Hello all, I wanted to open this case for discussion as I'm sure many of you may have opinions, suggestions, etc on the matter. I recently deleted the accounts of 51 members due to their lack of posts after 90 days following standard forum rules. 51 members is a ton of people, I hate to delete their accounts but then again if they don't want to or just don't participate and/or contribute to the website than there is no need for them to have an account here. Of note there were a few that had logged on in the past month although of course none posted. I know there are a great many people who just come and look through the site on a regular basis but never register. But to register and never post, thats what gets me. All I ask for is one stinkin' post to retain your membership indefinately, since I've made the announcement concerning this I have seen many more new members posting closer to their register times which is good of course.

So what do you all think of this? I of course don't like to do this as far as deleting accounts but I'm left with little other choice except to bend the rules, but to what benefit? Any comments or suggestions?

A

·
0 Posts
I would expect to see some folks that register but never post. The reason is that both Knowledge Base and Dealer Rating section of the site is for registered users only.

I see nothing wrong with keeping the accounts active. If you want to grow a board, the total number of members (active or inactive) has to grow as well. It's a perception thing, it will make others join as well.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I registered for this site because I finally talked the wife out of selling our Tahoe and getting an Outback. This site has been very informative. I don't post much, just read, but I will post because I don't want to get booted from this site. Besides the Knowledge Base and the Dealer Rating sections, it know what posts you have read when you are registered. You don't have to weed through the stuff you have already read.

Just because people don't post much, doesn't mean they don't use this site. I will keep reading this site and these forums. If I have to post every-so-often, oh well.

Just an "outsiders" opinion.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I would give the new members 180 days (1/2 a year) to post....Some just sit back and read, take in info. Give 'em a little time, maybe they will realize it is fun to ask questions and such. Brian.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
admin said:
I would expect to see some folks that register but never post. The reason is that both Knowledge Base and Dealer Rating section of the site is for registered users only.

I see nothing wrong with keeping the accounts active. If you want to grow a board, the total number of members (active or inactive) has to grow as well. It's a perception thing, it will make others join as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed :)

DMT said:
I registered for this site because I finally talked the wife out of selling our Tahoe and getting an Outback. This site has been very informative. I don't post much, just read, but I will post because I don't want to get booted from this site. Besides the Knowledge Base and the Dealer Rating sections, it know what posts you have read when you are registered. You don't have to weed through the stuff you have already read.

Just because people don't post much, doesn't mean they don't use this site. I will keep reading this site and these forums. If I have to post every-so-often, oh well.

Just an "outsiders" opinion.
Agreed as well, now I'm feeling like a Stalinist dictator... :(

bheinz57 said:
I would give the new members 180 days (1/2 a year) to post....Some just sit back and read, take in info. Give 'em a little time, maybe they will realize it is fun to ask questions and such. Brian.
Yes, maybee I am a little too hard up on member participation. My idea for the creation of this site was to make the best Outback and one of the best Subaru resources on the net. Obviously that has come to fuition to a certain extent although I don't want people to think I or this site, etc are the likes comparable to NASIOC. They and their policies are that which I was trying to get away from but now it seems I am moving more towards that very way and taking the site as well.

Henceforth, I will revoke the 90 day rule. This subject will be up for discussion by all members and will be taken into further consideration at a later date.

For any members who I may have deleted who happen to come back and read this: Forgive me for making this rule without consideration for your own personal interests that concern this site. You need not worry about your account being deleted unless you do something to deserve it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hero Boots said:

Agreed as well, now I'm feeling like a Stalinist dictator... :(

A communist ? In America ?? LOL ! :D ;)

My idea for the creation of this site was to make the best Outback and one of the best Subaru resources on the net.
And it is dude. Give it time, the site is still young :)

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
we should run this site like a Chicago election- load the membership with dead people!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hero Boots said:

Henceforth, I will revoke the 90 day rule. This subject will be up for discussion by all members and will be taken into further consideration at a later date.

Good Move Hero, nothing wrong with those that want to just read all about the great Outback :D

K

·
0 Posts
Please delete my account as I no longer wish to particpate in this web site

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kennection said:
Please delete my account as I no longer wish to particpate in this web site
Account deleted.

You are always welcome to return if you ever choose to :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
Kevin
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing