Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I test drove a 2005 OBW LL Bean. It has 113k, but needs some tlc. I know it will need tires and most likely a wheel bearing. It also sways a bit on the highway. No rust, everything works, tracks straight when accelerating and braking. The price was right, $7k delivered (it's an hour and more away) No engine lights, shifted good, brakes good, some body dings and it's not the cleanest car (but none of mine are) Worst case, tires, wheel bearing and some suspension in the rear, what do you think that would run me in parts? I can do the labor myself. Just looking for a 2nd opinion. Car can be seen here:

AutoTrader.com[SUB[SUBOUTBK[]][]NISSAN[FRONTI[]][]]&modelCode1=SUBOUTBK&makeCode2=NISSAN&modelCode2=FRONTI&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=0&makeCode1=SUB&startYear=1981&numRecords=100&searchRadius=100&listingId=331185785&listingIndex=50&Log=0

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Is there a maintenance history? If not, you will need to change ALL the fluids and filters and inspect the rubber bits - hoses, suspension bushings, shaft boots.

The 3.0 has a chain driven valve train, so no timing belt worries. OTH it may be ready for an accessory belt and idler pulleys. I would change them just for the heck of it while I was doing fluids. Normally a four cylinder gets all those parts replaced with the belt and water pump at 110K miles. It will give you peace of mind to change them ASAP, and you will be good for another 100K miles.

Have you had it on a lift to look for suspension and drivetrain problems? Since it wanders some, I sure would do it before buying. There might be something bent or tweaked. Check for play in all the ball joints and arm bushings.

Does the A/C work OK?

Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a maintenance history? If not, you will need to change ALL the fluids and filters and inspect the rubber bits - hoses, suspension bushings, shaft boots.

The 3.0 has a chain driven valve train, so no timing belt worries. OTH it may be ready for an accessory belt and idler pulleys. I would change them just for the heck of it while I was doing fluids. Normally a four cylinder gets all those parts replaced with the belt and water pump at 110K miles. It will give you peace of mind to change them ASAP, and you will be good for another 100K miles.

Have you had it on a lift to look for suspension and drivetrain problems? Since it wanders some, I sure would do it before buying. There might be something bent or tweaked. Check for play in all the ball joints and arm bushings.

Does the A/C work OK?

Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Everything works. The swaying is not too bad, no worse than my last OBW. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs rear bushings and maybe a front ball joint on the drivers side. (thought I heard a slight clunk. I hit some fairly rough roads on the test drive) The carfax maintenance records are spotty, but no accidents. There is a quicklube sticker on the windscreen showing 110k or so and there is a service at a Subaru dealer listed on the carfax 50 miles ago. I am guessing this was either done by the lot selling it or prior to auction/sale to this lot. This car passed NH inspection.The under carriage was also clean with no signs of leaks. (but not too clean as if it has just been washed) The CV boots are all intact and clean, the shocks are not leaking and the suspension is working as it should. All the potential issues are maintenance for a higher mileage car, anyways. I can do my own work and as long as I spend less than $1k in parts, I feel I would still be making out OK. The only other cars in this price range in my area are much higher mileage with more owners and less maintenance history.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts