Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2005 Subaru Outback non-turbo to the shop the other day because of a number of issues...alternator drive belt slipping, oil leaking form somewhere, and auto transmission sticking when trying to change gears(resulting in a big thud when it did shift). They added some tranny fluid(which didn't help, but it is extremely cold out the past couple weeks). Said the oil leakage was from the head gasket somewhere ($1200-2000 to fix) and they changed the drive belt. Just now I noticed some oil under my car near front-end. Not sure if it's from my car and couldn't see anything under the hood. But i ddi find this rubber washer looking part just laying in a nook right under the dipstick. Any idea what this is?

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Took my 2005 Subaru Outback non-turbo to the shop the other day because of a number of issues...alternator drive belt slipping, oil leaking form somewhere, and auto transmission sticking when trying to change gears(resulting in a big thud when it did shift). They added some tranny fluid(which didn't help, but it is extremely cold out the past couple weeks). Said the oil leakage was from the head gasket somewhere ($1200-2000 to fix) and they changed the drive belt. Just now I noticed some oil under my car near front-end. Not sure if it's from my car and couldn't see anything under the hood. But i ddi find this rubber washer looking part just laying in a nook right under the dipstick. Any idea what this is?
Gasket from your oil fill cap.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
The oil cap is a fat o-ring, (oem) not a flat rubber washer. But maybe...maybe that was a failed remedy.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Where are you loacted?

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
The oil cap is a fat o-ring, (oem) not a flat rubber washer. But maybe...maybe that was a failed remedy.
Mine fell off the other day while doing a 710 change. That's the only reason it came to mind. Pretty sure it was a gasket, not an o-ring. I'd go check, but I just got out of the shower and it's about 40 degrees in the garage right now.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
Yeah, looks about right for the oil cap oring.

A shot from the side for thickness would clear that up... or just taking off your oil fill cap and checking for the presence of an oring. Chances are it's hard and dry anyway. Wouldn't hurt to get a new one at the dealer. They aren't too expensive.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,484 Posts
well its dry,...as in it does not have engine oil or transmission / power steering fluid, or brake fluid on it.

so maybe it was just dropped by someone, unused out of a bag.

and if it went on to something presently you would have a squeal, whistle, drivability problem, or dash light staring at you
from a loose cap, or seal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ruby2012, you da man, it was the gasket for the oil filler cap. Now I need to figure out if it's worth it to spend the money to fix the oil leak, or move on to a different car. Thanks everyone for the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts