Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The buttons on the remote entry transmitter are too close to the surface and too large. After locking the doors and put the transmitter into my pocket I hear the little beep telling me that I've unlocked the doors. It's to a point that I don't put away the keys until I'm out of range. The buttons on every other keyless entry I've had have been indented and very small so coins or something else in the pocket doesn't press them. Carol also has complained about the doors unlocking when she puts the transmitter in her purse. Wonder if there is a generic transmitter that isn't as sensitive?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
if you can't find one that works better, might try slipping a very short length of rubber hose over fob to reduce the accidental activations...not too elegant, but who needs elegance as opposed to risk of unknowingly leaving car unlocked?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Doesn't it relock the doors if you have pressed the unlock and not opened any doors within a time frame ?

I guess there is a little reassurance that if it does unlock and you don't happen to notice it will lock again (hopefully no one tries to enter the car in the meantime).

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
locks

my '03 OBW doesn't lock after leaving the doors unlocked if the door has not been opened. Besides you'd probably lock your own keys in the car!!!:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with tlippy

Yes, the remote door lock/unlock fob has a hair trigger, and it activates inadvertently when the keys are in my pocket. The first several times this happened I thought I was going nuts! I'd think to myself..."you didn't lock the car did you? ...then why is it now locked???" Like you, I now leave the keys out of my pocket when hanging around the house. I'm sure the battery will go fast on this one!

I love the car, but this is on the list of my top 5 gripes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder if the older key fobs work. you could try and program the car to recognize one of the older ones. I did that when my wife and I both had Hondas-- programmed our cars to recognize one key fob (it's like getting your garage door to recognize a new remote... easy... at least in the Honda). I have a 04 WRX wagon and we'll probably add an 05 Outback (for wife) and was hoping to do the same so we don't have too many fobs on the chain.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I wonder if the Australian key with remote inbuilt would work on the US cars? Do the USDM models have the chip in the key that only lets a key with the right chip in it operate the ignition? Certainly they don't have a hair trigger, I often find I have to push the button a second time as it didn't get activated the first time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
Jondalar
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing