Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been dealing with a pp440 code for awhile. I heck all hoses and the canister with no luck. He culprit? A rusty gas tank. The tank is rusted out at the weld in the front of the tank just above the drive shaft. Suggestions on fixing this without removing the tank( seems like too big of a job for me) thank you in advance squirrel

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
Depending on how much rust there is (the size of the area affected), and the room you have to make a repair, you may be able to clean the outside of the tank up enough to JB Weld the area or fiberglass over the damaged section.

The tank will have to be almost empty (gas level well below the weld seam) and use only sand paper or die grinders with discs that will not spark on the steel tank. Once cleaned, you should be able to cover the area with a thin application of JB Weld, fiberglass cloth and more JB Weld on top, or just fiberglass resin, cloth and more resin (2 or more layers) and let harden.

Depending on how large the area is and the shape of the rest of the tank, your best bet may be to put in a used tank. Be prepared for the tank straps and various bolts to all be rusted and need replacing. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
905 Posts
Please don't repair your old tank, empty fuel vessels are more explosive than full ones, what starts fires are not the liquid fuel but the vapors, the liquid only serves to fuel the fire once started.

I'd be getting a good used or new and doing a complete replacement.

·
Registered
1999 obw 2.5l Auto 194,000 mi
80 Posts
also the ethanol in fuel can cause the resin in fiberglass to dissolve and get into the fuel system so dont fix it that way.

·
Registered
'99 Outback 2.5 GT auto & '97 LegOB w/ grossly insulted 2.5
141 Posts
Here in the South, gas tanks are a nuisance, as there is very little rust damage, short of those who 'surf' their Subies & scrappers won't accept them. You might inquire to user Lockmedic, or others down here who part Subies

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Just be aware that used tanks won't be available from scrap yards and cannot be shipped if there are any fuel odors at all. Salvage yards are required to drain tanks and do so by putting large holes in the bottom. Only new tanks can be shipped, so you would have to get a used one from someone local parting out a car.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,434 Posts
after removing and draining a gas tank, you can remove the trace fuel vapor by dumping a bit of dry ice in. the dry ice sublimates to co2, which pushes the fuel vapor out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts