Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this known to really happen or was it sabotage? Broken wheel stud from driving? I looked down to see this while pumping gas.. I usually use a torque wrench and set my lugs to 75lbs. I guess it’s possible. Oh well, easy fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Happens. They’re easy and cheap to replace. Its caused by running crappy wheel nuts on and off over the coarse of the vehicle lifetime.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lverano,

I'd be willing to bet that some garage monkey over torqued the lug nuts using an air impact gun, stretching the stud, then time and vibration did the rest.

If one went this route, I'd be watching the remaining 19 much more closely while you own the car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I saw rotor replacement suggested as a cure to repeated failure of studs. I guess because a rusty rotor/hub/wheel combo can wobble in use, stressing and shocking the lug nuts.

if you get that far, that seems worth a try.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies. yes, the previous owner definitely had someone carelessly working on his car with the air gun in hand. I replaced 4 of these before putting the car on the road. These studs were abused.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I replaced 4 of these before putting the car on the road. These studs were abused.
Four is not just an isolated incident. You might consider replacing all of them; it might cost more up front, but you get the peace of mind that you won't have to be doing them piecemeal as you see more of them fail - and you probably will.

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
All of the lug studs on Lil Red seem questionable.

When working on the rear sub frame last month two of the studs were stripped. It wasn't snapped like here so I just chased it with a die and sent it along.

I always hand thread the lug nuts, run them down with an impact gun on low, and torque to 90 lb ft in a star pattern twice once on the ground.

That procedure is so time consuming I've considered investing in torque limiting bars. Something like this maybe?

I think the lug stud failures might just be an age thing.

20~ years is a long time for a bolt to hold up. Especially one where in addition to the load of the car, every pot hole, every turn, it's removed and replaced pretty much every time the car needs maintenance.

I second the "Replace all" if you plan on keeping the vehicle for more than a few years.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

When working on the rear sub frame last month two of the studs were stripped. It wasn't snapped like here so I just chased it with a die and sent it along.

I always hand thread the lug nuts, run them down with an impact gun on low, and torque to 90 lb ft in a star pattern twice once on the ground.

That procedure is so time consuming I've considered investing in torque limiting bars. Something like this maybe?

20~ years is a long time for a bolt to hold up. Especially one where in addition to the load of the car, every pot hole, every turn, it's removed and replaced pretty much every time the car needs maintenance.

I second the "Replace all" if you plan on keeping the vehicle for more than a few years.
COol, those look like a nice addition to any mechanics arsenal. I wonder if MAC makes them. I like MAC tools the best. Maybe I can find a nice used set on eBay for $100.00 bucks shipped. Thanks for the idea. Although I thought I was over torquing just a little at 75 lbs. , but if you say so, then 90 lb ft. it is sir. With Star pattern as always.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

like gat right there would be good.

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
COol, those look like a nice addition to any mechanics arsenal. I wonder if MAC makes them. I like MAC tools the best. Maybe I can find a nice used set on eBay for $100.00 bucks shipped. Thanks for the idea. Although I thought I was over torquing just a little at 75 lbs. , but if you say so, then 90 lb ft. it is sir. With Star pattern as always.
IIRC factory torque is 88.5 lb feet. I just round it to 90 because I figure a 1 percent difference should be in the noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts