Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I have been a bit quiet lately regarding my turbo sled...over the past few weeks.

I just sent her to a local fabricator to get measured and a $ for an internal cage. A 6 point + plus and the door (upper and lower) tubes. I might as well pull the passenger seat now...She's about to get laborious to enter and exit. Gonna make it hard to date...eh? Just like any race / super car though. I am not committed to the cage, until I build an actual race motor that can handle what my supporting mods can produce. So the motor will be 1st and will be chronicled here.

The point of this thread, though, is to track my race exploits. Which will be integral along the way.

My 1st attempt will be at a local drag strip. A weekly event that is called "Time and Tune". You pay $25 and can run the 1/4 all night long. If you are dedicated to running...you can do 10 runs on a busy night, 20 on a slow one.

My failures...as usual will be captured in real time on OBF, hopefully I can mix in a good run and success or 2.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,021 Posts
All Looking up in the add on rear view camera monitor:

"Ahh!!! Ahh!! Ahh!!"

Paul, the Alien:
"what is that, - federal agents approaching from the rear at 130mph?

No its traildogck. he is making a emergency delivery,...we were all smoked out.
...pull over right away,...I thought he would not catch up to us for 3 more hours.
Fucck that subaru is fast. (and plenty big for hauling, vs. a Impreza)"

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
Bet you can run consistent 13's, and if you tree the light...a high 12.

And Soob AWD will make great launch control.

Maybe a 3500 stall in the future, leaving the line with 30 lbs of boost...and a big smile. :wink2:

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So as silly as this may sound, I practice...in daily driving.

Not 1/4 miles, mind you. But this past year at the car show, trap times were terrible for most folks with their own cars. I was an 1/8 mile away...you would watch the lights change...and it seemed like we'd wait forever. I would almost be about ready to shout...GO!

So, when I am a stoplight, controlled entrance ramp...whatever, I practice my launches. I have an auto in both vehicles, so no heal-toe-ing. I never drive with my left foot braking, but in the launch situation...I keep the car stopped with my left...right foot twitching.

Then, I am twitching too, maybe tweaking, the split instant I see a shred of green led...right foot down. Now nobody else out there is playing at these lights, so I am off 1st. I back off usually right away, The light is all I care about. Once in a while, there is some other anxious person that is trying to recover and turn it into a competition.

Racing is for the track, not the street. And that's not my point in practicing launches. BTW, I am by no means using full throttle. But the XJ seemingly seems to get off the line better. Quicker. I don't know if it is the drive-by- wire lag vs the instant throttle cable of the XJs big six. Or if it my imagination.

There is still tuning work to be done with Frank. But I don't ever give Ed much chance to work, the car is usually not running, or gone from the garage. The car will be at the fabricator for about a week and hopefully by the end of the month I will start going to the track.

Bet you can run consistent 13's, and if you tree the light...a high 12.

And Soob AWD will make great launch control.

Maybe a 3500 stall in the future, leaving the line with 30 lbs of boost...and a big smile. :wink2:
I hope she will run in the 13's. Stock '08 WRX's can all day long with the proper wheel man. And yes, I'd like to crack 13 seconds. At Bandemire, if your car is sub-13's you need a helmet. I plan on getting a helmet. Unfortunately, all of Franks Mods beyond the motor work do nothing for the 1/4 but make the car heavier and slower. But the car was not built for the 1/4. It is like the dyno, it is a baseline of performance and then it becomes a benchmark for evaluation.

If anything...Frank is a road course - autocross - rally car...by design. Street car 1st, maybe with a roll cage...Ha Ha.

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, that's funny...especially here in CO.

I would probably, then fail, a strict "roadside evaluation" just getting out of the car.

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am picking her up today...later. Maybe, I can get some fresh ones.

If not I'll dig something up. I really need to update my profile with pictures and a proper list of modifications.

That link was interesting. One thing is true...heat is a problem, or a killer. That is one reason I opted for the all aluminum race radiator, separated transmission cooler and auxiliary oil cooler. And the proper gauges to monitor the beast. My cooling system can probably keep a Hellcat or GT-R...relatively happy. But it is way overbuilt considering the horsepower it is going get.

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...as promised.

Frank and B*tch Kittty.

Oh and Rosie the Cat as well.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,021 Posts

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rosie come back? (or is she still MIA)
Oh...yes...she scared the crap out of me Saturday Morning. B*tching like everything was my fault. Meow this...Meow that...

Typical P*ssy....

CAT...Meow..

I think a neighbor had her, thought she was a stray...saw my sign and let her free.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,021 Posts
Oh...yes...she scared the crap out of me Saturday Morning. B*tching like everything was my fault. Meow this...Meow that...

Typical P*ssy....

CAT...Meow..

I think a neighbor had her, thought she was a stray...saw my sign and let her free.

well if your neighbor were a woman, you could ask here if she would like to share a pusssy. (or 2):laugh:

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well if your neighbor were a woman, you could ask here if she would like to share a pusssy. (or 2):laugh:
There were a couple of "dancers" who lived "together" on the 3rd floor. They liked to go to the pool, but got kicked out. The "dancer" lifestyle didn't mesh too well with the others around here. That said...I don't think I'll be letteng anyone "share with me".

I am about to load a new Rom from XRT. It has boost and Ed's most updated 5EAT race programing. Yep, gonna go for a little drive. HeHe...

>:)

Going to try this stuff. I can buy 100* right out of a pump...but they are not at all close to me. If Frank is solid, I can also buy Sunoco 104* at the racetrack, but it is $$$. I ususally use Lucas, but I thought why not. Regular gas stations only sell as high as 91*

Attachments

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
There were a couple of "dancers" who lived "together" on the 3rd floor. They liked to go to the pool, but got kicked out. The "dancer" lifestyle didn't mesh too well with the others around here. That said...I don't think I'll be letteng anyone "share with me".

I am about to load a new Rom from XRT. It has boost and Ed's most updated 5EAT race programing. Yep, gonna go for a little drive. HeHe...

>:)

Going to try this stuff. I can buy 100* right out of a pump...but they are not at all close to me. If Frank is solid, I can also buy Sunoco 104* at the racetrack, but it is $$$. I ususally use Lucas, but I thought why not. Regular gas stations only sell as high as 91*
There is one station in GB that is 93 with no ethanol. Possibly 7-8 others with it. 91 no ethanol is getting more common but I still feel the need for octane booster if I plan on doing spirited driving. We used to have a Sunoco with a TurboBlue pump or something like that but that disappeared ten years ago.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,565 Posts
.....One thing is true...heat is a problem, or a killer. That is one reason I opted for the all aluminum race radiator, separated transmission cooler and auxiliary oil cooler. And the proper gauges to monitor the beast. My cooling system can probably keep a Hellcat or GT-R...relatively happy. But it is way overbuilt considering the horsepower it is going get.
Agreed, it's way overbuilt. But it could take longer, sustained speed runs well, I think, considering how aggressively you've designed the cooling system. That, coupled with the Gen 3's quite aerodynamic body shape, makes it a good choice for speed trials as well. Have you considered putting on some salt slicks and taking it to Bonneville to see what it can do?

I once helped a guy put together a 260Z for Bonneville, and what struck me about that project was that weight wasn't at all a killer - in fact, it helped hold you down if you got it out of shape and started spinning. All it meant for the speed trial run was that you took a bit longer distance to run it up for the timed stretch.

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@johnre I just missed it this year, and the car was not ready. But, the Colorado Mile...by the same folks that created the Texas Mile. It is basically...you get a mile of open asphalt...and 1/2 mile to stop. As much pedal and gas as you want to flush, as many times as the rotation allows.

Next year maaaybeeee.

I just got back from logging for my tuner...and D*mn....what a f'n rocket Frank has become. Just D*mn. And I am kinda a right foot wuss. I don't really like to go too, too fast. But wholly sheit, 35 mph can be fun. I need to get an audio clip...not of the AVO 3"...well that to.

But that 20g Kamak sounds like a freaking jet engine.

:runaway:

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Such pretty machines, and a cat.
Thanks...you see them for what they truly are...it's not the dress size...it's what is inside that counts.

I am getting closer to the track. The 5EAT updated, full on...tweeked and peaked...(ok, I think I am done)...race tune is so...so choice. It does exactly what I want...all the time. I have had 2 little hic-ups in about 300 miles. But that's it.
All city/urban/urban-highway miles. The XRT tuned 5EAT is my favorite part of my car. And, let me tell you...there is some big company in that statement.

Perrin, GrimmSpeed, AVO turboworld, MeganRacing, Whilteline, Koni.

Them's big shoes to be walking in.

I have been practicing my green lights. Left foot braking...I had been thinking about brake torquing...even with the AWD...kind of against the 5EAT...I have a auxiliary tranny cooler (that sounds bad)...so I can push it like that a little without worry. 2WD drag guys just light up the rear...

And it is more of a remedy for the DBW delay. Tuners can remove tons of it and give great throttle response....but it ain't no hard wire...So...so brake torque before the green is advantageous. I will be honest, Ed today...asked all of us in the 5EAT tuning group to brake torque our 0-60 and 1/8-1/4 times...

Nice. It is cool for this old guy...to be on the same page as my tuner. I have been doing it a bit today...feels a bit vulgar and decadent to be doing on the street...next to a minivan. Chassis rocks a bit...the haunches wind up...exhaust growls like tdck is wearing a muzzle.

Have I said my car is fun....:9:

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed, it's way overbuilt. But it could take longer, sustained speed runs well, I think, considering how aggressively you've designed the cooling system. That, coupled with the Gen 3's quite aerodynamic body shape, makes it a good choice for speed trials as well. Have you considered putting on some salt slicks and taking it to Bonneville to see what it can do?

I once helped a guy put together a 260Z for Bonneville, and what struck me about that project was that weight wasn't at all a killer - in fact, it helped hold you down if you got it out of shape and started spinning. All it meant for the speed trial run was that you took a bit longer distance to run it up for the timed stretch.
So...I am toying with the idea of spending the Thanksgiving Holiday week driving to and running the Salt Flats....

Starting to gauge some interest. 5 weeks away...maybe 4 weeks for me to hit the road...Its 10 hours for me...but I would split it in 2...stay in Montrose...

Dunno??

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 i Wagon
461 Posts
And it is more of a remedy for the DBW delay. Tuners can remove tons of it and give great throttle response....but it ain't no hard wire...So...so brake torque before the green is advantageous. I will be honest, Ed today...asked all of us in the 5EAT tuning group to brake torque our 0-60 and 1/8-1/4 times...
Certainly, there are plenty of times when I heal toe or left foot brake my 4EAT pedals. What gets me is the low low low low end rpm response for slip protection and stop signs. Never any go when I need it from 60 to zero to 60, until 2400rpm, ugg, untunable base model.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts