Subaru Outback Forums banner
1041 - 1060 of 1103 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Working on a 2011 Outback. I have a Vag-Com cable (FTDI) and FreeSSM. I can connect to the ECU but not the TCU. I am trying to trouble shoot the problematic CVT. It has a hesitation when you take off in D. When you are in Manual mode no hesitation.

Anyhow I am kinda stumped and how to get to the TCU. I tried different ports, reloading the software, loading the driver from the disk. What else can I try?

Thanks.
get a tune from Xrt viciously tuned from the internet , Hes in Barbados i did and i get 33 mpg at 55 - 60 mph and my car is a lot faster also .

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
get a tune from Xrt viciously tuned from the internet , Hes in Barbados i did and i get 33 mpg at 55 - 60 mph and my car is a lot faster also .

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Define "a lot faster".

·
Registered
4 Posts
TCU Capabilities
Codes
Adjustments

For those of you with automatics that report, binding or grinding while cornering at low speeds (parking lots, ect...)
I have successfully reduced the symptoms by adjusting the Transfer Duty Ratio Correction.
Note: Increasing this value for 04'+ does decrease the Transfer Duty Ratio %, my electrical monitoring testing verifies this.
03' and prior should be reversed, please perform your own testing to verify this.

If the vehicle looses power or the battery goes dead/disconnected all adjustment values will reset to default.
Hi,

First of all thanks for the topic. Great information here.

Last week I have tried to see the adjustments but for engine; I can only see 3 adjustments at engine side and nothing on transmission side.

Do I need to use green connectors?

My vehicle is Forester XT 2004 2.0 4EAT by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

First of all thanks for the topic. Great information here.

Last week I have tried to see the adjustments but for engine; I can only see 3 adjustments at engine side and nothing on transmission side.

Do I need to use green connectors?

My vehicle is Forester XT 2004 2.0 4EAT by the way.
Anyone to help me? :frown2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anybody know the difference in the data marked "Brake Light" versus the "Stop Light Switch"? I would think they would display the same readings... Are they monitoring the same thing? Or is the Stop Light Switch what the BIU is reading as a input from the brake switch? And is the Brake Light then just a detection of the actual brake lights or is it from the switch also? Because one of them turns on when i hit the brake pedal but the other one never changes..... Mystery cause I cant unlock my shift lock solenoid. I have to do it manually. And the solenoid is good, i tested it myself. And Ive replaced the brake switch 2 times now... Im trying to see if its the BIUJ thats the problem...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Without car details (year, model, engine, transmission, mileage,) a specific answer is problematic, but the inability to release the shift lock mechanism while pressing the brake pedal is usually caused by a blown stop light bulb fuse.

Also, what "data" are you referring to?
Its a 2009 Forester, 2.5LSOHC, auto trans, with 100K plus miles. Ive replaced the stop light bulb fuse already as well. But my brake lights have never stopped working.

·
Registered
19,511 Posts
Its a 2009 Forester, 2.5LSOHC, auto trans, with 100K plus miles. Ive replaced the stop light bulb fuse already as well. But my brake lights have never stopped working.
Okay .. . the stop lights work. That helps. (Missed that if it was in the earlier post.)

There's another fuse that links the stop light circuit with several control modules, including the Body Integrated Unit, which controls the shift lock solenoid. It's a 7.5 Amp fuse in the "relay block" next to the fuse panel in the cabin (to the left of the steering column).

From the FSM, it appears the relay block has fuses on both sides, and the 7.5 A fuse is on the back side (facing the front of the car).

Unusual for it to be blown, but can't discount the possibility.

There's a separate forum for Foresters -- https://www.subaruforester.org/ . They would be far more familiar with the Forester and perhaps could provide more help on where to find the fuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have looked all over the relay block for this 7.5A fuse but I cant find it anywhere. The only fuses in the Relay block were the extra ones on the bottom of the block. Do you happen to know where I might find that fuse? Because if I read it right its between the BIU and the TCM.. Also I tested the voltage from the the connector that goes in to the BIU that they say is the brake switch but I got no voltage there when I pressed the brake pedal. And the #8 20A fuse is good.

·
Registered
19,511 Posts
Do you happen to know where I might find that fuse?
Not from actual experience but see below.

The only fuses in the Relay block were the extra ones on the bottom of the block.
The "extra" ones might not be extras/spares.

Here's an e-bay page currently selling a 2009 Forester relay block.
The second photo shows the block being held horizonally with space for eight relays and four fuses (at the left). Interestingly, there's a 7.5 A fuse in one of the spaces.

The block should be next to the fuse panel itself, and if Subaru is consistent across models, it's oriented vertically to the right of the panel.

·
Registered
19,511 Posts
So Im guessing that the 7.5A fuse shown in all those pics is not just an extra fuse? I feel hellllllla stupid if thats supposed to be there. Because I took it out and used it thinking it was an extra fuse.
There's physical space there for four fuses. However, not all the spaces might be wired in. In the photo below, the two spaces that don't have fuses in them also don't have any contacts, which would otherwise be visible. (See where the arrow points to a similar metal contact in a space for a relay.)

Product Technology Electronic component Switch Electronic device

Look into the slot where the 7.5 A fuse was located, and see if there are contacts there. If there are, then that's likely a "real" circuit. Re-install a 7.5 A fuse and then see if the shift lock operates.

Where there are spaces intended for actual wiring, but they are not used (perhaps because certain options are not on that car) and don't have the metal contacts in the fuse box itself, a fuse that is put in such a blank space will usually not be held in securely.

I'm not sure about the 2009 Forester, but in my Outback, under the cover of the engine compartment fuse box there are spaces intended to keep spare fuses. That's the only place I know that there are such spaces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I need to thank you plain OM. I have had my interior torn apart for over a year now because I couldnt fix this problem. Which now turns out to be me who caused it. I seriously thought that 7.5A fuse was a spare fuse. Well its not!!!!!!!!!!! You for sure need it! As soon as I put a new 7.5 in there, ALL MY PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN SOLVED! Thanks again for all your help and tips..

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
2,003 Posts
Has anybody looked into SSM-3?

1041 - 1060 of 1103 Posts