Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1061 - 1080 of 1101 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,977 Posts
As a Moderator on another VerticalScope automotive board (Toyota), it's considered verboten for the staff to condone the open discussion of where to buy software that shall not be named that might come from questionable sources. So I don't want to get myself or anyone else in trouble by stepping over the line here either! That said, let's assume that I was talking about the software that is reportedly available for interfacing with Pleiades vehicles that might work up thru MY 2018, and can be had with an appropriate VIM for around 3 bills. Or you could assume that I have a friend with a private shop that has a subscription.

Either way, has anyone explored what you can do with it? I was thinking about starting out with programming/pairing a new blank key I purchased.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you ever get an answer on this? I have a 2011 with cvt problems and would like to be able to connect using FreeSSM. have a cable already
thanks

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I connected FreeSSM to my 2012. Limited but worked. My post about is back there somewhere...

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,898 Posts
So i got cable vag com kkl 409.1 and freessm on laptop all works. But it doesnt give me much adjustment there. Just to check valves in gearbox and other stuff on engine.
So my examples

I need then something else to do engines like proper diagnostic like to see why i get cyl 2 missfire , can i see that in some other software then. Similar to what people who does diagnostics see.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,290 Posts
So i got cable vag com kkl 409.1 and freessm on laptop all works. But it doesnt give me much adjustment there. Just to check valves in gearbox and other stuff on engine.
So my examples

I need then something else to do engines like proper diagnostic like to see why i get cyl 2 misfire , can i see that in some other software then. Similar to what people who does diagnostics see.
Rom Raider will have about the same parameters as is on FreeSSM but it will record logs for analysis where FreeSSM will not record. To see misfires you need to see "roughness". Since yours in a H6 you can determine what may be causing the misfire by looking at the AF sensor and STFT correction for bank 2. If the computer is reducing fuel on bank 2 then the misfire is ignition, a coil or spark plug isn't firing and burning the fuel. It could also be a valve timing problem if the timing is off due to worn chain guides or loose tensioner, or a valve is not closing properly due to carbon on the valve or seat. Either of these would affect compression and air flow in and out of the chamber. If it's adding fuel then the misfire is too lean combustion which means it's a fuel delivery issue; fuel injector or fuel flow/pressure.

And just so you know, the problem may not be with cyl 2 alone. If any of the cylinders on bank 2 is running too lean or too rich the computer compensation is for the whole bank since it can't adjust a single cylinder. For example, if an injector isn't opening properly and delivery of fuel is too lean on cylinder 4, then cylinders 2 and 6 will run rich combustion and may not be able to support it creating a misfire. This again would be seen in STFT adjustments by the ECM to determine whether its a too rich or too lean condition at the AF sensor and you would know what the ECM is doing to control that bank and narrow it down.

Do you know if it is misfiring on any other cylinder besides #2? Is it only setting a fault for cyl 2 and no others? How rough is the engine running and does it smooth out with acceleration or continue to misfire? Have you looked at the coil connectors to make sure they are locked down?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
@cardoc
Tried romraider.
You mean those sensors?

Or i need to do like file log and can show it here better. If so tell me which sensors put on graph then. Car feels bad now in snow like no power or smt. If rear wheels find any resistance like from snow or anything when driving slow its just stops no wheel will turn it will just whine

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
@cardoc
Did roughness on all cyls so only 2 and 4 shows roughness. But what that means?

And correction af 1, 2

In combine graphs
On idle

With some acceleration

But then when i start to drive it comes back to normal line almost

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
@scalman
If your coils and spark plugs are good, then you may need to look at the injectors for those cylinders and maybe the timing chain. With a timing chain issue, usually it effects all the cylinders on one bank, though. You'd have misfires on 2, 4 and 6. Where there's a misfire in your log the computer is reducing fuel, the negative value, and given it's a low negative number it's more likely that it's an incomplete burn in the cylinders that are "rough". This could be due to an over shot of fuel, the injector is staying open, the spark plug is firing weak, or it could be a timing issue on that bank or a valve not closing completely due to carbon. You can do a compression test on the engine to determine timing and valve issue. Another tool to determine a valve issue is a leak down test. This is where you force air in to the cylinder with low pressure and listen/feel for the air to escape from the chamber when all the valves on that cylinder should be closed. If air comes out the intake, an intake valve is open. If it comes out the exhaust, it's and exhaust valve. If it comes out of the oil fill tube or dipstick, it's generally rings, (but then you'd be burning oil, so this is unlikely).

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
@cardoc
That air preasuure test into cilinder would be awesome to do, what tools needed for that i wonder?
Another funny thing as i have dual fuel i can switch to lpg and look whats happen then...that cyl2 suddenly goes back to almost normal work , yes my lpg injectors have problem and on idle car shakes on lpg but then maybe we can eliminate some stuff from how it works on lpg
Right there i switched to lpg

And i sae on car for long time now most times when i get check engine lights driving on petrol when i switch to lpg then check engine lights goes off , meaning its no longer cyl 2 problem then?
Then lpg brings its own errors it gives bank 1 cylinders missfires mostly 3 and 5 so no longer 2,4 .
I tries change injectors places many times i have 5 spare injectors they all used but i tried to clean them with preasure and carburator cleaner, so no matter how i change injectors its still coming cyl 2 ,4 missfires on petrol.
Could it petrol pump ? Does romraider shows that i will see.
Removed cyl 2 spark plug , o wonder does gap is ok on that

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Gap on plug was 0.75 and plugs that where previously on car had 0.65 gap.
My all problems started when i started to change stuff , clean stuff until then i was almost good so i thought i will make it better.
People saying me it will be valves because driving on lpg burns valves more then on petrol. But who knows

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
@scalman The plug gap should be 0.7-0.8 mm, or 0.030 inch.

As for a leak down tester, this one I got when my other one burned in the fire and it is effective and low cost.
Bumper Font Audio equipment Automotive exterior Wood

Light Gauge Gas Odometer Measuring instrument

You can make one but you have to be able to regulate the air pressure going in the spark plug port.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
changed 2 plugs to old ones and 2 coils on cyl 2 and 4 to some other used ones. before in car where Bosh iridium plugs, now i bought new NGK iridium laser ones, and it feels that car doesnt like NGK very much for some reason. so i try to change back all plugs to old ones bosch ones .
because car kinda started to drive better , and check engine lights goes up on idle and then sometimes its dissapear when start to drive. so it varies. but i can feel car pulls better now.

1061 - 1080 of 1101 Posts