Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Outback VDC Wagon
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: My 2001 VDC Wagon has had a fair share of issues, and I was thinking of supplementing my Scangauge II with a dash mounted Nexus 7 running Linux with FreeSSM.

Just dug up my old Nexus 7 from a few years ago and was thinking about putting a generic Linux installation on it and using a USB OBD-II cable to run FreeSSM (if you don't know what that is, check it out, it's such a cool, free, and open-source alternative to the Subaru Select Monitor - google for a ling, I'm too new to post it, but the github site is where I got it).

Has anybody done this before/had experience with dash mounting a dedicated system like this? Any hacks/tips?

I think this will be pretty straight forward. Maybe the hardest thing will be making a custom USB connector that can charge/hook up the OBD II cable?

Any suggestions/ideas for this are welcome. It would be pretty cool to make a program that could read all the sensors in the car, get a baseline, and then warn you if one of them displays an anomalous value (the ultimate check engine light) :smile2:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
beware: the odbc port remains live with the key off. so if you leave the cable / dongle plugged in. it will drain the battery. (and I have done that with my dongle a few times).

_______

on a windows laptop:
try free rom-raider. vs. simple freessm. rom-raider is great for logging for diagnostics. (people load csv files here for others to view and critique).

(freessm may work with your H6 2001, ..H4s of that year and earlier have trouble ).

_____

Torque Pro for Android works good though, needs android 4.0 or better. so a cheap old smart phone works.
and it has alerts the more you work with it. (my phone is a $30 android with a 4.3" screen.....so although it fits nicely in my pocket and works torque pro fine,...for sticking on the dash and looking at I would want a bigger screen). people here have posted video with the torque pro live data right on the screen.

Reactions: XPGeek

·
Registered
73 Posts
Preface: My 2001 VDC Wagon has had a fair share of issues, and I was thinking of supplementing my Scangauge II with a dash mounted Nexus 7 running Linux with FreeSSM.

Just dug up my old Nexus 7 from a few years ago and was thinking about putting a generic Linux installation on it and using a USB OBD-II cable to run FreeSSM (if you don't know what that is, check it out, it's such a cool, free, and open-source alternative to the Subaru Select Monitor - google for a ling, I'm too new to post it, but the github site is where I got it).

Has anybody done this before/had experience with dash mounting a dedicated system like this? Any hacks/tips?

I think this will be pretty straight forward. Maybe the hardest thing will be making a custom USB connector that can charge/hook up the OBD II cable?

Any suggestions/ideas for this are welcome. It would be pretty cool to make a program that could read all the sensors in the car, get a baseline, and then warn you if one of them displays an anomalous value (the ultimate check engine light) :smile2:
I have a usb otg cord for my samsung tablet and also a usb obd2 connector. There may be a linux system for my tablet and i wouldn't mind trying it, but i havent heard if anyone has gotten freessm working on a mobile linux. I also have a 2001 vdc wagon. The other thing that would be difficult is charging it at the same time as using the obd2 connector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
so you don't need a device with 2 usb ports.

people use Bluetooth or wifi dongles for the odbc port. such broadcast about 8 feet, with mine I can carry the phone out by the front bumper to stand over the engine, but that is about it.

when I have tried connecting my VAG cable with a extra connector to go from USB to the smaller variety I can not get enough connectivity for it to work on my phone.

·
Premium Member
2001 Outback VDC Wagon
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys :) I appreciate it!

I was not aware that the OBD II port was live at all times, I may have to do something like remove the battery from the Nexus 7 so that it only powers up (and runs some script to launch the monitoring software) only when the ignition is in the ON position.

I will look into RomRaider as well, I actually have a small Windows XP tablet machine from just collecting them (the Samsung Q1UP-V) that I could use (since Windows XP on a Nexus 7 is a pipe dream for various reasons)

I'll also take a look at torque pro in the meantime as a temporary solution while I make something more visually stimulating/permanent.

As I try things out, I'll be sure to document/upload my progress so the less technically inclined can do the same thing if they have an old smartphone/tablet lying around :)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
what is good about $5 torque pro, with a $15 dongle:

so $20 plus a droid phone gives you those tools in your pocket. and not just subaru specific.

nice when going to lunch with friends and their "check engine light" pops on for unknown reasons in their car.

...as you can tell them in 30 seconds why. (as long as the car is newer then 96).

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
@XPGeek

One of the downsides to FreeSSM is that its display is plain text only (unless it's been changed recently). That might be more difficult to read, while driving, than, say, gauges, or large digital displays. Romraider has the advantage of displaying the data in different gauge formats, and can record it for review later. According to the website, there's a version for Linux as well as one for Windows.

Also, there are BT dongles, such as the OBDLink LX/MX bluetooth adapters, that can access the Subaru ssm data stream (the "Elm" dongles access only the generic OBD data) and draw very little when in standby/sleep mode, so can be left plugged in. (I have a tablet set up with BtSsm -- another Subaru-specific program -- using the BtSSM K BT dongle, which I leave plugged in. it draws about 6 ma., in standby. But I can also run Romraider on my BT-equipped laptop and have it access the ssm data as well through the BtSsm dongle. (Not at the same time as BtSsm, of course.)

The OBD data is less comprehensive than what could be available from the Subaru ssm ("k-line") stream. But there is the advantage with the OBD software, such as Torque, of being able to use it on different vehicles, as eagleeye noted.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
@XPGeek

. (I have a tablet set up with BtSsm -- another Subaru-specific program -- using the BtSSM K BT dongle, which I leave plugged in. it draws about 6 ma., in standby. But I can also run Romraider on my BT-equipped laptop and have it access the ssm data as well through the BtSsm dongle. (Not at the same time as BtSsm, of course.)
the btssm seems to only support 2006 and newer. so a waste to try unless you got it working on a existing car, and then can try it for free on a older one.

something that may only happen at a weekly saturday noon subaru meet up in south denver. where its hopefully not just ricers 2 stepping over energy shots.

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
@eagleeye

Quite so about BtSsm.

However, let me clarify. My intent in mentioning BtSsm was not that it be used in this project. Rather, it was to note that there are BT adapters that can access the ssm data stream and remain plugged in without draining the battery. Not sure if there are any low cost ones that do the same, but for a system that's designed to be more-or-less permanent (e.g., "dash mounting a dedicated system"), it would be a shame if the OBD connector adapter has to be unplugged, or disconnected in some way, each time the car is parked.

@XPGeek, this thread has photos of my setup, and over in this thread there's a few examples where a tablet was built into the dash of 2005-2009s. Not the same as yours, but maybe some ideas might come from there.

·
Premium Member
2001 Outback VDC Wagon
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, thanks for your help guys :) I appreciate the input, and I will be sure to update the thread when this idea begins to come to fruition!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts