Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(if you dont want to read all this - please read the last part as that contains my question. :)

So I finally purchased - day before Xmas (Monday)
I had done a lot of research (thanks everyone here who helped).
I sent out about 10 or 11 inquiries to dealers who had what I was looking for (black or brown 2.5 SAP).
I checked the Costco price first. It was -500 below invoice. My other inquiries turned up about the same deal - and 2 dealers did better. Up to 2000 below invoice. I wanted to go to a third dealer first cause I liked the experience I had with a sales guy when I test drove. So I went there asking him to match the best offer I had. Their car had a few options already on that I was looking for (the best offer dealer didnt)

I wont bore you with all the details of the games they played and what I did unless someone asks - but in the end - I got what I wanted. Maybe a few hundred more than I could of but I didnt feel a few hundred was worth leaving and starting over elsewhere - where options I wanted wld get top dollar. I felt I was still getting a good deal. They gave me the minimum I was looking for my trade and they beat my credit union financing by a point so I signed.

What I got:

2013 Outback Limited 2.5 w Special Appearance Package (black)
Options: Wheel Arch moldings, Splash guards, Puddle lights, Side Cargo nets
14 miles on car.
MSRP 34,733
paid 30,550 (including -250 car show coupon)
$4183 off MSRP
Thats WITH 3 of the 5 or 6 options I really wanted. They wouldn't budge on the price for other options and labor was a lot, so I held off on those.

I initially declined the Warranty (I HAD it on my last OB though). The finance guy offered it much lower at $1000 and I took it. (100 deductible). I am still a little unsure if I should have taken it. Im not sure with the 100 ded its a great deal - but whats done is done - they wore me down a bit keeping me there for 4 hours perhaps. ;)

I LOVE the car.
I am just getting to know all the new features and right off the bat, while I love much about the car (I really do) - I can say the HK sound system sounds way worse than the premium sound system that was in the 2003 OB. Im a sound guy (mixer) by trade though and I know that there are a lot of factors that really affect this - shape of car, speaker placement, speaker quality, etc, and in general, cars are HORRIBLE places to try to have good sound, though that said - it can be done and I am very disappointed in the sound in this car compared to my 2003.

My question:

I still want 3 other options. I am not sure the cheapest way to get them and get them installed.
I want:
Rear Seat Protectors
Illumination kit (door sill & interior lights)
Side window deflectors

I dont know if I should just have a local dealer do it all (most expensive?)
Or buy the parts from the dealer and have my independent mechanic put them on (hes a Subaru specific mechanic), or if there is some cheaper place to get these same parts and have one or the other install.
Im also not sure if I could install these myself. Probably not the lights but maybe the others - if I had some instruction.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

oh and did I mention I love the car?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and this is kind of fun (move the pic to left or right with cursor and zoom out a bit with control on top left)

360 Panorama

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin
88 Posts
Sent a PM, check your mail.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
No fair showing the beauty of Highway 1 to the rest of the snowed in forum.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
Snowed in? With a Subaru? Fine, I had to FIND a reason to go out but boy was it fun!

Regarding the questions.

For Subaru accessories, you can get them from Subaru Online Parts (they're a sponsor here I believe). I got my cargo nets from them, easy to deal with. Something else to consider, take the "shipped price" from that site to your parts department, they might match it (did this for my roof-mount bike rack).

For the side window deflectors, Car Mats, Floor Mats, Cargo Liners, Side Window Deflectors | WeatherTech.com You won't find much better pricing and these are top-notch units, they mount in the channel with only a small piece of tape on each end of the rear ones.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
Save yourself the money and just install the rear seat protectors and side window deflectors yourself. I installed the seat protectors in 5 minutes and the window deflectors took 20 minutes. I prefer the subaru ones because that chrome strip isn't covered.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Man that black SAP Outback sure is pretty. I just don't have the patience and my wife drives way to many commuting miles to keep that color nice.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ironic thing is every winter (actually all year) here in So Cal I am whining that I dont live in a place that is cooler with more rain and snow. I actually really love winter.

Thanks everyone for the advice. That parts site linked to seems to have really good prices. Seems the shipping is a lot. Incidentally, I just was at the Subaru dealer near me (not where I bought) and they gave me a 15% discount on the seat back protectors and the window deflectors (order). Looks like this site, with shipping is about 8 dollars cheaper.
However, the lighting kit (which I didnt order today) will be much cheaper even with shipping, than the 15% discount at Subaru. I could check if they will match it. Thanks!

Carlvr87, Id love to do it myself - but would need some assistance. I have NO idea how these things even attach to the car. The lighting kit may be a bit much for me without real detailed instructions.

And Pool Runner,
You are certainly right. I had an 03 black OB before this. I do know how hard it is to keep it looking nice. ****, not even a week later - my car looks dusty right now - as its dusty here in So Cal even in winter, and I park outside currently - but I just love black, it was either this or the dark brown and in the end - black was it for me.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Save yourself the money and just install the rear seat protectors and side window deflectors yourself. I installed the seat protectors in 5 minutes and the window deflectors took 20 minutes. I prefer the subaru ones because that chrome strip isn't covered.
The Weathertech ones don't cover the strip either, they go inside the window channels. I'll attach pictures, though it sounds like the OP has ordered the Subaru ones. Actually, the Subaru ones cover the strip, they just have one to replace it.

To the OP, All of Subaru's accessories come with instructions. The site I linked before also has them linked with each item as well, they can also be found at Subaru Technical Information System Select Accessory installation Guide, model, year, trim. There's no need to enter a VIN, then select the guide you need.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Weathertech ones don't cover the strip either, they go inside the window channels. I'll attach pictures, though it sounds like the OP has ordered the Subaru ones. Actually, the Subaru ones cover the strip, they just have one to replace it.

To the OP, All of Subaru's accessories come with instructions. The site I linked before also has them linked with each item as well, they can also be found at Subaru Technical Information System Select Accessory installation Guide, model, year, trim. There's no need to enter a VIN, then select the guide you need.
Yeah Hallux - I did already order the window deflectors today. I like the Weather Tech ones too. I actually ordered the WT floor liners for my girl that has a new Impreza and lives in heavy snow. I am not sure if you were the one that recommended them in my other thread but they are great.
Thanks very much for the link!!

I just went to look at the seat back protectors I just got to see the instructions and noticed it says "Impreza seat back protectors"!!
Are they the same part?!?!
Sigh. Its gonna be the end of next week till I can do an exchange.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Back from snowy Mammoth and I see that all questions were already addressed.
Congrats! Used cable tire chains on front wheels (bought a pair at NAPA store there for $ 40). They were needed to get to Tamarack lodge and Lake Mary.
In my humble opinion, I agree Carlvr87: get Subaru OEM side window deflectors (but I see that you've already ordered Weathertech) and install back seat protectors yourself (actually I took mine off as I did not like them that much - again an overkill - in my opinion - unless you haul dirty cargo or dogs and use them frequently) - they also came with my car.
I had quite a number of Weathertech side deflectors but OEM Subaru look better on OB (in my opinion). On my previous 05 Forester (that my son has in L.A.), I put one that I bought in U.K. It is a one piece OEM deflector that runs from front windows (at rear view mirrors) all the way to the back, covering both windows. It blends much better with roof line and is closer to the window than Weathertech. The 2013 OEM for OB also looks better (in my opinion) that Weathertech - it is also closer to the window than Weathertech.
Puddle Lighting kit is an overkill (in my opinion) - the only reason I have it because it came with my car. Not sure how long that thing will last when all the road dirt, salt etc gets into those lights. The more gizmos one has on a car the more those are prone to failures and repairs. After all, this is a Subaru and not a Caddy...LOL

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Yeah Hallux - I did already order the window deflectors today. I like the Weather Tech ones too. I actually ordered the WT floor liners for my girl that has a new Impreza and lives in heavy snow. I am not sure if you were the one that recommended them in my other thread but they are great.
Thanks very much for the link!!

I just went to look at the seat back protectors I just got to see the instructions and noticed it says "Impreza seat back protectors"!!
Are they the same part?!?!
Sigh. Its gonna be the end of next week till I can do an exchange.
Glad to help, if it was me.

On the seatback protectors, the Outback is part number J501SAJ600 while the Impreza is part number J501SFJ600, according to that vendor I linked before.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats! Used cable tire chains on front wheels (bought a pair at NAPA store there for $ 40). They were needed to get to Tamarack lodge and Lake Mary.
In my humble opinion, I agree Carlvr87: get Subaru OEM side window deflectors (but I see that you've already ordered Weathertech) and install back seat protectors yourself (actually I took mine off as I did not like them that much - again an overkill - in my opinion - unless you haul dirty cargo or dogs and use them frequently) - they also came with my car.
I had quite a number of Weathertech side deflectors but OEM Subaru look better on OB (in my opinion). On my previous 05 Forester (that my son has in L.A.), I put one that I bought in U.K. It is a one piece OEM deflector that runs from front windows (at rear view mirrors) all the way to the back, covering both windows. It blends much better with roof line and is closer to the window than Weathertech. The 2013 OEM for OB also looks better (in my opinion) that Weathertech - it is also closer to the window than Weathertech.
Puddle Lighting kit is an overkill (in my opinion) - the only reason I have it because it came with my car. Not sure how long that thing will last when all the road dirt, salt etc gets into those lights. The more gizmos one has on a car the more those are prone to failures and repairs. After all, this is a Subaru and not a Caddy...LOL
nope - I was saying I ordered the weather tech for the floor mats for my girlfriends car.

more later...

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loved Tamarack when I stayed there - one of their small cabins. Hope you had a great time!!

Yeah so I bought 2 parts from Sub dealer near me today - one was a special order. Got 15% off. I still want to get the interior lights. My car came with the puddle lights though - I actually LOVE the puddle lights. But yeah - wonder how long they will last because of their location.

I just realized I still have my chains for my last outback (think I had to use them once). I will have to sell them as this wheel is a different size I think.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Did you get package group # 23 ? Looks like you did. My sticker price was 34,885 including following options that were on the car:

Body side molding Crystal Black Silica
All weather floor mats
Puddle lights
Rear Seat protectors
Remote Engine starter
Splash Guards
Sunshade
Wheel Locks

I've added so far:
Side windows deflectors
2" trailed hitch
Wheel arch moldings
Rear gate chrome grab bar
Rear arm rest cig/power outlet
Weathertech front and rear all weather (tray type) floor mats
Front hood (clear film) protector
3 x rear cargo nets with 4 mushroom hooks

I've paid $ 31,236 - no sales tax because I bought it in a different State. Also, I've leased the car and therefore my "tax" is being paid in lease payments.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you get package group # 23 ? Looks like you did. My sticker price was 34,885 including following options that were on the car:

Body side molding Crystal Black Silica
All weather floor mats
Puddle lights
Rear Seat protectors
Remote Engine starter
Splash Guards
Sunshade
Wheel Locks

I've added so far:
Side windows deflectors
2" trailed hitch
Wheel arch moldings
Rear gate chrome grab bar
Rear arm rest cig/power outlet
Weathertech front and rear all weather (tray type) floor mats
Front hood (clear film) protector
3 x rear cargo nets with 4 mushroom hooks

I've paid $ 31,236 - no sales tax because I bought it in a different State. Also, I've leased the car and therefore my "tax" is being paid in lease payments.

#23 is Special Appearance Package right? Yes I got that.

What clear film did you get? Do you like it?
I would like to protect the front hood - wasnt happy how chipped it got on my last OB but dont really want the plastic protector for that.
I am considering the body side moldings. I saw them on an outback here in the forum and liked them more than I thought I did. Do you have a link to a pic of yours?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I really like the hood film - this is my second one. I got it from the company called Cleardefender (Google Cleardefender in Tampa, FL). Pics are attached but you cannot really see it because it blends nicely with the hood and paint. You can only notice it, when you are very close. I had the same film on my 2010 Forester. Absolutely no problem for 3 years in hot FL weather and sunshine! They have also U-tube instructions, how to apply it. If you have not done it before, it's better to have it installed. Most window tinting shops do it. But there are many other companies out there (on eBay) that sell pre-cut front hood film.
Body side moldings are a must!

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I really like the hood film - this is my second one. I got it from the company called Cleardefender (Google Cleardefender in Tampa, FL). Pics are attached but you cannot really see it because it blends nicely with the hood and paint. You can only notice it, when you are very close. I had the same film on my 2010 Forester. Absolutely no problem for 3 years in hot FL weather and sunshine! They have also U-tube instructions, how to apply it. If you have not done it before, it's better to have it installed. Most window tinting shops do it. But there are many other companies out there (on eBay) that sell pre-cut front hood film.
Body side moldings are a must!
Just curious, why did you get the hood film when you leased the car? Are you planning to buy the car at the end of the lease?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts