Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm not new to Subaru, I currently have a 2016 Forester XT Premium and like many things about it but there are a few things I don't like. My likes on the FXT are the acceleration, sporty feel, moonroof, gas milieage, handling, performance in wet/snowy weather, and few more things.
A couple of things I don't like, rough ride (I know it's a sport model), noisy, front seat comfort (kind of short leg support), lack of auto locking doors and few other minor things. I'm considering a 3.6 OB Limited and have driven one, though only briefly, and seems pretty nice. It's no XT in acceleration but has good pick up.

Anyways... I'm sure there are others here that have gone from an FXT to an OB 3.6, what are you likes and dislikes going from one to the other?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Size difference for sure! I think the comfort aspect will be equal with the all new 2019 Forester. Cargo space might be better in the new Forester.

Keep in mind the Legacy /OB as of yesterday will be on the oldest platform of the Subaru models so the OB driving dynamics may not be as nice as the new Forester on the stiffer Global platform. If it were me? And I had to buy before the new OB on the new global platform was out? I would probably for the first time ever heavily consider the 2019 Forester and see / drive that before deciding.

All indications point to the global platform models having far better handling characteristics than the current OB which even with updates to stiffen it up its ok but not fantastic. Subaru keeps pointing out they really wanted Mazda x9 level driving experience in the Ascent. Which to me means they heard the complaints and really did see there was room for driving dynamics improvement. The Impreza gained some kudos for its rigid solid feel after it went on the global platform. So the Forester and OB/Legacy should see big improvements here also.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size difference for sure! I think the comfort aspect will be equal with the all new 2019 Forester. Cargo space might be better in the new Forester.

Keep in mind the Legacy /OB as of yesterday will be on the oldest platform of the Subaru models so the OB driving dynamics may not be as nice as the new Forester on the stiffer Global platform. If it were me? And I had to buy before the new OB on the new global platform was out? I would probably for the first time ever heavily consider the 2019 Forester and see / drive that before deciding.

All indications point to the global platform models having far better handling characteristics than the current OB which even with updates to stiffen it up its ok but not fantastic. Subaru keeps pointing out they really wanted Mazda x9 level driving experience in the Ascent. Which to me means they heard the complaints and really did see there was room for driving dynamics improvement. The Impreza gained some kudos for its rigid solid feel after it went on the global platform. So the Forester and OB/Legacy should see big improvements here also.
Thanks for your feedback. I don't want another Forester, I want something a little bigger and more upscale. Just really wondering if it was a big disappoitment going from the XT to something not so sporty. Honestly, I was considering the new Accord Sport 2.0 but feel there are many limitations not having all wheel drive, less cargo room and overall utility. I would consider the new Ascent but it seems a little too big.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Check out the new Forester video. All that I see suggests it gets equal interior quality aspects that the OB has. I have always preferred the Legacy/Outback over the Forester but between now and 2020 when the Outback gets the new platform I think the Forester might edge out the OB regarding room and comfort plus the superior platform for better driving dynamics

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
As for power it is what it is. But to be fair I never owned a 4spd AT subaru because the 4spd AT was horrible hence my 01 5spd Legacy GT. Replaced in 2010 with cvt 2.5 OB. The cvt especially in the mountains is a massive upgrade over the old 4spd AT and even better than the old 5spd given it just has far better ratio options to keep the engine in its happy place.

The 3.6 is nice but its not fast and sooner than later its going to be retired and replaced by some type of DIT 4cylinder variation.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Wilderness Green
78 Posts
You may have seen my recent intro thread, but I just traded in my 17 FXT Premium for a 3.6R Touring this past weekend. As you pointed out, the XT is definitely sportier and quicker and faster. I liked all of those qualities, but could not get over the uncomfortable seat. It unfortunately trumped everything else.

Anyway, the OB is the cruiser that everyone says it is. However, its handling isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The XT is definitely sharper, but the OB is pretty good for what it is. I do miss the the fun factor of a boosted engine, but there's something really nice about the smooth delivery of the H6. Also, I'm definitely enjoying the quieter cabin and of course the more comfortable seat. Take everything I say with a grain of salt though since I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the OB.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have seen my recent intro thread, but I just traded in my 17 FXT Premium for a 3.6R Touring this past weekend. As you pointed out, the XT is definitely sportier and quicker and faster. I liked all of those qualities, but could not get over the uncomfortable seat. It unfortunately trumped everything else.

Anyway, the OB is the cruiser that everyone says it is. However, its handling isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The XT is definitely sharper, but the OB is pretty good for what it is. I do miss the the fun factor of a boosted engine, but there's something really nice about the smooth delivery of the H6. Also, I'm definitely enjoying the quieter cabin and of course the more comfortable seat. Take everything I say with a grain of salt though since I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the OB.
Yes havn - I did see your thread. How is your overall gas mileage, big difference from the FXT? I look forward to the quietness and the OB being comfortable than the FXT but I started doing a little more research regarding quickness. According to MotorTrend, the 2016 FXT does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and the 2018 OB3.6 does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, so not too much of a difference. I know the 3.6OB is not a sports car but I need some degree of quickness for me. So maybe my quickness concern is not really that big of a concern afterall. Just as you say regarding the boost, it will put you back in your seat, and I know the 3.6OB won't do that but it would have as you say a steady acceleration. I know recently I drove a 4cy Legacy as a loaner and I felt it was OK in acceleration up to 30 but 30-50, I felt it was truely gutless and definately not for me. As for considering a 2019 Forester, two things really sold me on my Forester, the quickness of it and the huge moonroof, if the quickness goes away, I probably would not have even considered the FXT to begin with. Besides, I really would like a little more room than my Forester.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes havn - I did see your thread. How is your overall gas mileage, big difference from the FXT? I look forward to the quietness and the OB being comfortable than the FXT but I started doing a little more research regarding quickness. According to MotorTrend, the 2016 FXT does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and the 2018 OB3.6 does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, so not too much of a difference. I know the 3.6OB is not a sports car but I need some degree of quickness for me. So maybe my quickness concern is not really that big of a concern afterall. Just as you say regarding the boost, it will put you back in your seat, and I know the 3.6OB won't do that but it would have as you say a steady acceleration. I know recently I drove a 4cy Legacy as a loaner and I felt it was OK in acceleration up to 30 but 30-50, I felt it was truely gutless and definately not for me. As for considering a 2019 Forester, two things really sold me on my Forester, the quickness of it and the huge moonroof, if the quickness goes away, I probably would not have even considered the FXT to begin with. Besides, I really would like a little more room than my Forester.
The FXT is definitely quicker than the 3.6R using the butt dyno as well, but the latter is no slouch though. It'll get you where you need to go. I would say that it feels a little less quick than the FXT in I-mode, but part of the reason for this is because it's just so much smoother too. You also have remember that the 3.6R is about 250 lbs heavier than the FXT P so it loses a few ponies when normalized to the latter.

Overall, so far I haven't been disappointed and it doesn't feel gutless. However, I haven't gone up any mountain passes yet, but I am assuming it should be fine based on my experience driving around town and what I've read from others.

In regards to fuel efficiency, I am still on my first tank of gas, so not sure. Currently my readout has 21.9 MPG, so this probably translate to 19 to 19.5 MPG in real life! However, I do like 70/30 city/highway driving and have a short commute, so not exactly conducive to high fuel efficiency. Also, I've been stomping on the car during this break-in period. I'm still only at 250 miles.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Does Subaru still suggest keeping it under 4000rpm the first 1500miles? My last two cars I followed the Subaru published breakin and have never had any issues. My current Subaru is just shy 100,000 miles and is great zero issues. Same for my last one that was sold to a local kid at 180,000. Last I saw him it had 240,000.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts

There will be no XT Model Forester for 2019. It’s a shame too, that DIT engine it has now is rather nice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does Subaru still suggest keeping it under 4000rpm the first 1500miles? My last two cars I followed the Subaru published breakin and have never had any issues. My current Subaru is just shy 100,000 miles and is great zero issues. Same for my last one that was sold to a local kid at 180,000. Last I saw him it had 240,000.
It's under 4K for the first 1,000 miles. Have always followed the break-in procedure for all the Subies I've driven as well have never had any engine issues either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts