Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the negativity but my sense of humor regarding Subaru and user interfaces is fading....

SD card... it is intended to be able to store music and... it is required to run MAPS. The problem appears to be you can't do both. Is there a way to download the maps program on to a new SD card AND... load music on the same card so that card swaps are not required?

Or... does Subaru expect the user to swap SD cards as they drive down the road? and never check maps while playing music?

Inquiring minds seek wisdom. Any ideas ?

Thanks !!

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,757 Posts
Typically, the SD cards used for factory maps are encoded with authentication markers to prevent unauthorized duplication and sale. It's like VCR Copyguard. I've read a few piracy pages about those that have broken it, but I've also heard of nav systems that have bricked when people have attempted it. I wouldn't recommend you try.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,498 Posts
Sorry for the negativity but my sense of humor regarding Subaru and user interfaces is fading....

SD card... it is intended to be able to store music and... it is required to run MAPS. The problem appears to be you can't do both.
- Music/video/image files saved to the map SD card cannot be played. [2015 Outback Multimedia Manual, p. 81] So, this conclusion appears to be correct.

Is there a way to download the maps program on to a new SD card AND... load music on the same card so that card swaps are not required?
Apparently not.

Or... does Subaru expect the user to swap SD cards as they drive down the road? and never check maps while playing music?

Inquiring minds seek wisdom. Any ideas ?

Thanks !!
I don't have nav, so I didn't even know it was possible to play music, images, or video from the SD cards at all, until now. From the description, it sounds like that's a decidedly secondary use for this interface.

It might be a problem that the I/O activity between system and SD card necessary to support the real-time map display may make music playback unsatisfactory (or vice-versa), and this is a way to avoid that altogether, but that's just a guess.

If you put your music on a USB stick, you can listen to your tunes as you navigate right along. Seems easier, anyway.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,194 Posts
Typically, the SD cards used for factory maps are encoded with authentication markers to prevent unauthorized duplication and sale. It's like VCR Copyguard. I've read a few piracy pages about those that have broken it, but I've also heard of nav systems that have bricked when people have attempted it. I wouldn't recommend you try.
This answers a question that popped into my head recently reading the nav update threads. I'm always leery about doing any updates on anything without backing up the old stuff. I was thinking maybe I could copy the original SD card to a new one and update that one. Then if the update failed or screwed something up I would still have the original.

I guess that is out.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I resolved this by buying a small $6.99 microSD to usb converter. Maps stay in what is (and should be documented as such) a dedicated microSD slot in the front panel as there really is no other use for it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
I resolved this by buying a small $6.99 microSD to usb converter. Maps stay in what is (and should be documented as such) a dedicated microSD slot in the front panel as there really is no other use for it.
I've tried a microSD-to-USB adapter in my 2017 Outback (with Navigation), and I find that every time I restart the car, I have to remove and re-insert the USB adapter before the car recognizes the card and reads the music files on it. However, if I just use a regular USB memory stick (not a microSD adapter), the car reads it fine upon startup. Have you noticed similar behavior?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely have not seen that scenario. Micro adapter just sits in the USB port, no issues on restart.

The writing on the side of the device says "cococka otg/usb multi function card reader/writer". You can find it on Amazon and elsewhere for $6.99

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
Absolutely have not seen that scenario. Micro adapter just sits in the USB port, no issues on restart.

The writing on the side of the device says "cococka otg/usb multi function card reader/writer". You can find it on Amazon and elsewhere for $6.99
Thanks for your reply. My understanding is that MicroSD-to-USB adapters are just connectors, that is, they don't contain any electronics at all, they just reroute connections from the card pins to the USB pins. Maybe mine (a SanDisk MobileMate adapter) is bad, but it works fine when I plug it into my PC, and once I unplug it and replug it in the Outback, it works fine there too. So I'm a bit stumped. Nevertheless, I'll try a different adapter, and see if that changes the behavior.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts