Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a front 02 (AF senior) connector for the engine that plugs in to the senior. I just had a transition put in and in doing that the wires in the connector got pulled out. Anyone know if there is a place I can get another connector or is this an OEM part only?

Thanks in advance :29:

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well turns out I can’t get just the connector from Subaru. They want to sell me the entire harness :crying: going to take the car back to the guy that put the transmission in and hopefully he can fix it.

Right now I’m getting a P32 code and it’s got a new AF senior in it less than 4 weeks old

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s a 4 cylinder. The wires from the connector on the engine side is the ones that got pulled out. Now I’m not sure if there putting the right wire in the right spot. The 02 senior I bought less than 4 weeks ago is an oem from Subaru. I think what happened is when the guy put the senior in he cut the wires on the engine side of the connector thinking it was the 02 side. I need to see the wires in the connector to make sure I have the right wires in the right spot.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,689 Posts
you need to know what wire goes where or what ?

2x White (Heater wires)
1x Black (Signal wire)
1x Gray (Ground Wire)

boshautoparts page says do not solder those wires because it will reduce life of sensor

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,689 Posts
so you just need connector. im afraid you wont find those sold as separately.
solutions: buy new 02 sensor , or take bad O2 sensor and use that connector with wire and connect it with your wire.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't be of help as the 4 pin sensors on the H6 harness appears to be different.

I would post something in the classifieds if you need the harness, someone might be parting out a car or have access to one they can cut and send to you.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i've repaired connectors before. if you investigate carefully often times you can repair them.

1. pull a part yards - find one locally and go get it.

2. post in the classified section here or on USMB.

3. look on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and look up engines for your vehicle. sort by price and at the end most of the "core" engines will show up cheap or "call". call them and ask if they'll hack the connector off their junk engine for you.

4. If Glennda5id has a 6 cylinder plug - as long as they're the same number of wires (or as long as the 6 cylinder has more wires than the 4 cylinder) - you could take an engine side and sensor side H6 connectors and splice them into your engine side/sensor side H4 vehicle. Less than ideal but it would work if done right.

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went to Subaru after work and got a wiring diagram to just see if the wires are in the right spot and there not this is what they gave me unless I’m reading this wrong it looks to me like the white and yellow wires are switched. I don’t know if I’m reading it right or not :frown2: any input will be much appreciated :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
The diagram in photo 2 above appears correct as to which wire color is at each of the four positions. However, that diagram is not looking at the back of the connector, where the wires go in (photo 1 above). Rather, the diagram is looking at the connector where it attaches to the connector on the sensor; i.e., "face on", with the lock/guide at the top. I can't tell from photo 1 how the gray connector is oriented.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Here's the harness connector again with the colors, but I've added the functions for each color. (Refer also to the attached pdf wiring diagram.)

From your earlier photo of the sensor connector, it looks as if the two heater wires are white. Double-check that by measuring the resistance between those two heater wires at the sensor connector. It should be somewhere around 5 Ohms, maybe less. The two heater wires are next to each other at the bottom (pins 3 and 4).

The other two wires are the signal wires for the sensor itself.

If your first photo is looking at the harness connector face-on, with the locking tab at the top, then yes, it corresponds to the diagram of the connector. The two heater wires would be at the two bottom pins.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From your earlier photo of the sensor connector, it looks as if the two heater wires are white
Here is a picture from a previous post of the connector at a different orientation with the wires in the same location showing the color of the wires a little better :laugh:

Thank you so much for all your help

Attachments

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
I thought the attached ECM Input/Output table might be of interest. In the wiring diagram attached above, three wires from the sensor go to the ECM, and the ECM connections are identified. The I/O table then shows what those connections are for. I've highlighted the A/F Sensor connections. Keep in mind that only three of the sensor lines go to the ECM. The fourth, the Yellow/Red wire, is a 12 V heater supply from the main relay.

It's hard to tell from the photos which way the connector itself is oriented, and the wire colors are not really obvious except perhaps for the yellow/red wire, and the solid red wire. The colors of the other two appear too similar in my display to definitively distinguish (they might be more obvious when looked at directly).

I notice that the sensor connector (photo in post #4) has four female contacts. The main harness connector, therefore, should have four male contacts. If there's still some uncertainty of where each wire should be, could you get a "head-on" photo (or more than one) of the harness connector, showing the connector case and the four pins inside? That way we can confirm where each of the four wires should be (same as the marked-up diagram)?

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I went to pick and pull yard and got a connector off one of there junk cars and it looked like the only wires switched was the red and the yel/red wires. The guy just gave me the connector. 0:) So I just put that connector on and bam no light :29:

Thank you for all your help I do appreciate it a lot

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on my Outback

Now that the AF sensor is in I took it for a ride to cycle and I got a 420 code. I found out from the dealer my Outback should only have 2 sensors the front (AF) and the rear

In the picture my rear 02 is in the middle of the cat not the back. That’s how it was when I bought it.

My question is should the sensor be in the back of the Cat?

Attachments

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Sort of towards the back. If the shields are intact, the sensor goes through the upper cover, and appears to not be at the very end of the cat itself, but under the cover, the sensor is entering the back end of the cat. (See attached) There's a rear cat (#14), but there's no sensors shown. Not the same as your diagram . . .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts