Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked and searched but maybe didn't use the right terms or keywords....

Has anyone played around with adding a front airdam to a 4th or 5th gen OB?
You will notice almost all new 1/2 ton pickups have the front bumper lowered and an air dam added to improve aerodynamics and gas mileage.
I think this would be an on-road improvement for OBs as well. There may also be an additional benefit of reducing or eliminating the buffeting the OB experiences in turbulent airflow (as when approaching the back of a semi trailer ) and wandering in crosswinds.
I did some cursory looking around the 'net and saw some mention of airdams on pickups making 1-2 mpg difference on some models.

I'm not suggesting any kind of high dollar custom carbon fiber air splitter that sits millimeters off the ground, but perhaps a temporary air dam (fab'ed from rubber garden edging?) that would reduce some of the air that gets underneath the OB while going down the interstate. I say 'temporary' so it can be removed for off-pavement adventures.

discuss.....

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
I like the ...

"fab something from the garden or building materials isle"

Some aluminum flashing, maybe some weatherstripping. Get some t-nuts for fastening through the bumper skin. Then stop at AutoZone for some carbon fiber wrap.

Then ... watch out for parking blocks and curbs.

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
I like the ...

"fab something from the garden or building materials isle"

Some aluminum flashing, maybe some weatherstripping. Get some t-nuts for fastening through the bumper skin. Then stop at AutoZone for some carbon fiber wrap.

Then ... watch out for parking blocks and curbs.

@Brucey did something like that on his dark green 2000 outback. ...with smooth disc wheel covers. I guess trying to get a lower drag coefficient.

Brucey
'17 3.6
Garden edging works great.

Check out ecomodder.com for some ideas.

I used coroplast which works well since I had it block the lower grill opening and fog lights as well.

On the Super Mod Squad
Garden edging works great.

Check out ecomodder.com for some ideas.

I used coroplast which works well since I had it block the lower grill opening and fog lights as well.
regardless of what the big diesels do when it is freezing out.

blocking grill openings on a valuable subaru sounds bad, :surprise:

like something you would not want to do when it is more then 30 degrees F out.

Brucey
'17 3.6
regardless of what the big diesels do when it is freezing out.

blocking grill openings on a valuable subaru sounds bad, :surprise:

like something you would not want to do when it is more then 30 degrees F out.
Worked fine. Never over heated. Drove to Utah in summer. Car looked like this for years.

On the Super Mod Squad
Worked fine. Never over heated. Drove to Utah in summer. Car looked like this for years.
too bad you did not make that out of high strength steel to break ice with.

either way the designers of Boaty McBoatface ripped you off

On the Super Mod Squad
I forgot, what kind of mpg did you get with that, before and after the mods?

I had a 2000 2.5 outback wagon automatic and it got like 23 mpg on 87 octane, and 27mpg on 93 octane.

these # were straight rural 2 lanes, and 4 lanes, no idling, no city. I lost it in a MVA and replaced it with the faster 3.0.

Brucey
'17 3.6
I forgot, what kind of mpg did you get with that, before and after the mods?

I had a 2000 2.5 outback wagon automatic and it got like 23 mpg on 87 octane, and 27mpg on 93 octane.

these # were straight rural 2 lanes, and 4 lanes, no idling, no city. I lost it in a MVA and replaced it with the faster 3.0.
28 mpg lifetime. 36 mpg highway best case average. Calculated at pump.

2000 Subaru Outback Gas Mileage (Lesbaru) - EcoModder.com

On the Super Mod Squad

Brucey
'17 3.6
that is a really really impressive list, and I guess most of that was on regular local base octane? (I see some colorado stuff there).
The cheapest watered down gas I could find. Nothing but. I would say the mods (lrr tires, wheel caps, front dam) are worth about half of the improvement and driving style was the other half.

No offense but that's fugly! :grin2:
None taken. I even agree with you but didn't care because I'm yet to see another Gen 2 average 28 mpg lifetime average.

On the Super Mod Squad
The cheapest watered down gas I could find. Nothing but. I would say the mods (lrr tires, wheel caps, front dam) are worth about half of the improvement and driving style was the other half.

None taken. I even agree with you but didn't care because I'm yet to see another Gen 2 average 28 mpg lifetime average.

I get 29 regularly on my 2.5 sedan,

maybe 26 at worst in the winter when there is more, short trips, cold starts in cold weather, and idling, to be had in this car,
...got some used snows for it, vs. the michelin primacy that it uses for 3 seasons.

so 29mpg for 8 months, and 26mpg for 4 months = 28 mpg on the button.

I don't tabulate in a computer or on the net anywhere how much I get, just penciling in the miles on the receipt and figuring it out with a calculator. (I don't save the receipts).

I usually take the wagon in winter as it is a better performer on messy pavement,..and I put studs on that (nice when there is a hint of freezing rain, or odd places in a trip where there is a snow drift or icy in a short stretch.).

It runs on 2 and 4 lanes, almost never parked idling for A/C or heat,..or in urban crawling traffic,...lots of 45mph to 65mph.
maybe as fast as 73 on the 4 lanes at any given time. (not trying to hyper mile anywhere).

pumping just plain old local lowest octane 87,... I hunt the cheapest, busy name brand stations,...so maybe only a penny more then places I would skip. (I get from at present: gulf, citgo, sunoco, mobil,..and sometimes quickcheck which is larger local chain from NJ).

a outback sedan is just a little lighter then a outback wagon.

3495 lbs for that limited H4 sedan,
3565 for a similar 2002 limited wagon

as per cars101.
2002 Subaru Outback options, prices, colors, all years. Seattle

the only mods: I tossed the optional air dam thing off the front of the moon roof in the first few months I got it, this car also had a huge factory spoiler on the back, i took it off as it was eating typical sedan rust hole in the trunk lid where it was mounted.

dumping that optional thing on the moon roof probably helped a lot, the wind noise it made was like riding in a helicopter. (a lot worse then factory cross bars on a wagon)
the spoiler I know from regular calculations, I did not gain anything in taking it off. it was fixed horizontal and was just there for looks.

edit: and running 5w30 full synthetic year round on that sedan too.

Brucey
'17 3.6
I get 29 regularly on my 2.5 sedan,

maybe 26 at worst in the winter when there is more, short trips, cold starts in cold weather, and idling, to be had in this car,
...got some used snows for it, vs. the michelin primacy that it uses for 3 seasons.

so 29mpg for 8 months, and 26mpg for 4 months = 28 mpg on the button.

I don't tabulate in a computer or on the net anywhere how much I get, just penciling in the miles on the receipt and figuring it out with a calculator. (I don't save the receipts).

I usually take the wagon in winter as it is a better performer on messy pavement,..and I put studs on that (nice when there is a hint of freezing rain, or odd places in a trip where there is a snow drift or icy in a short stretch.).

It runs on 2 and 4 lanes, almost never parked idling for A/C or heat,..or in urban crawling traffic,...lots of 45mph to 65mph.
maybe as fast as 73 on the 4 lanes at any given time. (not trying to hyper mile anywhere).

pumping just plain old local lowest octane 87,... I hunt the cheapest, busy name brand stations,...so maybe only a penny more then places I would skip. (I get from at present: gulf, citgo, sunoco, mobil,..and sometimes quickcheck which is larger local chain from NJ).

a outback sedan is just a little lighter then a outback wagon.

3495 lbs for that limited H4 sedan,
3565 for a similar 2002 limited wagon

as per cars101.
2002 Subaru Outback options, prices, colors, all years. Seattle

the only mods: I tossed the optional air dam thing off the front of the moon roof in the first few months I got it, this car also had a huge factory spoiler on the back, i took it off as it was eating typical sedan rust hole in the trunk lid where it was mounted.

dumping that optional thing on the moon roof probably helped a lot, the wind noise it made was like riding in a helicopter. (a lot worse then factory cross bars on a wagon)
the spoiler I know from regular calculations, I did not gain anything in taking it off. it was fixed horizontal and was just there for looks.
If you really are getting that average that is exceptional.

If you check some data of average most lifetime is around 22 for the 2000 Outback. If you remove outliers like people claiming to get 87 mpg most fall in 22-23-24 lifetime.

2000 Subaru Outback MPG - Actual MPG from 116 2000 Subaru Outback owners

On the Super Mod Squad
If you really are getting that average that is exceptional.

If you check some data of average most lifetime is around 22 for the 2000 Outback. If you remove outliers like people claiming to get 87 mpg most fall in 22-23-24 lifetime.

2000 Subaru Outback MPG - Actual MPG from 116 2000 Subaru Outback owners

conversely I was only getting 27mpg on 93 octane on my 2000 2.5 wagon, (that was automatic also, AWP = winter pack).

when I first had it, I was running 87 octane and only getting 23mpg or so. at the time high octane gas only cost 25 cents more, so the expense of it was easily paid for in the higher mpg.

lost that one it in a wreck, in 2002, bought the faster 3.0 car.

my 2000 wagon was a really early one. bought it in October of 1999,

so only some 1999-2000 japanese made foresters would have a earlier Ej251 engine.

I always thought subaru must have massaged more good thought over the period that my 2000 was made in august ? 1999 to the the sedan's date of manufacture in december of 2001 for me to get such better numbers off plain old 87 octane.

I never did try higher octane in this current one.

Brucey
'17 3.6
Doesn't the 3.0 recommend premium fuel?

I thought they had issues with the #6 cylinder if you ran 87.

On the Super Mod Squad
Doesn't the 3.0 recommend premium fuel?

I thought they had issues with the #6 cylinder if you ran 87.
I presently have 2 x 2002 cars.

one 2.5 limited sedan chugging along on a steady diet of 87 octane. (bought well used with 60,000 miles, from someone in a neighboring town)

one 3.0 VDC wagon. cruising along on a steady diet of 93 octane. at about 27mpg in 3 seasons, and maybe 23 mpg in winter.
(bought slightly used, a 15,000 mile corp demo in 2002,...as a replacement for a wrecked 2000 2.5 wagon)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts