Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 months ago, I replaced the front axle passenger side with a complete axle from O'Brien Auto Parts Store. 3 weeks ago, I noticed an oil smell and the oil was leaking onto the exhaust. The axle popped from the engine case about an inch out. I jacked up the care and popped it back in. It happened again today twice. Any suggestions or similar situations with this?

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
The stub, when inserted properly, usually needs to be pried out of the differential, for example, when changing the axle. If it just slips in and can be pulled out by hand, it isn't locked in.

The stub end of the axles should have a circlip near the inner end. This engages with a groove in the differential side gear to lock the stub in place. Sometimes it's hard to push the stub in far enough so that the clip engages the groove.

Or perhaps the clip is missing or broken.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
When I removed my right-front damaged axle (inner boot torn) and then when I set my new '05 right-front axle (rebuild) into position about a month ago, I needed a good size bar to pry it away from the right differential casing. Once off, I first checked that the measurements of both axles were identical, and they were, when the axles were pushed together tightly.

When installing the rebuild, I also found that I could not get the axle set into place, the dust shield ring being out about 3/4" from the right side of the differential. I ended up pulling on the inner bearing to essentially use it as a hammer to push the inner portion in. I pulled it out several inches and pushed in with a bit of force. Before doing this, the metal dirt-dust shield that rides just at the hole opening just outside the right differential seal did not seem to want to go all the way in. When I used the axle, itself as a hammer, in a way, it went all the way in.

When the axle was straight, I placed the locknut on the right end (the splined end that was now inserted in the right hub). I put the nut on backwards, flush with the right end of the axle and used a heavy hammer to pound two fairly-solid blows to be sure that the axle was set in place. The axle did not move in any further, and furthermore, there was definitely a solid-sound to the double hammer of that right axle end. I knew I had set the axle in such a way so that inner clip caught and held the new axle in place.

In the shop manual, it states that the axle is a certain length. There are a number of things that can cause this length to be wrong. Worn parts, something bent due to collision or accident and the bending of the frame or even the engine and trans mount positions themselves can prevent an axle from staying in place.

I should therefore ask you, are you certain your car has not been in an accident? Could someone have hit something so hard with the right front end that they caused one or more of the parts to become bent? It may be that you did set it in place, however unless everything is RIGHT with the rest of the car, you may experience the axle falling out of the differential again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I removed my right-front damaged axle (inner boot torn) and then when I set my new '05 right-front axle (rebuild) into position about a month ago, I needed a good size bar to pry it away from the right differential casing. Once off, I first checked that the measurements of both axles were identical, and they were, when the axles were pushed together tightly.

When installing the rebuild, I also found that I could not get the axle set into place, the dust shield ring being out about 3/4" from the right side of the differential. I ended up pulling on the inner bearing to essentially use it as a hammer to push the inner portion in. I pulled it out several inches and pushed in with a bit of force. Before doing this, the metal dirt-dust shield that rides just at the hole opening just outside the right differential seal did not seem to want to go all the way in. When I used the axle, itself as a hammer, in a way, it went all the way in.

When the axle was straight, I placed the locknut on the right end (the splined end that was now inserted in the right hub). I put the nut on backwards, flush with the right end of the axle and used a heavy hammer to pound two fairly-solid blows to be sure that the axle was set in place. The axle did not move in any further, and furthermore, there was definitely a solid-sound to the double hammer of that right axle end. I knew I had set the axle in such a way so that inner clip caught and held the new axle in place.

In the shop manual, it states that the axle is a certain length. There are a number of things that can cause this length to be wrong. Worn parts, something bent due to collision or accident and the bending of the frame or even the engine and trans mount positions themselves can prevent an axle from staying in place.

I should therefore ask you, are you certain your car has not been in an accident? Could someone have hit something so hard with the right front end that they caused one or more of the parts to become bent? It may be that you did set it in place, however unless everything is RIGHT with the rest of the car, you may experience the axle falling out of the differential again!
Thank you for your reply. I bought the car new and it has not been in an accident. My question now would be -- Can I push back the axle without taking off the wheel and taking the axle from the spindle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stub, when inserted properly, usually needs to be pried out of the differential, for example, when changing the axle. If it just slips in and can be pulled out by hand, it isn't locked in.

The stub end of the axles should have a circlip near the inner end. This engages with a groove in the differential side gear to lock the stub in place. Sometimes it's hard to push the stub in far enough so that the clip engages the groove.

Or perhaps the clip is missing or broken.
Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts