Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB, Limited...before had 2010 OB, Premium, 6MT, HK
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Outback has 190k miles on it. I had pads and rotors replaced on the front yesterday. Initial drive home after was good. No squeaks, clunks, or rattles, and braking seemed solid. I have a 50 mile mostly highway commute. On the drive in this morning, everything seemed fine until I pulled onto the side roads on the last bit of the drive to the office.

The last street is uneven and a little bumpy. I can clearly hear clunk noises from the front left when going over those bumps. The clunks happened when driving when I was driving 30mph and under, and I wasn't using the brakes at the time.

Over lunch, I'm going to check to make sure the lug nuts are tight. I called the shop and they said to bring it in, but that's an hour drive back. What are some of the most likely suspects making the sound? Loose caliper bolts? Other?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2002 H6 Bean 4EAT ~240000
41 Posts
Definitely jack it up and check the wheel for play and the lugs, brake calipers and housing, those should be the only thing they touched but I can't see any of those making clunks and not causing braking issues. Maybe they forgot to reattach the brake line and that is banging around? Left a caliper hanger in the coils?

It could just be chance time and your ball joint, tie rod or suspension bushing is going.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,577 Posts
seems like it could be a sway bar endlink, but it would be quite the coincidence to go bad after a brake job....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts