Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6MT w/AWP
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received my plates from the DMV yesterday in the mail, and this is my first "new" car, so I'm not familiar with license plate mounting and whatnot. In Nevada:
Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate. (NRS 482.275)
So I go to remove the dealer-placed cheap plastic frame to find that they're aren't the white plastic inserts you drive the screw into when mounting the rear plates, and instead find the cheap plastic frame drilled directly into the front bumper:
front_bumper.JPG
What gives? Why doesn't the dealer just leave the front bumper "as is" instead of putting two 1/4" holes in it? Or, does the bumper come with smaller "starts" that the dealer sticks their dumb plastic advertisements in? I don't care if I have a front plate or not, but I do care about the holes. Can I get Subie to replace the front bumper? Because, to me, it seems as though "the vehicle was not designed for a front plate".

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
I highly doubt Subaru will spring for a new bumper.

Enjoy the holes, you paid a dealer prep fee and that is part of the prep they do now a days

·
Registered
'13 Outback Premium 6MT
110 Posts
Standard procedure at the dealer. Even in AZ where you don't get a front plate most dealers will put the holes in the bumper to hold their advertisement.

I paid my sales guy $50 to not allow the holes to go in the bumper since my car hadn't been delivered yet. The deal was that good and I hate the holes that much...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Umm front bumpers are just self tapping screws into the ABS plastic bumper. They don't put fancy threaded fittings in the flimsy ABS bumpers.

Pretty sure most states these days require front plates due to all the tech used today for fast pass and toll monitoring etc. Not a big deal. By the way if you park anyplace where parallel parking takes place do not put a frame on your bumper parallel parking will destroy it in nothing flat and the frame will get compressed into the ABS bumper and cut through it causing even more damage. The Basic plate with two self tapping screws works just fine and even in parallel parking the flat plate being compressed by a minivan won't damage your ABS bumper.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
No front plates here in WV and every car on my dealer's lot has holes in it. (OH is right across the border and does require them) I asked that they not put them in my car, but they traded from another dealer and they were already there. My dealer didn't even put a plate there.

Interestingly enough my '08 LGT didn't have a front plate or holes. They actually made a bracket that didn't put holes in the bumper. I have yet to live in a state that requires them (partly intentional).

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
No front plates here in New Mexico either. Despite the fact my car was originally sold here and spent it's hole life here, I've got holes in the front bumper as well.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I think there are 4-5 states which don't do front plates.

Quite a few cars these days are set up the same way- you just run self-tap screws through the plastic and you're done. And that may be the best way, unless you go for something particularly fancy.

When I lived in states that had front plates, I always did best just by screwing the plate straight on to the bumper. Brackets and frames might add a little to the look, but when somebody eventually taps the front bumper, the extra parts tend to magnify the damage.

You can get plastic plugs to fill the holes later if you move, or if you relocate the plate to a fancy offset mount or something. Some website is making a fortune selling color-matched ones to the OCD squad.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited w/ EyeSight
37 Posts
I have a 2012 OB and a 2011 Legacy both with no holes. PA doesn't require a front license plate. Depends on the dealer...

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
My S2000 had nice threaded holes. When I moved from California to New Mexico, I screwed in some tapered, torx, stainless screws. It looked very clean. I wish the Subie had something similar.

·
Registered
'13 Outback Premium 6MT
110 Posts
My S2000 had nice threaded holes. When I moved from California to New Mexico, I screwed in some tapered, torx, stainless screws. It looked very clean. I wish the Subie had something similar.
Honda used to be very good about providing threaded inserts or brackets for the front plate. But margins have driven that out of existence since the tapping screws seem to work for the application. Buyers didn't complain loud enough about it so the method is probably here to stay.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I pushed plastic plugs into the vandalism committed by my dealer.
Front plate or not, it is a low enforcement priority by LEO's.
No front plate is often used by LEO's as a pretext stop for other reasons..
If you have photo enforcement in your community, expect a ticket for not having a front plate..if required.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 5-spd
23 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I love my front holes

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I pushed plastic plugs into the vandalism committed by my dealer.
That, my friend, is a brililiant idea. I've been debating what to do. Mostly because it's just another place to grab bugs and my sponge when I wash the car. I've looked at the plates from subtle solutions, but can't justify the money. I'll probably use some touch up paint, but the black doesn't look bad on the CGP.

http://www.subtle-solutions.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24_27_42&products_id=66

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
No front plates required in FL either....I put my EU plates up front using those white plastic inserts for screws that you can buy at any auto parts store....after drilling an appropriate "tight" hole in the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
That, my friend, is a brililiant idea. I've been debating what to do. Mostly because it's just another place to grab bugs and my sponge when I wash the car. I've looked at the plates from subtle solutions, but can't justify the money. I'll probably use some touch up paint, but the black doesn't look bad on the CGP.

Subtle Solutions
Are they paying him for free advertising embossed on those covers...?....LOL

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I think bumper holes are part of the generic Subaru pre-delivery prep. Unless someone takes the initiative in a no front plate state to not do it. If it's on the checklist it gets done. I just wish they hadn't used screws large enough to hang a big screen TV on.:28:

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6MT w/AWP
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the responses. The fact that I'm not the only one peeved about this makes me feel a little better...

I think bumper holes are part of the generic Subaru pre-delivery prep. Unless someone takes the initiative in a no front plate state to not do it, if it's on the checklist it gets done. I just wish they hadn't used screws large enough to hang a big screen TV on.:28:
Yeah, I agree. My dealership isn't going to do anything about it. I just wish that since you're driving screws into the bumper to display your dealership frame and placard, why not just include the Subaru brand Front License Plate Bracket while you're at it. I think I like idea of the plastic plugs being pushed in the best. I'll probably do that.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
I totally forgot to tell the guy not to drill my bumper during delivery.

I was going to do the grimmspeed relocation mount, but now that its on, whatever...

Not that important, and front plates are required in all the states around me, so if I move, same deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts