Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
May Buy 2013 Outback Premium 2.5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy (was ready to start negotiations) when my wife sat down on a chair in front of the Outback, and said "Now that's ugly".

I said what is it what's wrong.

"That big hole here in the bumper."

Now I don't know what that big hole is called but I think it is designed to bring the air into the radiator area.

It is rather big with no real styling features, so anyway the deal went sideways and we left.

The discussion with the wife was find a way to make that big hole look better.

Has anyone run into this issue or modified this part of the car?

Is there a kit to do it or do I have to fabricate something?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,223 Posts
The deal fell through because your wife didnt like the hole in the front bumper??

Find a way to make it look better?

How about sitting her down in the drivers seat, and then asking her if it looks better.

:p

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
What exactly do you want to do about it. Make it smaller? Change the styling of the bumper? Im not sure what you're trying to modify, i mean it is a hole there isnt all that much you can do about it.

Can you give us an idea of what you think would look better?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We did all that too.

I found a pic in the picture thread with something that may satisfy her.

Just can't find anything ready made.

Looks like I'll have to do some work maybe some mesh but I'd rather match the horizontal look of the grille.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Honestly, sounds to me like making up a reason not to buy it. The 'hole' is present on most cars now, and is VERY functional to the cooling of the car. Besides, does she really want a nose cone?

Could you link to the 'solution' you found on here?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I am planning to buy (was ready to start negotiations) when my wife sat down on a chair in front of the Outback, and said "Now that's ugly".

I said what is it what's wrong.

"That big hole here in the bumper."

Now I don't know what that big hole is called but I think it is designed to bring the air into the radiator area.

It is rather big with no real styling features, so anyway the deal went sideways and we left.

The discussion with the wife was find a way to make that big hole look better.

Has anyone run into this issue or modified this part of the car?

Is there a kit to do it or do I have to fabricate something?
Who will drive that OB - you or your wife? If it's you (and you don't mind "big holes)than I am not sure what's the issue here. You are in FL therefore you want all the air you can get into the engine to cool it down properly....

·
Registered
05 OUtback XT
40 Posts
the fix that is in that picture is a front mount intercooler, it is a functional and not purely asthetic part. If your car does not have a turbocharger then there is no use and that would be easily $500. But you can get plastic peices that look like intercoolers if you can find them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is for the wife.

So probably I want a mock inter cooler, or I'll have to fabricate some kind of mesh or put a shower rod in there :D

I guess I'll be doing some work.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
So, you're going to modify the car because you want to buy it, so the wife will like it, because its going to be her car.

Really?

Maybe you don't speak 'wife/girlfriend' that well yet or something, but I hear clearly "I don't want the car even though you really like it, but I'm just too passive to say so." Might we ask what she has suggested instead of the Outback? I have a really hard time believing someone would skip buying a car they otherwise really want over just one aesthetic feature - unless they are dripping in money and have several cars to choose from anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had a 95 Legacy Wagon, gave it to my son with 350000+ on it.

I think now that it was a passive move on her part but not so much about the Outback as the perhaps making the financial leap.

We did look at Escape (too wide), Tucsan (too cramped), CR-V (yawn).

She did like the KIA Sportage in Brown (Sand Track) though pretty much the same qualities as the Tucsan, I thought she would be impressed with the gadgetry and lighting in the KIA, but in the end it was only the color.
Also the Brown sportage only comes with black interior.

I think we may be back to the Subaru but she is hemming on the Green, Black or White.

I think if the green where darker or there was real brown (she doesn't like the brassy caramel).

I also did a gravel test in the sportage the difference was very very telling.

The KIA A/T doesn't compared to the smoothness of the CVT .

We may be after this for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Thats just a lower front grill insert, they can be on the pricey side around 150 to 250$

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
What's wrong with you guys? The man simply wants to make his wife happy, and I see no problem in that. It's sad that often people come to this forum to get answers to a simple car question, only to be met with countless morality answers and such... just answer his question, keep the opinions on his marriage out...

OP, youre a good husband from what I can tell. Hope you get a good fix for this.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
What about cutting some triangles out of sheets of thick white plastic and attaching them around the edges of the hole?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Thank you for your email, we have the plastic one in stock, needs cut to fit, it is a quality piece, we recommend the professional ship to cut it & install it,

The U.S. shipping is free,

http://www.zmaxautosport.com/hiquplrs4str4.html

please let us know if you have any question, thank you.

Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts