Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not find Gen 5 discussion in the database for this.

The front uses McPherson strut and probably the answer is no, but just in case, thought to ask.

Does anyone know if camber can be adjusted as is?

If not, has anyone installed camber kit on OB Gen 5?

I'd like to change the camber to -0.5 deg or so. I'm assuming that, like most cars from the factory, it has +0.25~+0.5 deg setting. The change will affect and bring the corner handling a small bit. I currently don't like the initial turn-in response and having a negative camber will help correct that.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
in the back of my old 2002 owners manuals are alignment specs. ...maybe in yours also.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
59 Posts
From what I've been told the camber cannot be adjusted. The specification for front camber is -0.5 to +0.5

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
not sure if they list anything for an '18, you might need to email them, but Welcome has always tried to offer go-fast bits for Legacy platform cars. maybe they have a camber plate for up top or some other gadget.

no connection other than buying a muffler from them long ago for my WRX.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
You can not use a camber plate with a typical OEM style strut. Only small spring set ups, like coil overs can use a camber plate.

You can use a camber bolt on the strut lower hole. However, most bolt instruction say you do NOT want (2) camber bolts in one strut. I have an aftermarket cam bolt in the lower hole on Frankie with The King/Koni. I have had no problems at all. It just torque. IMPO is any suspension bolt comes loose, you have problems. I don't consider it an issue.

You can also elongate the strut tower holes. Good shops and race car guys do this all the time. You would want to verify your clearance for the spring perch to in the inside of the strut tower. The Gen3 doesn't have much work with.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replies.

I was hoping to find an owner that had installed camber bolt on Gen 5 but I guess not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In a word, yes. There is a little adjustment in the strut to knuckle mounting bolts. Maybe a 1/2 degree, but usually enough. Good luck!

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
In a word, yes. There is a little adjustment in the strut to knuckle mounting bolts. Maybe a 1/2 degree, but usually enough. Good luck!
I believe the OP already knows about the OEM cam lobe bolt. The stock OEM set up will NOT allow the desired camber posted.

Otherwise there would be no reason to start the thread.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies.

I was hoping to find an owner that had installed camber bolt on Gen 5 but I guess not.
I think this model run is still new enough were most folks are not altering factory set-ups due to warranty and service agreements. Sourcing a desired cam bolt to add either in place of the top lobe, or replacing the fixed with an additional is the cleanest route.

It's clean, cheap and effective.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts