Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4EAT
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil tonight and I noticed that the right side of my front diff was all wet with diff fluid...I checked the level of my diff fluid and it was normal and I have been smelling burning oil when my car is idling

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
the side differential axle stub seal is leaking...or normally that's what it would be. quite a rare issue to have even on 1980's Subaru's so you've got some bad luck or the source may be elsewhere?

you're fairly certain it's the front diff?

i assume it's the 2008 in your sig? while not terribly involved or difficult that seal is not easy to replace. the outer retaining ring has to be spun off to gain access to the seal. the key is that this retaining ring also adjusts the backlash for the front differential gears, so you have to install it exactly as it was before it was removed.

so - mark the current location with one mark on the retaining ring and one on the trans so it can be installed the same way, then simply spin it off and count how many spins it takes to remove it....reinstall the same number of threads/spin/revoluations - and to your original mark.

·
Registered
18,711 Posts
Are you sure it's differential (gear) fluid?

It could be CV joint grease on the differential and smelling so bad. The right side inner joint boot over the cat would be the one to split.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'm positive that it is the gear fluid....Both my front axles have been replaced in the past 6 months and the fluid seems to be slowly leaking out from the passenger side where the axle goes into the diff...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have taken one yesterday when I was under the car, but since it has been raining obviously everything under my car has been wet but when it dries out I will get a picture

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
If you had both front axles replaced by a shop the work should come with some type of warranty.
Seems the leak might have been caused by the axle replacment.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,945 Posts
By the way, to eke as bit more out of a failing front diff I used lucas gear lube with the recc amount of lucas additive (the thick stuff).

The goop was so thick the 'fling' off the pinion gear was so strong it pushed the dipstick up enough that some was flung out the tube!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts