Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been doing a bunch of searching and still not sure if I am thinking about this correctly. :confused: I have been doing quite a few needed projects to my 04 Outback thanks to this forum. I am wondering now about changing out my differential oil.

My question is this without access to my car at the moment, is my front differential and stick transmission sharing the same oil or are they separate?

If they are one, what do you suggest for replacement oil? If they are separate?

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
same fluid and that occasionally cause folks problems. For instance, most synthetic GL-5s have some reports of being too slippery to allow for good synchronizer function.

there's a huge thread at NASIOC about different fluids and 'cocktails' of fluids but - in the long run - you probably can't do much better than the Subaru Extra-S fluid. Sometimes hard to get locally in quarts unless a ocal dealer will sell it to you in your own container. Available mailorder from a coupla shops, but price+shipping makes it a little expensive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1 Lucky Texan. So then its one drain plug, a 50 or 70 torx bit if I remember correctly? Fill through the drip stick tube? I'll see if the local dealer will sell me some Subaru Extra-S fluid . 3.8 quarts is the amount for replacement?

I am going to try to loosen the rear differential fill and drain plugs tonight to see if I need a 13mm square tipped extension for a 1/2" drive ratchet?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
Thanks 1 Lucky Texan. So then its one drain plug, a 50 or 70 torx bit if I remember correctly? Fill through the drip stick tube? I'll see if the local dealer will sell me some Subaru Extra-S fluid . 3.8 quarts is the amount for replacement?

I am going to try to loosen the rear differential fill and drain plugs tonight to see if I need a 13mm square tipped extension for a 1/2" drive ratchet?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
on the rears, I was able to use a 1/2" breaker bar (ALWAYS the fill plug first - incase of problems, you won't have to drive a dry diff) but used my floor jack to get them loose. Nothing wrong with getting the proper tool of course.

the newer 5 speeds do use a T-70. I got one online but have read that Autozone has them.

I have the followin to help with filling;

5 spd and auto tranny filling;

Hopkins TF-1 Heavy Duty Transmission Funnel, 18" Hose, Red : Amazon.com : Automotive

rear diff filling;

Custom Accessories 36670 Pennzoil Fluid Transfer Pump - Quart : Amazon.com : Automotive

on the 5 spd, put in about 3 and 1/3 , then, check often and add a 1/2 pint - pint ata a time. very slight overfill is better than under fill. (or, check dipstick before draining, if full, then, mark drain bottle and add same amount of fresh.)

I think the factory manual says to use some sealant on the plugs but many people have no dripping so - not sure what to advise there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts