Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change the front differential oil on my '03 ( and in the '01 later). Obviously, the car has to be level to check the oil level, but what about it's effect on draining? I have to jack the front end up to get to the drain plug, but am down to only 2 jack stands at the moment, so I cannot jack the rear up to level it.

Will having the front end up 10 inches or so hamper getting all of the oil to drain out?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Nope. I've always done mine on ramps.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll know for sure when I get it up and can crawl under to look at things again!

And yet another dip stick that is a horror to get to! :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And OF COURSE the the tranny uses a monster Torx wrench - bigger than what I have but rarely use - instead of the hex head plug shown in the repair manual! Thankfully, Autozone had one ( just 1) on the shelf - T70 size.

And yup - the fluid there is burnt as well. At least the magnet had very little sticking to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've always just jacked up mine far enough to get the plug out and as its draining just lowered back down on the wheels.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always just jacked up mine far enough to get the plug out and as its draining just lowered back down on the wheels.
Once I got under there, it was easy to see that the bottom of the case was shaped correctly for positive draining.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts