Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i LLBean
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 2.5 LLBean auto has started making whining noise in 3rd and 4th gears which has been diagnosed as front differential wear, not too bad at the moment but will only get worse ( 120k miles ) Is it possible to buy replacement parts for this problem and which bits are the most suspect. My problem is that I am unable to find any supplier in Europe holding stock of parts for this US import and I understand that my auto is not compatible with European / Jap models so will have to import from RockAuto or similar. I don't really want to strip the transmission down until I have a better idea of what needs doing based on other peoples experiences, I understand that this particular failure is common on this transmission, all help gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,080 Posts
You really won't know what parts you need until you tear it down. I would look up the trans type and problem and look at all the other forums to see what was the best/worst case scenario for parts. It may be easier/cheaper to source a entire trans from your local wrecker. The trans should be a 4eat. With import duty fees I don't see it being worth buying parts from the dealer. I personally wouldn't trust rock auto either, as they have gone down hill.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,294 Posts
I understand that my auto is not compatible with European / Jap[anese] models ....
Is this a general statement regarding the fact that the final assembly location is different, or something specific to the transmission that you know of?

Note that both Gunma and Lafayette transmissions are manufactured in Japan; you might just consult parts diagrams to be sure.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i LLBean
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for those advices, is it possible to establish what transmission I have from the VIN number :-
4S4BP62c&87328870 or is there a website to check for this ?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thanks for those advices, is it possible to establish what transmission I have from the VIN number :-
4S4BP62c&87328870 or is there a website to check for this ?
There will be a tag on the housing. Should be visible once you open the hood.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i LLBean
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks again Switch, found the tag and my trans is TV1B8MFEBA - HY , there was also the remains of a tag on the front diff housing but almost worn away and undecipherable. Is there any way of finding out the part number of the correct diff for this auto box so that I can start searching for replacement unit, thanks again for help so far.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Well, thanks again Switch, found the tag and my trans is TV1B8MFEBA - HY , there was also the remains of a tag on the front diff housing but almost worn away and undecipherable. Is there any way of finding out the part number of the correct diff for this auto box so that I can start searching for replacement unit, thanks again for help so far.
If you look up the trans code on a decoding site for subaru transmissions, it should give you the ratios and other info which will lead you into the direction of what parts you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts