Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited pzev
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Im wanting to change the the oil in the differentials in my 14 2.5 Limited Outback. I read through the guide on the Gen 4 DYI. It was for a 2011. I also watched a Youtube video on changing the fluids. On both the guide here and on the video there is a gray plug that you use as a fill hole. It is accessible from the engine compartment. These are vary apparent in the guide and video. I can't find any such device on my 14. Does anyone know anything about this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
1,042 Posts
The diff fill is completely different for 2013-2014. You can't use the 2010-2012 process. We have seen disastrous results posted on this forum from this confusion (gear oil ended up in the transmission and the front diff went dry and it all blew up).

I recall seeing some posts with pics for 2013+ but can't recall where now.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,360 Posts
Hello! Im wanting to change the the oil in the differentials in my 14 2.5 Limited Outback. I read through the guide on the Gen 4 DYI. It was for a 2011. I also watched a Youtube video on changing the fluids. On both the guide here and on the video there is a gray plug that you use as a fill hole. It is accessible from the engine compartment. These are vary apparent in the guide and video. I can't find any such device on my 14. Does anyone know anything about this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I did mine a year ago, fairly big changes with the second gen CVT. They removed the large breather tube you're likely referring to and opted to have a treaded plug.
So, still on the passenger side, locate the half axle coming out of the differential and at the 11 o'clock position (relative to the axle, looking at it) you will see the plug. It is no more than an inch from it, it's an 8mm Allen key. I'll add that the catalytic converter will obscure it and make it more fun to remove. I used a 1\2 inch cheater bar between the frame and catalytic converter and slid it over the Allen key. It may be tight. When you remove it, I like to double check it's correct with the smell test.

When you're sure it's good, differential drained and plug put back in and the overflow plug removed, add fluid to the CVT until it flows out of the overflow (should be no more than 1.5 qts). I filled it by shoving some tubing into the fill and brought it up the engine bay, gravity fill makes it easy.

If you dump in 2 qts and it's still not coming out the overflow, do open up the drain plug and see if anything is in there. If it is dry, stop and don't start the car and tow it to a shop.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited pzev
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks! Do you know if there was any major changes to the cvt fluid change process? The cvt process appears to be the same. Ive located the drain and fill plugs on that. Did you use any thread sealant on the diff plugs? I've had my Outback about a week and have been enjoying it. According to my fuel app it averaged 29mpg on my second tank.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited pzev
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked out the link. Thanks a bunch. It runs in my mind I might have saw that fill plug and thought it looked like a plug of some sort.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ok thanks! Do you know if there was any major changes to the cvt fluid change process? The cvt process appears to be the same. Ive located the drain and fill plugs on that. Did you use any thread sealant on the diff plugs? I've had my Outback about a week and have been enjoying it. According to my fuel app it averaged 29mpg on my second tank.
No changes except for the plug. The plugs have a steel washer, reuseable. No thread sealant needed. Just torque to specs in the FSM. And make sure you work on the passenger side!
I thought of it later, but if you cut the wheel to the left it gives you room to see and access to the plug.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited pzev
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok havnt been on here for a day or two. I did change both the back and front differential oil. It was dark and looked like it needed to be changed. The CVT is next on the list. I have 8 qts of Subaru cvt fluid already. Hopefully this goes well. I've read through some of the Subaru cvt reliability threads to see what people are thinking. I hope the cvt doesn't grenade and I regret buying this car.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ok havnt been on here for a day or two. I did change both the back and front differential oil. It was dark and looked like it needed to be changed. The CVT is next on the list. I have 8 qts of Subaru cvt fluid already. Hopefully this goes well. I've read through some of the Subaru cvt reliability threads to see what people are thinking. I hope the cvt doesn't grenade and I regret buying this car.
Diffs do that at break-in, everything burnishes together I guess. They should be good for 60k miles now.

Depending on mileage on the car, you might be able to wait on the CVT. Dealer intervals (those who change the CVT fluid) are 60k miles unless it was towing a lot.

We do have the second generation CVT which got rid of some bushing that wore away, so hopefully we're good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts