Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a few of these before, but this one is brutal. I couldnt get the pin all the way out of the axle and when i pryed on it at the inner driveshaft output, the output shaft came out with it. There is a c clip on the output shaft which looks to be ruined and I still cannot remove the pin to separate the output shaft from the driveaxle. Im pretty much lost as to what to do. Can I buy just a new output shaft? what secures the output shaft into the differential?

·
Registered
81 Posts
c clip secures the output shaft into the differential after you get the drive axle off the output shaft if the clip is bad replace and reinstall it into the diff

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mxmikie. Any non conventional ways to get the shereared pin out? I have bent four punches and broken three drill bits

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
you could try spraying some Kroil, PB blaster, (or 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone) into the the hole and let it sit overnight (becarful of it squirting into you eyes when you start hammering a punch in there - make sure it's all drained out)

I suppose, if the size of the section that broke off leads you to believe the piece left in there is the same or smaller size than the stub's diameter, you might be able to drive it to the center, pull the cup off, then just deal with the stub. not likely, but thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
you can't get the roll pin out of the axle? i live in the rust belt where rust causes all sorts of pain and garages have torches and more on hand to deal with it...i've never seen an axle roll pin not come out or be corroded/rusty. sounds like something else is going on here. a picture would have helped but sounds like yo'ure moving on.

if you just have a broken boot - just reboot the axle with the output shaft left in the axle cup. it just slides off the axle, reassemble with the thing in place and pop it back in the trans when you're done.

new boots, new axle, done deal.

a machine shop or shop could probably get it out in 5 minutes, have any honest ones close by you can check in with?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have never had a problem in the past but I think the culprit was a REALLY badly worn bearing. when I removed the knuckled the hub has about a 1/2in of play. I think may have tweaked the drive axle just enough to cause the pin to bind up in there.

Now i am wondering how to clip the output shaft back into the diff. I put a new circlip on but i cant fit it in there. The circlip is that I bought is the flat style while the one that come out of the car is a round one. Could this be the problem? should I get a circlip from the dealer or am I just installing it wrong?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i would not install anything that's a different part - sounds different. that circlip i would suspect is a dealer only part or yank a used one off somewhere.

it should be fine to reuse if you still have it. they don't really wear out or break. that stubby shaft doesn't really take much axial loading due to the fixed nature of the suspension geometry so unless something is borked it's not coming out.

you're just installing the stubby shaft or are you installing it while it's connected to the axle shaft?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just the stubby first. It looks like I need to remove the diff side retainer to get the circlip to lock then reinstall the side retainer and fill w gear oil. Is this right? I tried to pull a new shaft at the junkyard but couldnt get it out to see how it goes together. anyone now how that comes out?

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
This might sound crazy but I've had to grind out a couple of broken hardened bits over the years. Sadly I've become pretty good at doing this. Diamond crusted dremel bit slow speed grind and you will be surprised how fast you can grind it out - not hard to take care and avoid damaging the good parts but does take patience.

·
Premium Member
18,669 Posts
just the stubby first. It looks like I need to remove the diff side retainer to get the circlip to lock then reinstall the side retainer and fill w gear oil. Is this right? I tried to pull a new shaft at the junkyard but couldnt get it out to see how it goes together. anyone now how that comes out?
the 'circlip' (not a true circlip, it's more like a spring clip) . It holds the stub axle in by outward spring pressure in to a groove while part of it's diameter stays in the stub's groove. New soobs only have this part of the system. No roll pin. many other cars just have the 'circlip' . A little care is required due to moving the part through a seal. And of course a little fluid will come out. Check levels afterwards.

It just pops into and out of position. No diff dis-assembly required. maybe a rubber mallet would help seat it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks subiesailor but that makes no sense at all. I am trying to figure out the proper way to install drive axle into the trans.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks 1 lucky texan, i ordered a new circlip from the dealer ill try to install it tomorrow w a rubber mallet. I tried to remove one from a donor trans i got and have had no luck at all. do I need an axle puller?

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
this won't help you replace the stub, but here's a possible explanation as to why the pin was difficult to remove:

The hole for the roll pin in the axle is not centered exactly, so if the axle/stub are installed 180 degrees out from the way they're supposed to be, it will be extremely difficult to remove or install the pin. One side is chamfered and the other isn't, when installing the axle on the stub just line up the chamfered holes between the axle and stub.

·
Premium Member
18,669 Posts
thanks 1 lucky texan, i ordered a new circlip from the dealer ill try to install it tomorrow w a rubber mallet. I tried to remove one from a donor trans i got and have had no luck at all. do I need an axle puller?

probably just a very large screwdriver or 2. some kind of small wrecking.'crow' bar might work too. But, you shouldn't NEED to remove it if you can get the roll pin out.

EDIT - DOH!, yeah, getting it out from the donor tans - yeah, just pry/pop it with something that wont' bend. If the axle is off - I dunno, that might be tricky - don't mar the sealing surface if you plan to reuse the stub.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT
104 Posts
Mac Tools makes a punch for removing those axle roll pins and it's only about $15. Best tool I have bought in a while, makes getting those pins out super easy and really easy back in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a small slide hammer with a little chain attached at the end. Find a screwdriver that its in the roll pin hole, loop the chain around the top/bottom of the hole and jam the screw driver in the hole. You may have to adjust the links to get a straight even pull, but normally those stubs come out fairly easy. One good hit with the slide hammer and the stub should be out.

oh and whats up Lucky Texan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So i finished getting it at back together yesterday and now when I drive it straight it makes a pretty loud humming noise, but when I turn the wheel to the right, the noise goes away completely. Did I installl a bad CV axle?

·
Premium Member
18,669 Posts
The diff got refilled to the correct level right? Possibly the right side wheel bearing. During a right turn, there's less pressure on it.

Maybe feel of the hubs/bearings after a long drive and see if one is hotter than the other side. An infrared thermometer might work too.

Even having someone follow along in a parking lot, they might hear something on oneside vs the other.

But, it very well be the bearing in the differential.

Maybe get the front up, listen to each side of the diff while someone spins the wheels. Might need a mechanics stethoscope.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if it was the diff bearing, how would it be affected by turning as the stub axles are stationary. Ill check it out and see what I find. thanks for your help texan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.