Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
A friend of mine replaced my ball joints and inner and outer tie rods for me..all were terrible..got it aligned and new tires and it has developed a clunk in the front end ever since last night when he put the stuff on..especially when turning slowly and hitting small bumps or inclines but also sometimes does it on smaller bumps going straight. You can feel it through the floor board on either side it happens on.. moog stuff too..Any ideas????
Thanks, John

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
240 Posts
Did your friend torque everything to factory spec, or thats-probably-tight-enough spec?

I had front lower control arms replaced in the fall... everything done to factory spec with a digital wrench. Temps dropped 10 degrees and started getting a front-end clunk similar to yours. Turned out the combination of temperature change, aluminum arms and multiple steel bits and pieces ended up loosening the ball joint nut enough to cause the clunk.

Soooo... moral of the story? Check your torque specs. ;-)

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
sway bar endlinks/mounts, rear bushing on lower control arm....

basically, anything he touched needs a double check.

can you bounce the car's front or front corners while parked and create a noise?

hopefully, a captured nut inside a chassis piece didn't bust loose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sway bar endlinks/mounts, rear bushing on lower control arm....

basically, anything he touched needs a double check.

can you bounce the car's front or front corners while parked and create a noise?

hopefully, a captured nut inside a chassis piece didn't bust loose.
We already did double check everything hes a trustworthy mechanic. The Sway bar links seemed tight but perhaps they need replacing. Bouncing it does nothing it is only when you hit a apron pulling into a parking lot or when you hit a pretty decent sized bump.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
if it wasn't doing it before but it is after some work....the recent work is the most likely issue.

you can probably take one side of the sway bar loose and wire everything out of the way, then go for a test drive.

you may need to find a low-speed object that can reproduce the noise - have someone pace the outside of the car to pin-down a side or corner to examine. Or find someone with 'Chassis Ears''...?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=UyRoLwbvCp4&usg=AOvVaw2FVYkh52GYPWV6FVbqEbUJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts