Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm having this problem. I've posted over on LGT.com as well and received several suggestions but so far nothing has fixed it. For reference, I got the car in February right before COVID became an issue, and as a result haven't driven it much. With the time at home I accelerated my plans for it, plans I'd originally intended to spread out over a longer time. The car is a 2009, non-turbo 4EAT.

Intended mods (done in April):

-JDM Rev A Bilsteins from a Legacy
-Whiteline rear toe and track arms KTA124
-Whiteline rear trailing arm bushing W63398
-Whiteline front control arm bushing W53353

Things I replaced at basically the same time, either because I found them worn or because I broke them:
-Front sway bar end links
-Front ball joints

After all this I had an alignment done to compensate for the lower suspension and adjustable arms. The car tracks perfectly straight, rides fine, drives fine, handles fine. I guess I'll also mention that the tires on the car when I bought it were pretty old and dry, and have been replaced with brand-new Kumhos.

I think it was around this point I noticed the clunk. I can't swear it didn't happen when the car was on the stock Outback suspension but I'm pretty sure it didn't. The clunk is almost more felt than heard. I feel it in the brake pedal and the dead pedal/floorboard at very low speeds - parking lot speeds, coming to a stop at a light, etc. Like 10mph or even 5mph and lower. Pavement quality doesn't seem to matter, turning or straight doesn't matter. I only noticed it in the brake pedal at first but my brother drove the car and pointed out that he could feel it in the dead pedal also, and now so do I. I do NOT feel it through the steering, at all. Every time I jack the car up or put it on ramps the clunk disappears for at least a few miles before coming back. My brother was visiting and helped me swap the timing belt/water pump, so while he was here I asked him to check things over (he's an ASE-certified mechanic and Subaru guy) and he couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I should mention here that I had to have the front left wheel bearing replaced shortly after buying the car, but bro assures me neither bearing seems bad - there's no play, and no hint of the typical "roaring" noise associated with a wheel bearing.

After he went home I replaced the front sway bar bushings. Again, the clunk returned after about 100 miles. Last week I turned my attention to the brake system. I replaced everything in the front yesterday - new pads, rotors, pad clips, slider pins, and even the rubber boots. All pistons moved freely when I compressed them, and the old slider pins moved just fine. I replaced them anyway. I had high hopes, since the old pads seemed pretty loose in the old clips; all the new parts fit together much more tightly. However, sure enough, I went to pick up my son from my mother's place (150 mile round trip) and by the time I got home the clunk was back in full force.

As you can see I've replaced nearly everything in the front of the car. I've checked tightness on fasteners multiple times, including checking out the steering rack, engine mounts, subframe/engine cradle, strut top nuts, etc etc. I am down to suspecting the tophats in the Bilstein setup but I'm leery of that idea as I feel that if it were the problem I'd be experiencing it under a wider variety of circumstances. This literally only happens with my foot on the brake at a near-stop. It also doesn't happen on startup - like, I leave the house, I come to the end of my street, I don't feel it. Another couple stop signs, still no problem. But, if I drive to the nearest Subway for a sammich and bring it home - a 1.6-mile round trip - it'll do it when I brake to turn into my street and into my driveway.

Sorry for the long post. I'd be super-grateful for any input here. I don't think this is a safety issue, but it's seriously annoying and really makes me feel something isn't right. I should mention that I've searched here, LGT.com, and Google endlessly but haven't found anything definitive. I'd be pulling my hair out if I had any.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
763 Posts
Are you sure its a front end clunk? I would check the driveshaft u joints. When mine was starting to go out, it would sort of clunk randomly. Then it got more constant as more of the u joint failed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts