Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2015 Outback premium that was purchased new on May 1, 2015. Just about to turn 48,000 miles.

Wife's daily driver and she mentioned a new noise coming from the front of the car when turning so I took it to work today to try to diagnose. It's a clunking noise coming from front driver's side. Occurs when turning sharp (moreso to the left than right) and only while accelerating. No noise if turning sharp and coasting.

Seems similar to previous experiences with the CV joint going out on my old Civic.

I plan to bring it in to the dealer we purchase the car from to see if they could diagnose it and hopefully work with us on the warranty status.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Gen 5 or older outbacks? Anyone with experience replacing the half shaft on an Outback?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Most likely the brakes caliber having some play which is normal. It not a Safety issue but it cannot hurt to have your dealer have a look just in case.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
Sure sounds right for a failing front outer CV joint. CV joints are very similar from one car to the next, so your Honda experience is useful.

That has happened plenty of times on older Outbacks. Subaru axles are very robust, regularly going past 100k miles in service, but lots of Subarus stay on the road far longer than that so replacements are inevitable.

Very unusual to see one acting up so early, but not impossible. Your dealer should have no trouble working this out on the warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your input. I sure hope the dealer is willing to work with us on this. Just looked up the parts and it's fairly pricey.

$284.60 for the outer portion and $401.41 for the whole assembly.

@subman007: What parts did you order? Are you going to do the repair yourself?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
189 Posts
ih8mice -- no, I'm not doing this job. My Subaru service guy has to order them. Installing next week. I've ext warranty so should be covered.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let me know how this works out. My 2015 had clunking as slow speed, while turning sharply in both directions. The dealer claimed it was due to the brakes not having enough lubricant on them. I got the brakes serviced and it stopped. .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me know how this works out. My 2015 had clunking as slow speed, while turning sharply in both directions. The dealer claimed it was due to the brakes not having enough lubricant on them. I got the brakes serviced and it stopped. .

I will definitely follow-up in this thread after our appointment with the dealer later this week.

That's interesting. I would not have guessed sticking calipers to cause this kind of noise. I hope that turns out to be the issue with ours as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had our appointment last night and a tech took our Outback for a ride. They confirmed we have a bad CV joint.

Figured we'd be on the hook since we're over 36K miles. Thankfully, CV joints are included in the lifetime powertrain warranty the dealer provides on all new purchases. Very happy about that.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,591 Posts
Figured we'd be on the hook since we're over 36K miles. Thankfully, CV joints are included in the lifetime powertrain warranty the dealer provides on all new purchases. Very happy about that.
... it's good to hear that it was covered under warranty!
CV joints are covered under Subaru's standard 5 year/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty. Reading the warranty document you received with your Outback can be enlightening.

Reactions: Yoda_One
1 - 12 of 12 Posts