Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post. 1998 Legacy Outback 5-Speed. I finally got the car up and running (replaced passenger side front axle, drained/refilled the transmission, and replaced y-pipe). I did find a couple small metal chunks, not a lot, on the magnetic transmission plug, and it does grind sometimes when going into reverse, and every once in a while when going into 3rd, which is the exact same thing my '92 Accord does, but the transmission seems fine on that. The clutch was replaced by a dealership in 2009 (I found the service records) but it catches way too quickly to be passable for me, so I plan on replacing that. It must have been driven hard. Given that I'm replacing the clutch, how concerned should I be about the occasional grinding?

In addition to that, when the clutch gets replaced, I intend on also replacing the power steering pump (it's leaking badly and whining), as well as belts, plugs, and plug wires. Is there anything else I should look into at that time? The HG's and timing belt (and I'm assuming water pump) were done in 2009 at the time of the clutch replacement.

My last question involves a shaking/clunking that I hear when coasting at around 20-30 mph. It seems to be coming from passenger side, and only at low speeds, and it seems to be worse if I am turning slightly to the left. However, I don't get the traditional clicking that one would expect from a failing cv axle when making hard turns. The car also pulls slightly to the left on acceleration. Am I safe in assuming it's probably the driver's side front axle? Tires are almost brand new and I'm assuming balanced correctly. For whatever reason, it seems to only be noticeable between 20-35 mph, and not when I'm accelerating.

Thanks for all help, this is an ongoing project that has been made much easier by all of you on this forum.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
not personally experienced on 98s but, I THINK there may be an o-ring between the reservoir and the PS pump that is leaking. try searching for that here.

soob 5mts can be picky about fluid since the tranny shares with the front diff. what brand fluid is in there? some synthetics are known to not work well with soob synchros for instance.

rebuilt axles are notorious for causing some of the symptoms you describe but, not sure. You should rule out wheel bearing for one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not personally experienced on 98s but, I THINK there may be an o-ring between the reservoir and the PS pump that is leaking. try searching for that here.

soob 5mts can be picky about fluid since the tranny shares with the front diff. what brand fluid is in there? some synthetics are known to not work well with soob synchros for instance.

rebuilt axles are notorious for causing some of the symptoms you describe but, not sure. You should rule out wheel bearing for one.
I used Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil 75w90 I believe.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
there's a huge thread about this issue at NASIOC.

if you don't wanna try the scotty's cocktail, at least you could search thru the thread for common gear oil brands and see what folks have the best luck with.

many people like the Subaru Extra-S

Bartender: One Scotty's cocktail please. - NASIOC

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,487 Posts
Check the front wheel bearings. Especially the right one.

While its up, check the lower control arm bushings and tie rod ends. Look at the sway bar links.

Get an alignment.

Grinding going in to the gear is most likely synchronizer wear. Just shift slower until its repaired or try to float it in with the engine rpm.

There is a seal on the base of the PS reservoir that will leak, or the short return hose will harden and leak. Cheaper than replacement, change the seal, hose and flush the PS system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grinding going in to the gear is most likely synchronizer wear. Just shift slower until its repaired or try to float it in with the engine rpm.
Synchronizer seems to be the common consensus. Is that something that people typically repair? Or is it just part of a transmission rebuild?

Thanks for the other advice, I'll get it lifted up today and check what you said. Will report back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts