Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone,

My car is a 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6r. I have the dash rattle that sounds like it is coming from center speaker and saw the thread on that (can't wait to see if it fixes the issue). The new problem I'm experiencing is different. While driving over rough roads (which are all Denver, CO streets) I hear what I think sounds like a suspension type cluck clunk rattle at slow speeds. It sounds like it's coming more from the front drivers side, but with how sound travels in cars who knows. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. The dealer did not seem concerned or interested in looking into it.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,980 Posts
The new problem I'm experiencing is different. While driving over rough roads (which are all Denver, CO streets)

I know right? 20th past Coors Field will rattle your teeth right outta your head.

I hear what I think sounds like a suspension type cluck clunk rattle at slow speeds. It sounds like it's coming more from the front drivers side, but with how sound travels in cars who knows.
Something has to be loose, your car is too new for anything worn out. I suspect sway bar end link, sway bar chassis mount, or a loose bolt on a Lower Control arm or strut. Do you feel it in the wheel, or the floor boards at all? Denver Streets will destroy your car. 2016? Why not just back to the dealer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response traildogck, that was my exact thought and why I am a bit curious/nervous. I don't feel it anywhere in the car, it's just the sound, but I will check the parts you mentioned. I took it in for first service last month and mentioned it to the dealer (it was not as consistent at the time and only doing it while turning). They said it sounded like nothing and that the spring might be getting unloaded enough while turning to cause the noise I described. Fast-forward a month and now its all low speed driving over city streets regardless of turning. I don't hear it at high speeds and overall the car still corners and feels solid. I plan to take it back, but with the way dealers diagnose these days I like to have a direction to point them in.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LTD Ice Silver Metallic/Black Slate
14 Posts
Very similar if not exact same problem.

I have a 2016 Outback, 3.6R with 25K on it. A clunking sound started around 24K. I took it to my Subaru dealer, and they said they secured some cabling in the front. The problem wasn't noticeable on the 12 mile drive home, but then the clunking returned the next day. Usually it appears at speeds up to 40 MPH; it isn't noticeable at higher speeds, and the Outback steers, and handles as well as ever at all speeds. The clunking is unnerving on such a relatively new, and very expensive (at least to my wallet) automobile. My wife and I both enjoy the Outback, and the size, comfort, and convenience is perfect for us. This is our first non-Ford product since 1972, and all of the Fords were very reliable. I hope this clunking isn't indicative of a major failure "down the road", literally! I'm taking it back to the Subaru dealer this week, for another look. I think I'll print this thread to show them.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,138 Posts
I had an annoying clunk in the front of my 2012. They replaced a leaking strut still not fixed. They used magnatised microphones to narrow down the noise which was a broken panel weld in the front quater panel. Car went off to a smash repairer and was fixed under warranty. Took 3 vistits to the dealer to find it. They were great about it and wanted to find it and fix it.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium - 2013 Legacy Limited - 2009 Legacy SE
82 Posts
Not sure if its related but I was fighting a similar noise. Open your sun glass holder and see if makes a difference while driving in the same area where the noise appears. That's where my noise was coming from in my 2016 Outback (and yes I didn't have sun glasses in the holder). Since I don't use the holder I rolled up a piece of felt cloth (enough that it put a little pressure on the door) and that solve my noise.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
599 Posts
I recall a post where someone said that a plastic panel under the dash (near your kneecaps) was vibrating.

I hate these random, obscure issues!

·
Premium Member
2016 Ouback 3.6R Limited
120 Posts
I have a 2016 Outback, 3.6R with 25K on it. A clunking sound started around 24K. I took it to my Subaru dealer, and they said they secured some cabling in the front. The problem wasn't noticeable on the 12 mile drive home, but then the clunking returned the next day. Usually it appears at speeds up to 40 MPH; it isn't noticeable at higher speeds, and the Outback steers, and handles as well as ever at all speeds. The clunking is unnerving on such a relatively new, and very expensive (at least to my wallet) automobile. My wife and I both enjoy the Outback, and the size, comfort, and convenience is perfect for us. This is our first non-Ford product since 1972, and all of the Fords were very reliable. I hope this clunking isn't indicative of a major failure "down the road", literally! I'm taking it back to the Subaru dealer this week, for another look. I think I'll print this thread to show them.
Any chance you remember where the cabling was to narrow down my search? Firewall, towards the bumper? I've notice the same sound over bumps and was going to do some investigating this weekend to see if I could find what is loose.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
26 Posts
You might want to search under "Annoying Dash Noise" as there are many suggestions on what to look for and hopefully find your culprit. My own rattle issue was the ground cable by the firewall in the engine compartment. However, found many other possibilities inside the cabin and more so, around the foot well on the drivers side. I do still have a "clunking" noise and have resorted to the fact that it is the front brake pads moving ever so slightly (normal). I guess it could also be the plastic "skid plate" if the car was recently serviced and they did not put all the plastic latch pegs back in.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
483 Posts
I keep my Chapstick in the door handle and it rattles sometimes.

Hopefully, it's something that simple.

·
Premium Member
2016 Ouback 3.6R Limited
120 Posts
You might want to search under "Annoying Dash Noise" as there are many suggestions on what to look for and hopefully find your culprit.
Yeah I looked at that and I've already ruled out anything inside the cabin, I know its in the suspension or engine bay but its a lot harder to diagnose noises forward of the firewall.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
26 Posts
I am taking mine in for the loose passenger mirror tomorrow and will ask my trusted Subaru tech if he can shed some light on your issue. Maybe a strut mount that is bad or loose? I had a bad mount on my Volvo S80 and it was a clear and pronounced clunk that disappeared ~ >40 mph. If I find something out, I will report back.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring Black
272 Posts
On a new '15 Outback 2.5i I had the same noise as you described, especially when first starting off in the morning and especially in colder temperatures. My Outback had only about 500 miles on the ODO, but the front driver's side strut was bad. Much better after the new strut was installed, but there was still an occasional noise over bumps. It was so intermittent, I didn't take it back to be checked. Also, there was no negative effect on ride or steering with the bad strut.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
26 Posts
Had my loose passenger side rear view mirror fixed so that is all good now. They had a free alignment check and generously worked me in for a warranty alignment (great service). I asked about the clunking noise and without seeing the car, hard to determine. Strut or mount was one option, CVT could be another one (they have seen where quick lube places accidentally drain the CVT vs the engine oil) and then also make sure that all suspension bolts etc are all tight. They had not experienced this issue at the dealership so they were guessing like most of us that are trying to help you. Let us know if and when you find the source of the noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "cabling solution" wasn't a solution. My Outback went back to the dealership, and has been at the dealers since last Friday. They called and told me the mechanic found something wrong in the steering assembly, and that parts were on order. I will report all, when I get the repair report, and find out if the trouble is actually corrected. I am a little concerned, because the steering felt solid; I only noticed the "clunking noise", but steering and handling felt good at all speeds.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
599 Posts
The "cabling solution" wasn't a solution. My Outback went back to the dealership, and has been at the dealers since last Friday. They called and told me the mechanic found something wrong in the steering assembly, and that parts were on order. I will report all, when I get the repair report, and find out if the trouble is actually corrected. I am a little concerned, because the steering felt solid; I only noticed the "clunking noise", but steering and handling felt good at all speeds.
I hope they're not fixing something that's not broken, so you think the problem is resolved. Mechanic's placebo effect!:grin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
That sounds like it. The dealer ordered a rack and pinion steering assembly (still on back order) and will replace when parts received. As I understand it, there was some machining problems with these assemblies, that allows a little unwanted movement, over uneven road surfaces. Clunking seems to be worse in colder weather. I hope this corrects the problem and doesn't cause any new ones, as I guess the repair, while under warranty, is extensive. I will write again when all of this is completed, hopefully, satisfactorily.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Any update on your fix?

1 - 20 of 214 Posts