Subaru Outback Forums banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thank you for posting this. Here is my experience with my 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited. Noticed rattling sound about 8 months after purchase, and could not figure it out. Took it to the dealer and said they could not recreate the problem. Drove it for another few months and was sure it was coming from somewhere near the driver side wheel. Took it in a second time said they could not recreate the problem. I asked to drive with a tech, and within a few seconds he said it was the steering rack. Mine could not accept the spring kit because it was manufactured before a certain date, so they just replaced the steering rack entirely. Completely solved the problem for about 7 months. Now the noise is coming back. It is not as bad as it was but I fear it will get worse and is frustrating to have on a brand new car. I'm going to make another appointment and see what they say. Perhaps there is a new stronger spring? Or I'll just have to put a new spring in every year? Not the end of the world, but annoying.
same story as mine. the second go around they had one of the subaru field service techs come look at it and he said yep, the steering rack needs to be replaced. a couple days later they called and said my car was ready, all it needed was the spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got my car back after taking it in when noise returned after full steering rack replacement. Drove on some bumpy roads and seems good for now. The Tech notes were 'Increased spring tension on steering rack guide'. Will see if she holds up.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Got my car back after taking it in when noise returned after full steering rack replacement. Drove on some bumpy roads and seems good for now. The Tech notes were 'Increased spring tension on steering rack guide'. Will see if she holds up.
sounds like they performed the procedure to adjust the lash.

·
Registered
2019 white 2.5 Outback premium
24 Posts
taking our '19 in for the final rack replacement steps, next Tuesday.
3rd trip to service. they had to do 2 "steps" before they would agree to replace whole rack.
kind of a waste of our time if they know the racks are failing.

hopefully this will eliminate the rattle

to me it started off sounding like tie rods.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our 2016 has started this front end rattle too, and it has become more pronounced in the cold weather. It is definitely the steering rack, as moving the steering back and forth while stationary yields the sound.

I was thinking of trying to just replace the spring, but is there a specific date range that that fix is applicable too? Is there a VIN number or serial number on the rack that comes in to play here? From reading the posts here, it seems that some cars get a rack replacement immediately. I would imagine paying for a steering rack out of pocket will be big dollars, so I'd like to avoid that, as our car only has the powertrain warranty left on it. This rattling is very annoying an unacceptable for a car that is so new with so few miles.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
172 Posts
I would imagine paying for a steering rack out of pocket will be big dollars, so I'd like to avoid that, as our car only has the powertrain warranty left on it. This rattling is very annoying an unacceptable for a car that is so new with so few miles.
I assume your 2016 warranty is the same as my 2018. It is actually called "Major Component" warranty not Powertrain. The steering rack is covered under "Major Component". So your dealer should be able to fix this under warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,419 Posts
It is actually called "Major Component" warranty not Powertrain.
It may be different in Canada, but the 2016 Legacy/Outback Warranty & Maintenance Guide for U.S. vehicles, page 5, calls it the "Powertrain Limited Warranty," and the steering rack is not included in the list of covered components.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
172 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
2015 OB with 63k. Had the clunk, brought it in... they recommend rack & pinion replacement for $2400. Looked on here to see the situation and found this thread... 208 posts later (read the first bunch and the last bunch and it seems many people with same issue)... Has there been a service bulletin? Has there been any correction to the R & P so that I can have confidence it won't happen again? Seems like this has been going on for years... Thanks!

I bought my first car for $2400.... geez.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Looked on here to see the situation and found this thread... 208 posts later (read the first bunch and the last bunch and it seems many people with same issue)... Has there been a service bulletin?
it's mentioned more than a few times in this very thread. It's also been attached a few times in a few posts here as well. Should be easy enough to read the posts you skipped and find a copy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It may be different in Canada, but the 2016 Legacy/Outback Warranty & Maintenance Guide for U.S. vehicles, page 5, calls it the "Powertrain Limited Warranty," and the steering rack is not included in the list of covered components.
That is interesting - it is different in Canada then. Steering components are covered. https://subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=5257
Thank you for the information! Turns out it is not powertrain warranty as I assumed but major component. The steering rack listed on that list for a 2016 Canadian car. So, I am much happier this repair will be covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ES
74 Posts
Our 2016 has started this front end rattle too, and it has become more pronounced in the cold weather. It is definitely the steering rack, as moving the steering back and forth while stationary yields the sound.

I was thinking of trying to just replace the spring, but is there a specific date range that that fix is applicable too? Is there a VIN number or serial number on the rack that comes in to play here? From reading the posts here, it seems that some cars get a rack replacement immediately. I would imagine paying for a steering rack out of pocket will be big dollars, so I'd like to avoid that, as our car only has the powertrain warranty left on it. This rattling is very annoying an unacceptable for a car that is so new with so few miles.
Cold for sure makes it worse on mine too. Had it a few times last winter, almost never over Summer and now back.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts