Subaru Outback Forums banner

221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
19 Posts
On my car (in which the noise was solved by following the TSB), if I while stopped, turned the steering wheel quickly left and right, it would make the noise. Perhaps that could help troubleshoot whether it is the steering rack or another cause?
Good idea. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi guys.
I had the same issue last winter. Brought to my local dealer. They replaced the rack right away. However now a year later the noise has returned.
not sure how they will proceed yet.
I will post results here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all –

I own a 2017 Outback 3.6 (with 35,900 miles) and I have the exact same dash rattling issue.

A few months ago I came across the same rattling noise from the driver side dashboard, next to the speaker grill. While driving on an bumpy / unpaved road, I could hear a tapping sound from the dash. After multiple test drives with the shop foreman, they were able to confirm the noise .

I was told the noise is coming from the rack assembly and per TSB 4-17-17r , the dealer performed the following:
Install Cotter pin (051030300), Install steering gearbox AY EPS (34110AL150), install spring kit (34130AL010) and replaced rack assembly.

The noise disappeared for a while, then within a few weeks, the tapping / rattling sound came back again. However, now the noise only occurs in colder weather! Not sure why the noise diapers when over 70-75 degrees outside.

I took it back to the dealer multiple times and they were unable to “recreate the sound” . They were trying to convince me that most Subaru’s make a tapping noise and I shouldn’t worry about it!!!!! I also got SOA involved, and was told by the case manager to take my car to another Subaru dealer hoping someone there can identify the issue.

This is my first Subaru and I was really hoping to keep this car for at least 100,000 miles.

For those that experienced the same issue, what was the ultimate solution? Is there a fix for this?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Hello all –

I own a 2017 Outback 3.6 (with 35,900 miles) and I have the exact same dash rattling issue.

A few months ago I came across the same rattling noise from the driver side dashboard, next to the speaker grill. While driving on an bumpy / unpaved road, I could hear a tapping sound from the dash. After multiple test drives with the shop foreman, they were able to confirm the noise .

I was told the noise is coming from the rack assembly and per TSB 4-17-17r , the dealer performed the following:
Install Cotter pin (051030300), Install steering gearbox AY EPS (34110AL150), install spring kit (34130AL010) and replaced rack assembly.

The noise disappeared for a while, then within a few weeks, the tapping / rattling sound came back again. However, now the noise only occurs in colder weather! Not sure why the noise diapers when over 70-75 degrees outside.

I took it back to the dealer multiple times and they were unable to “recreate the sound” . They were trying to convince me that most Subaru’s make a tapping noise and I shouldn’t worry about it!!!!! I also got SOA involved, and was told by the case manager to take my car to another Subaru dealer hoping someone there can identify the issue.

This is my first Subaru and I was really hoping to keep this car for at least 100,000 miles.

For those that experienced the same issue, what was the ultimate solution? Is there a fix for this?
could try and see if it's the grounding wire from the CVT hitting on that plastic piece on the firewall...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All. First post. First Subaru. 2019 Outback 2.5i Premium with only 9k miles.

I started hearing this sound when going over small consecutive bumps at around 8k miles. I eventually realized you could easily reproduce the issue by just moving the steering wheel back and forth like others are describing. It's a sound like play from a loose bolt or slop from some other set of loose parts. The noise seems to come from the front drivers side wheel area. It's worse in colder weather. I can even hear an empty rattle when I start the car and pull out on a colder morning. Very annoying for a brand new car.

I took the car back to the dealer and they did what I now know from the TSB that was previously posted is the spring tensioning adjustment. That worked for a couple of weeks and then the noise came back. I got back in touch with the dealership and they told me that they checked all of the similar model and mileage Outbacks that they could find and they told me that they all made this sound. Basically they were telling me that it was "typical performance" and that there was nothing they could really do about it.

At first I accepted that response because I didn't want to argue with them but eventually this sound started driving me crazy. Then, after waiting another 6 weeks for another service appointment, they replaced the entire rack. I took the service manager and a tech from the dealership on a ride to try to reproduce the issue on that second visit. It's hard to reliably reproduce it when moving but it's very obvious when you turn the wheel back and forth while stationary.

When I got the car back with the new rack it was great. No noises that shouldn't be there. Brand new car. That lasted about a week. Now the noise is back just as bad as it was before the rack replacement.

I don't know what to do at this point. It's not an enormous issue. I trust that the car is fine in terms of performance and I hate being a nag to people in the service industry but this noise really does drive me crazy. It's a brand new car that should clearly not be making a rattling noise all the time, however slight.

It seems to me like Subaru has a systemic issue here and that they need to come up with a better fix and upgrade their design for these parts.

Help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All. First post. First Subaru. 2019 Outback 2.5i Premium with only 9k miles.

I started hearing this sound when going over small consecutive bumps at around 8k miles. I eventually realized you could easily reproduce the issue by just moving the steering wheel back and forth like others are describing. It's a sound like play from a loose bolt or slop from some other set of loose parts. The noise seems to come from the front drivers side wheel area. It's worse in colder weather. I can even hear an empty rattle when I start the car and pull out on a colder morning. Very annoying for a brand new car.

I took the car back to the dealer and they did what I now know from the TSB that was previously posted is the spring tensioning adjustment. That worked for a couple of weeks and then the noise came back. I got back in touch with the dealership and they told me that they checked all of the similar model and mileage Outbacks that they could find and they told me that they all made this sound. Basically they were telling me that it was "typical performance" and that there was nothing they could really do about it.

At first I accepted that response because I didn't want to argue with them but eventually this sound started driving me crazy. Then, after waiting another 6 weeks for another service appointment, they replaced the entire rack. I took the service manager and a tech from the dealership on a ride to try to reproduce the issue on that second visit. It's hard to reliably reproduce it when moving but it's very obvious when you turn the wheel back and forth while stationary.

When I got the car back with the new rack it was great. No noises that shouldn't be there. Brand new car. That lasted about a week. Now the noise is back just as bad as it was before the rack replacement.

I don't know what to do at this point. It's not an enormous issue. I trust that the car is fine in terms of performance and I hate being a nag to people in the service industry but this noise really does drive me crazy. It's a brand new car that should clearly not be making a rattling noise all the time, however slight.

It seems to me like Subaru has a systemic issue here and that they need to come up with a better fix and upgrade their design for these parts.

Help!
I have the exact same problem with my ‘17 outback 3.6

they’ve replace the rack (per TSB 4-17-17) . Worked fine for a few days, then the rattling came back again.

I got SOA involved, their suggestions was to take the car to another dealership. The second dealership wasn’t able to recreate the sound !!!!

Not sure if the sound is a harmless rattle or will the rattle eventually cause damage to other components?

I’ve lost my faith in Subaru, I was hoping to keep the the outback for a while , guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,000 Posts
I'd simply keep communicating with SoA - any decent dealership will let you take a technician for a ride to demonstrate the concern. Poor dealer service isn't entirely Subaru's fault, nor is it unique to the brand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took a technician for a ride along with the service manager at my dealership. I think the dealership would like to do whatever they can to fix the problem. I think the problem is that they don't have any good options. The fix that Subaru came up with in the TSB doesn't work.

SOA told me to go back to the dealer. I just see this going in circles. It looks to me like there is a design problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took a technician for a ride along with the service manager at my dealership. I think the dealership would like to do whatever they can to fix the problem. I think the problem is that they don't have any good options. The fix that Subaru came up with in the TSB doesn't work.

SOA told me to go back to the dealer. I just see this going in circles. It looks to me like there is a design problem.
I agree, it’s certainly a design issue.
The service department is very responsive. They just can’t figure out what the problem is and what needs to be done.

Seems like they’re just replacing parts at random hoping to solve the problem.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi guys.
I had the same issue last winter. Brought to my local dealer. They replaced the rack right away. However now a year later the noise has returned.
not sure how they will proceed yet.
I will post results here.
So, update they replaced the rack again. Rattle gone.
the first one lasted a year. Let’s hope this new one is the permanent fix !

·
Registered
200 Posts
Did they used the same TSB posted here to replace the steering rack .
Took mine to the dealer and they told they were unable to replicate the issue ( no noises were heard from the steering rack ) ..

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
So, update they replaced the rack again. Rattle gone.
the first one lasted a year. Let’s hope this new one is the permanent fix !
wonder if they tried the lash adjustment, or just threw a new unit in there... might be an adjustment is needed once and then it would be good from then on out.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
21 Posts
Mine does the clunk/creak thing it too. Front drivers side when turning left to right after it has been sitting for awhile. More pronounced at colder temps and lasts about a 1/4 mile. I'll add this to the list when it goes to the dealer for the two recall items. And the squeaky drivers seat too. About 22,000 miles now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had a clunk in the front end on my 2015, first only when cold and turning at slow speeds. Then it became most temperatures at slow speeds. I thought it might be the lash adjustment in the steering rack but that ended up not being the noise. In my case, it was either the strut mount or the front strut. I replaced both after the lash adjustment attempt and now the front end is solid and silent.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
133 Posts
I think it is worth a shot replacing it. $20 for the spring kit on ebay plus another $5.50 for the special but if you don't have it. Once the car is jacked up, the job is pretty simple. I found it easiest to jack up at the front point of the car, put stands on the left and right pinch welds for support and slide under the front. You might need to have basic abdominal strength as I sort of had to do a slight sit up to get my head high enough to look over the under body cover to see with EPS assembly. To find it locate the assembly, your head will be directly to the left of the CVT, and you will be looking above the cover towards to front of the car.

Once you locate it, it is as simple and unscrewing the screw, taking out the spring, put in the new one, and put the new screw back in after putting some ATF on the o-ring of it. I found it helpful to use tweezers to remove and replace the spring so that I minimized the possibility of dirt getting into the assembly from my fingers.

If you removed the entire undercover, it will be a little easier to get to, but I did not and didn't have much of an issue reaching, especially if you get the long bit from amazon that was posted earlier in the thread. Spring Kit that I used, and the proper bit that was recommended by another person earlier in the thread:

Just an FYI, this one is too big. It needs to be a 40ipr. I got this one. Too big.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport
67 Posts
It looks like the seller doesn't have the 40ipr anymore. The link says "40IPR" but you are right when you click it it defaults you to the 45IPR instead now and the 40 option is no longer available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my ‘17 outback 3.6

they’ve replace the rack (per TSB 4-17-17) . Worked fine for a few days, then the rattling came back again.

I got SOA involved, their suggestions was to take the car to another dealership. The second dealership wasn’t able to recreate the sound !!!!

Not sure if the sound is a harmless rattle or will the rattle eventually cause damage to other components?

I’ve lost my faith in Subaru, I was hoping to keep the the outback for a while , guess I was wrong.
UPDATE: front end rattle / rack and pinion replacement (TSB 4-17-17):

I’ve been dealing with issue for over 6 months now. The rack was replaced per TSB 4-17-17 a few months ago and problem was not solved.

After multiple trips to the dealership, they were able to hear the rattle again and took the vehicle in for further examination. After a week of testing, I was told the newly replaced rack and pinion is fine and the noise is coming from a defroster tube under the dash. according to the dealer, they soundproofed they tube by adding foam. I tried explaining to the techs that rattle is the exact same sound as before the rack was replaced- but the dealership was convinced the problem is solved.

two days after picking up my car, the sound came back. while driving on a unpaved road, particularly in colder weather, the dash rattle is back.

The car drives fine , the noise is there and I’m very concerned About major steering issues or fat repair bills down the line.

I’ve been to 3 different dealerships at least 15 times, No one can figure out the problem.

Any feedback for outback owners with the same problem is appreciated .

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
133 Posts
It looks like the seller doesn't have the 40ipr anymore. The link says "40IPR" but you are right when you click it it defaults you to the 45IPR instead now and the 40 option is no longer available.
I got the ones on Ebay. Worked fine. Replaced the spring (super easy) and all is well, so far. I wish I could get a few of these springs (for cheap) should I need to do it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Legacy and at about 44K I started to have the rattle in both front wheels. It sounded almost like the brake calipers were loose. Took to the dealer and they "greased" the calipers, but the noise remained. I ended up taking it to my guy and he figured out it was my front bushings. They had totally crumbled up at 70K miles. He replaced them and now it sounds like new.

221 - 239 of 239 Posts