Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 160 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,471 Posts
I had the same low speed rattle in my 2017 3.6R and found it’s caused by a faulty spring clamp on the steering column. It’s a common problem in Gen 5 outback’s. The cost of the part is under $20 and it takes a good mechanic about an hour to fix it.
Thanks, but you say the faulty spring clamp is a common problem. Your post is the first time I have heard about that problem. Where are people talking about a faulty spring clamp on the steering column?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am located just outside Philadelphia. I have wasted a lot of time trying to get my service manager to hear the noise while I am hearing it. If you can recommend a dealer that is familiar to this situation, I could probably get it fixed sooner than later.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
89 Posts
I'm not sure this tsb applies to a 2018 3.6r. I certainly got the clunk coming from the front drivers side when going over multiple small bumps.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm not sure this tsb applies to a 2018 3.6r. I certainly got the clunk coming from the front drivers side when going over multiple small bumps.
it sounds like a steering rack issue. ive had my replaced once already and my symptons are back. i had the let the technician drive over a gravel road before they would believe me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had my rack replaced three times due to the noise in my videos. Ultimately got rid of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
174 Posts
I have a 2018 3.6r with this noise. More on the driver side but not right at wheel/tire. I only hear it at slower speeds and more so with smaller but rapid bumps on the road. I bought the spring kit that the TSB refers to. I should have the torx-plus bit by the end of the week and I'll report back. Even though my steering box is not within the range specified by the TSB, I am convinced that the spring is going to be a "wear item" that weakens and will need to be replaced occasionally. I seen reported a few times that people had the steering rack replaced or the spring replaced and the noise eventually returns. That leaves me thinking that even the new spring is not a permanent fix but does over time lose its effectiveness.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
498 Posts
I have a 2018 3.6r with this noise. More on the driver side but not right at wheel/tire. I only hear it at slower speeds and more so with smaller but rapid bumps on the road. I bought the spring kit that the TSB refers to. I should have the torx-plus bit by the end of the week and I'll report back. Even though my steering box is not within the range specified by the TSB, I am convinced that the spring is going to be a "wear item" that weakens and will need to be replaced occasionally. I seen reported a few times that people had the steering rack replaced or the spring replaced and the noise eventually returns. That leaves me thinking that even the new spring is not a permanent fix but does over time lose its effectiveness.
The noise was present in my 18 at 2k on, and my new 19 from about day 3. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,521 Posts
No current TSB for 18-19 that we know of?
The latest revision of TSB 04-17-17R I have seen is dated May 2, 2019, and it affects Legacy and Outback MYs 2015-2017. The TSB states that it only affects vehicles with steering racks manufactured through April 21, 2017. Racks manufactured after that date are a revised design, and thus are not subject to the TSB.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The latest revision of TSB 04-17-17R I have seen is dated May 2, 2019, and it affects Legacy and Outback MYs 2015-2017. The TSB states that it only affects vehicles with steering racks manufactured through April 21, 2017. Racks manufactured after that date are a revised design, and thus are not subject to the TSB.
revised design BUT still prone to developing a noise just like the '17 TSB describes unfortunately.

·
Registered
362 Posts
went in today for this noise and got the 'unable to duplicate'.. Nice.
did you force the technician to drive while you rode passenger? you cant give these guys plausible deniability. they tried that with me on the stereo. i think the dealerships are totally overwhelmed with issues on the gen 5 18/19's and are trying to minimize the damage.

·
Registered
498 Posts
did you force the technician to drive while you rode passenger? you cant give these guys plausible deniability. they tried that with me on the stereo. i think the dealerships are totally overwhelmed with issues on the gen 5 18/19's and are trying to minimize the damage.
I asked for that but was told that 'my car was done' . I said I'd like to show the tech the noise and how to duplicate it IN THEIR OWN PARKING LOT but was told 'he's moved on to another job' Was told I'd have to make another appointment.

BS

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yup, sounds familiar!
The one thing you did say that you thought it was a wear item - mine started at 3 days on the 19 and on our former 18 it was very early on. I am wondering how many of these springs didn't meet spec directly from manufacturing'/

·
Registered
362 Posts
I asked for that but was told that 'my car was done' . I said I'd like to show the tech the noise and how to duplicate it IN THEIR OWN PARKING LOT but was told 'he's moved on to another job' Was told I'd have to make another appointment.

BS
sure is. id recommend another dealership.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
174 Posts
I am very happy to report that my rattling noise is gone after installing the spring kit (part #34130AL010) on my 2018 3.6r. According to the TSB my ESP should not have been affected as it had a higher lot number. I suspect the spring loses its strength over time. In the picture, you can see the old spring (left) is shorter than the new spring (right). I could easily completely compress the old spring with my fingers whereas the new spring was much more firm. Not only is the rattle noise gone, but my steering feels a little tighter now too - not as much play. I could not find locally the BTP40P bit mentioned in the TSB but bought the pictured one on Amazon, the length of the bit makes it easier to get at (its a 5-point 40 Torx-Plus bit). It only took a couple minutes to replace. Its hard to believe a tiny little spring could solve that noise - but it did! I do suspect this is going to turn out to be a "wear item" and at some point I'll have to replace it again.

141 - 160 of 221 Posts