Subaru Outback Forums banner

161 - 180 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
542 Posts
I am very happy to report that my rattling noise is gone after installing the spring kit (part #34130AL010) on my 2018 3.6r. According to the TSB my ESP should not have been affected as it had a higher lot number. I suspect the spring
loses its strength over time. In the picture, you can see the old spring (left) is shorter than the new spring (right). I could easily completely compress the old spring with my fingers whereas the new spring was much more firm. Not only is the rattle noise gone, but my steering feels a little tighter now too - not as much play. I could not find locally the BTP40P bit mentioned in the TSB but bought the pictured one on Amazon, the length of the bit makes it easier to get at (its a 5-point 40 Torx-Plus bit). It only took a couple minutes to replace. Its hard to believe a tiny little spring could solve that noise - but it did! I do suspect this is going to turn out to be a "wear item" and at some point I'll have to replace it again.

View attachment 472869
View attachment 472870
Very nice. What miles on your car? It seems to me the betal is a bit thicker on the new item vs the old one, perhaps that and the length had an impact also?

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
183 Posts
Very nice. What miles on your car? It seems to me the betal is a bit thicker on the new item vs the old one, perhaps that and the length had an impact also?
I currently have 50k miles on the car, but it was making the noise for some time now, progressively getting worse. I could not say for certain at what mileage it started.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am very happy to report that my rattling noise is gone after installing the spring kit (part #34130AL010) on my 2018 3.6r. According to the TSB my ESP should not have been affected as it had a higher lot number. I suspect the spring loses its strength over time. In the picture, you can see the old spring (left) is shorter than the new spring (right). I could easily completely compress the old spring with my fingers whereas the new spring was much more firm. Not only is the rattle noise gone, but my steering feels a little tighter now too - not as much play. I could not find locally the BTP40P bit mentioned in the TSB but bought the pictured one on Amazon, the length of the bit makes it easier to get at (its a 5-point 40 Torx-Plus bit). It only took a couple minutes to replace. Its hard to believe a tiny little spring could solve that noise - but it did! I do suspect this is going to turn out to be a "wear item" and at some point I'll have to replace it again.

View attachment 472869
View attachment 472870
This would work?
T40 Torx

·
Registered
542 Posts
Those are six-point, it require 5 point Torx-Plus. This is what i got
THANK YOU. I was JUST getting ready to checkout when I saw this ... you just saved me a few days of hassle and having to return and reorder. Got it on the way 5.29 and have the spring coming in Saturaday for 15.xx Nice.:)

Reactions: bosh60

·
Registered
542 Posts
I currently have 50k miles on the car, but it was making the noise for some time now, progressively getting worse. I could not say for certain at what mileage it started.
Mine started at about 300 ,miles.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a 2018 3.6r with this noise. More on the driver side but not right at wheel/tire. I only hear it at slower speeds and more so with smaller but rapid bumps on the road. I bought the spring kit that the TSB refers to. I should have the torx-plus bit by the end of the week and I'll report back. Even though my steering box is not within the range specified by the TSB, I am convinced that the spring is going to be a "wear item" that weakens and will need to be replaced occasionally. I seen reported a few times that people had the steering rack replaced or the spring replaced and the noise eventually returns. That leaves me thinking that even the new spring is not a permanent fix but does over time lose its effectiveness.
Just wanted to ask, appendix A talks of a rather involved adjustment - are you planning on doing that after the spring install?

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport
67 Posts
Just wanted to ask, appendix A talks of a rather involved adjustment - are you planning on doing that after the spring install?
It looks like it is not necessary unless you adjust the EPS Gear Box. It looks like that is the first course of action recommend now in the updated TBS, then spring replacement, then assembly replacement. Although the spring isn't the first step, it looks easier to perform so it wouldn't necessarily be a bad place to start if attempting on your own.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
As long as I don't have noise with the new spring, I am not doing anything further. If the noise returns soon, I might take it to a dealer to have that adjustment done.

·
Registered
542 Posts
As long as I don't have noise with the new spring, I am not doing anything further. If the noise returns soon, I might take it to a dealer to have that adjustment done.
I'm planning on doing mine tomorrow. Now that it is in the 50's during the day and 40's at night, the rattle sounds like something is about to fall of the car, When it was warmer it was still there but not nearly as loud.

thanks for that info.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is it really this small?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is it really this small?
Its hard to believe that could make a difference, isn't it! I was driving for 3hrs today and some rough roads - my noise is definitely gone. My wife noticed (as I did) that the steering seems tighter again too - it wasn't my imagination.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Its hard to believe that could make a difference, isn't it! I was driving for 3hrs today and some rough roads - my noise is definitely gone. My wife noticed (as I did) that the steering seems tighter again too - it wasn't my imagination.
It is in but not driven due to heavy rain today. Can't wait to see if I get silence!

Reactions: bosh60

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noticed the TSB only mentions 2015 and up. We recently purchased a pre-owned 2014 Outback for my wife that has <50k miles on it. It has a loud clunking noise coming from the front passenger side foot-well when hitting minor irregular surfaces on normal paved roads - at pretty much any speed.

After reading this thread, apparently a lot of you are complaining of that same clunking noise, but some have it occur on the driver's side. Even though some of you have had good results with dealerships replacing the rack & pinion steering units or just a steering shaft spring to correct the issue, apparently it's not solving the issue for a lot of you folks.

In my situation, I'm starting to wondering if it's just a loose cap nut that secures the strut cartridge/insert the strut housing, or even the rubber upper strut mount that's the culprit?

I plan to get the car up on my lift and check there first. If that doesn't cure the problem, I'll look into the steering shaft spring replacement.

I purchased two pentalobe #40 hex bits on ebay for $5.50 ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/183885318453

·
Registered
542 Posts
Still not clear on what this tiny spring actually does?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think someone said it was a different length - not sure if it's longer or shorter ???

161 - 180 of 241 Posts