Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all from the UK. I have a consistent rattle in the front suspension on my 2011 2.5 CVT with 47 k miles, and it's driving me crazy! I have so far changed the front caliper pins and brake pads, front sway bar drop links and the front sway bar bushes, all to no avail. It only really happens on uneven road surfaces like forestry roads, and doesn't clunck over big bumps and holes, just rattles over the uneven surfaces. Has anybody else suffered this and what fixed it? Any suggestions on what to try next? Cheers, Paul.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,931 Posts
although I suspect they've been inspected, take a look at the rear bushings for the lower control arms , and the strut tops in the mounts. Even the battery clamp.

could this be duplicated at slow-enough speed for someone to pace the car? If so, maybe the sound could be further located L to R or center.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My experience on my Acura TL Type-S was that at the dealership, they messed up when replacing my Brembo brake pads, by missing a little screw, and it was like that and I had ended up going back many times, replacing new pads, new rotors, like 3, 4 times, and the rattle kept coming, until I complained to corporate, they sent technicians to inspect my Brembo and found out a missing screw and rubber.

So, they refunded many for all the trouble I had over the years, and send a new pair of Brembo.

Sometimes, those who works at the Dealership can mess up your ride just like that

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will look into the control arm bushings etc and report back. I've replaced the pads etc myself and I didn't have any bits left over!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks guys. I will look into the control arm bushings etc and report back. I've replaced the pads etc myself and I didn't have any bits left over!!!
G'day 4eyes!

Could you solve the problem? Mine (2010 2.5i CVT) has also knocking noise from the front. I jacked up the vehicle, checked all the points what can cause knocking, nothing at the wheels...but at the steering rod there is a U joint, that knocks really. I tested it, while the car was on the ground, and I turned the steering wheel left and right... There is a rubber bushing in it, maybe that went wrong? Check that as well.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks lbarnes, will check it out this week if it stops raining....

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT; 98 LGT 5MT
111 Posts
I understand that that rubber dampener in the steering column, like any bushing, will soften with age thereby making some noise and causing the steering to be less responsive.

Perrin makes a lockdown kit for that dampener that must come with gold-plated hardware, for the price. Other companies might have a similar bolt-on solution. That will send more vibration to your hands on the wheel, of course.

Steering Dampener Lockdown for Subarus

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had the car checked over today by my local mechanics after I failed to find anything obvious. They also could not find anything wrong, mechanically A1. The inner shoulder of the front tyres are wearing but even the alignment checked out bang on. Rode with one of the guys in the passenger seat, he heard the noise and thinks it may be tyre noise on broken surfaces. Gonna swap tyres around and see if noise alters or moves. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
inner wear could be from toe adjustment being off or worn tie rods - well, if tie rods are severely worn, toe can change/shift

inner tie rods - under the boots, may be more likely to be worn ?

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks lucky Texan. There is no movement in the wheels but I will take a closer look at the tie rods, cheers.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 lucky Texan, you win a coconut!! Checked the inner track rods with Mrs wiggling steering wheel and hey presto, found the knock on both inner rods.Ordering inner and outer rods for both sides, outer rods were pretty solid but cheap. Many thanks, delighted to get this sorted.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
I get one right about every year or 2 - glad you found it.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Changed the inner and outer tie rods today, and fixed the rattle. Took just under 4 hours to do it myself. Had been quoted 12 hours! I purchased an inner tie rod tool and it was necessary. Access is very limited but just about doable. Toughest part was getting the inner clip/ring off the rubber boot and then getting the inner boot back on again. Thanks again to all who helped.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After having the alignment adjusted the rattle returned within 50 m of leaving the shop. I am now totally stumped. The rattle had definitely gone in the 2 trips I made between changing the tie rods and going to the tyre shop. These trips were on roads I know well and the rattle has been consistent and predictable on these roads It was not present. I would really appreciate any thoughts!!

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
is this a high pitched rattle/buzz ? maybe heat shields ?

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again lucky Texan, it's definitely a rattle/ knocking and I'm convinced is front left wheel. I cannot understand how a wheel alignment could make it return. I'm thinking strut/ shock next but have been told they're fine

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
alignment probably just involves toe and camber..... that's what would change so, maybe an axle, strut or the steering rack bushings......?????

it doesn't make sense that experienced mechanics can't locate this.

when the sound happens, do you feel anything in the steering wheel, the body of the car or any bucking/jerking?

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is a slight knock in the steering if I wiggle the steering wheel when stationary, I could feel it in the inner tie rod. It doesn't happen when driving though.It is still doing it after changing the tie rods. I don't think it's connected to the rattle though, that seems to be around front left wheel. Steering rack seemed solid when I had tie rods out.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
EDIT ! electric steering so, no cardan joint!

that cardan joint on the steering rods might be worn. But from your description is unrelated to what you hear.

A passenger would also pinpoint this to the left side?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts