Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited
25 Posts
The adjustment is quite easy. When the hood is raised you will see two black threaded hard rubber pieces (about 0.850 inches in diameter), one on either side of the hood. These fit a little more outboard and a little further aft than two similar sized but solid rubber pieces. If you suspect your hood is the source of the rattle it's very easy to turn the black threaded hard rubber pieces by hand to get them to protrude a bit more. Turn counter-clockwise to get some added length. Our rattle went away for good after this simple adjustment.
Has anyone had to change those adjustable Hood Bumpers (57254AA011, $1.86) or small Hood Buffers (57254AE02A, $1.17) because they got dry and less flexible? (Part Nbrs for 2011 OB 3.6R)

This winter, when we had plenty of near- and below-0*F temperatures, I had to adjust the Hood Bumpers lower so the hood would stay latched. Now I have the hood rattle back. The Hood Bumper adjustment had eliminated the hood rattles last summer.

These rubber pieces are cheap to replace and I'll probably buy them with an upcoming brake pad and filters order from SubaruOnlineParts.com. I was just wondering if other people have replaced them instead of doing seasonal hood adjustments. Our 2011 OB was bought in 2010 and has 186k miles on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Photos. I would add that I had to use a pry bar to get a good purchase on the shallow lock nut with the ring spanner. There is a metal bar above the anti roll bar that you can brace against. Tightening this only stopped the noise when you move the steering wheel quickly between 10 and 2 oclock. It didn't fix the rattle over rough roads.
Any chance of borrowing / renting your custom tools? Am happy to pay postage either way, plus something for your troubles!

Mine still clonks a bit, and doing some research suggests that the notchy steering on the motorway is either the rack damper adjustment, or it's the ePAS overheating and shutting down :(

Hopefully it's the former not the latter!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all from the UK. I have a consistent rattle in the front suspension on my 2011 2.5 CVT with 47 k miles, and it's driving me crazy! I have so far changed the front caliper pins and brake pads, front sway bar drop links and the front sway bar bushes, all to no avail. It only really happens on uneven road surfaces like forestry roads, and doesn't clunck over big bumps and holes, just rattles over the uneven surfaces. Has anybody else suffered this and what fixed it? Any suggestions on what to try next? Cheers, Paul.
Have you had any success with this. I’ve been dealing with the same thing a few years now. Have changed almost everything. Now it’s actually starting to annoy me so I wanna try and chase it again

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hi Frank, a new steering rack cured it. Electric rack on my 2011 UK spec. A plastic collar had worn down allowing the rack to move and rattle. £1500 for a new rack, for the sake of a plastic collar that probably costs £2, but of course is not available separately. Lubing the caliper slide pins regularly also helps, they rattle a bit too👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Frank, a new steering rack cured it. Electric rack on my 2011 UK spec. A plastic collar had worn down allowing the rack to move and rattle. £1500 for a new rack, for the sake of a plastic collar that probably costs £2, but of course is not available separately. Lubing the caliper slide pins regularly also helps, they rattle a bit too👍
Thank you. I’ll chek that out. Friggin thing sounds like it’s right under the struts. But it travels so maybe. Thanks again

61 - 65 of 65 Posts