Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past two weeks I have been experiencing a front end shake at highway speeds (50-60 when accelerating)..... Tires are new, balanced and aligned...That what I thought it was at first.

Took to mechanic...checked if anything was loose or broken (sway bars, ball joints, shocks, CV joints aren't torn or leaking etc.)....

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,286 Posts
If one of the tires has a manufacturing defect, it can balance on the machine but not on the car. I'm guessing you notice it at 40, gets worse and 65 is the fastest you feel comfortable driving with such a shake?

I had the above problem. Balanced at 2 shops, one with roadforce, still shook the crap out of the car. Tire shop just threw on a new set and the shake was gone.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited sedan 2.5 At,2001 Outback LL Bean 3.0 AT
102 Posts
I had the same problem it turned out to be a sticky calipers on my sedan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same problem it turned out to be a sticky calipers on my sedan.
So your brake calipers caused the symptoms at that speed?

I don't think I have a fuel delivery issue either. I changed the fuel filter over the summer as well.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,079 Posts
Are your CV axles original, or do you have any re-manufactured axles in the the car? OEM axles have green barrels on them.

Also, just because the boot isn't torn doesn't mean the joint ins't worn. If it is an OEM, then that would be doubtful. But if any of the 2 are aftermarket, you never know.

Are you sure the inner tie rod ends and steering rack were checked adequately? Including the input shaft into the rack, and the u-joint in the steering shaft.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited sedan 2.5 At,2001 Outback LL Bean 3.0 AT
102 Posts
My right caliper was hanging up slightly due to a little rust buildup on the piston. Once I replaced the assembly it stopped shaking. I also replaced the discs too. I found rust buildup on top of rotor. rubbing on caliper.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The tires are basically new tires, not worn at all. I watched them balancing them.
Mine were brand new, steelies were also new from the box, and the car was 5 months old: still shook, defective tire(s).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
764 Posts
Rotate the tires and see if the symptoms change. A bad tire would be more benign on the rear.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I've had this on our VW and on our 2010 Subaru. VW turned out we had three out of round brand new Michelin Pilots! First and last time I bought tires from Costco took four trips for them to finally replace all three bad tires with round tires!!!

The 2010 Subaru at about 25,000 miles the original Continentals started to develop a vibration. Took it to a performance shop they found one tire was going out of round. By the way those tires required large changes in balancing weights every 10,000 miles to keep the shaking tolerable. Finally gave up on those tires at 40,000 miles couldn't take the vibrating anymore. I put BFG touring tires on it and the car was smooth as glass again. 28,000 miles on those BFG's today and they have only seen very small weight change in balancing along with still being smooth.

Tires my man Tires!!! They might balance but that doesn't mean they are round.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had this on our VW and on our 2010 Subaru. VW turned out we had three out of round brand new Michelin Pilots! First and last time I bought tires from Costco took four trips for them to finally replace all three bad tires with round tires!!!

The 2010 Subaru at about 25,000 miles the original Continentals started to develop a vibration. Took it to a performance shop they found one tire was going out of round. By the way those tires required large changes in balancing weights every 10,000 miles to keep the shaking tolerable. Finally gave up on those tires at 40,000 miles couldn't take the vibrating anymore. I put BFG touring tires on it and the car was smooth as glass again. 28,000 miles on those BFG's today and they have only seen very small weight change in balancing along with still being smooth.

Tires my man Tires!!! They might balance but that doesn't mean they are round.
The issue existed before and after the tires were changed.... At end of summer tires needed to be replaced (had 55K on them) and did replace them with RT43 Cont..... didn't solve issue.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,476 Posts
is it an up-down vibration?, side to side? does touching the brakes make it better or worse?

do you feel a chatter/jerk in the steering wheel?

did this begin after an axle replacement or a wreck or any other work on the car?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The issue existed before and after the tires were changed.... At end of summer tires needed to be replaced (had 55K on them) and did replace them with RT43 Cont..... didn't solve issue.
Why would you not mention in your original post that this shake occurred before the tires were replaced?

Did you happen to hit something hard (ish) one day and then you noticed vibrations? Maybe you bent a wheel? I'd like to think the tire shop's balancer would have noticed that...

Have you serviced the brakes (take the calipers off, clean them, and relube moving parts)?

Did the shop check for a bent axle when they were looking at the suspension/steering?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Inner tie rods? In any event it sounds dangerous. I've just replaced my cheap front tyres for Michelins and they aren't great either, just don't seem to track as well either

·
Registered
400 Posts
Inner tie rods? In any event it sounds dangerous. I've just replaced my cheap front tyres for Michelins and they aren't great either, just don't seem to track as well either
Ummmmmm, Nico777, you just revived a 5yo thread..... :ROFLMAO: and the OP has not been around for a number of years.

But you may want to consider getting an alignment, or have someone check this. Does it pull?

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan
1 - 16 of 16 Posts