Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback 2.5i (stock) daily driver with custom wheels and Thule rack
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had new struts/springs installed and car aligned. New struts are great, but when turning the wheel and very slowing moving the car into and out of parking spaces hear a snap in front end. Also, there is tire squeal and skipping when turning tightly in same situation. Alignment specs are perfect and car feels great going down the road with no other abnormalities noticeable. Could my ball joint (s) be bad? Have to get under and check it but wanted to get opinions on this up front (no pun intended). Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
does that sound only happen when the steering is at or near full lock (left or right).? = rare but happens springs were installed upside down.

I had some groaning sounds at parking lot speeds before ,.= ball joints. (noticeable when turning the wheel slow and rolling...= mild vibrations and noise).

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
697 Posts
Front tires do not turn equally, designed to get some toe out as you steer harder because the outer wheel drives a larger radius than the inner wheel in a turn. But the geometry is a compromise, with many cars one tire will scrub a little in really sharp corners. Depending on the tires and the pavement, you may hear that scrub as a tire squeal. I had a car that would squeal a front tire in tight turns in a certain parking garage. Did not make noise in other places.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it is happening at full lock. I gave the shop a new set of stock springs along with the KYB struts. I am not sure how I would be able to tell if they were put on upside down. I can probably get a few photos when weather clears up.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
I think it is happening at full lock. I gave the shop a new set of stock springs along with the KYB struts. I am not sure how I would be able to tell if they were put on upside down. I can probably get a few photos when weather clears up.

@traildogck ...mr. 2006 suspension...opiniion. ?

the car I remember hearing do make a noise with the springs upside down was a 87 chrysler lebaron. ...made a very loud harmonic "bong" like hitting the springs with a mallet.

..although I guess that could be more mild depending upon spring design on the specific car.

... in the Lebaron' s case the owner took the car to 5 different garages and no one could figure it out. ...his mother had a friendly shade tree mechanic in her church,...and he knew what it was right away and fixed it. (I guess just because he had seen such a odd condition before..).

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
The front springs cannot go in upside down.

They can become unseated off of the keeper tab when installed, the springs moving on the perch is possible.

Ball joint is possible, INNER LCA bushing may not have been obviously worn, and hard to identify on the car. BTW, rear LCA bushing, Changed? Checked?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it appears the problem was easy to see.......I took off the front wheel after getting the car back from the shop and driving it for several hundred miles at high speeds. What I found was jaw dropping! The nuts on the two strut clamping bolts (one on the eccentric bolt for alignment) were completely loose and had worked there way out to the ends of the bolts! Apparently the shop never tightened them after setting the alignment. This was really scary since I just returned from a 400 mile trip. Alignment however stayed intact as the bolts did not appear to move much and stayed place. I had to tighten them and now out of alignment of course until I get it back in to reset it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts