Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT Abyss Blue Pearl, Gray Leather Interior
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Felt a growing front end vibration over the last few days, increasing with braking. Speed didn't matter, the vibrating was the same result. Took my Touring XT in to Subaru today. They say it's a first for Subaru for the 2020 Outback. The boot on the RF axle is leaking grease and it's getting slung into the wheel barrel and rotor. In the barrel, it collects debris, of course, and that gains weight which throws the balance off. That's the vibration. The axle problem is a manufacturing defect. They're going to replace it, but the parts system shows one axle in the country. They say it's safe to drive until the axle arrives. They have to do a Quality Maintenance Report, which is a compete break down of the axle and repair with pictures, a full day event, so they can send them to Subaru's engineers for evaluation. I'll update as this goes along. Oh, I have 18K miles on the car. Definitely not a situation you think would happen before 150K.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,044 Posts
That stinks, but axles are one of those things that sometimes just fail way too early. Sometimes something will hop up and tear the boot causing a leak, sometimes the boot seam splits on its own, letting in dirt. Luckily it’s an easy fix other than only one being available.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,162 Posts
It may be the first for a 2020 because it was the first to reach 18K miles; just a thought.
I question the position it is OK to drive with the vibration. First concern is the wear/damage of the shock at this position. Next is the concern for accelerated wear of related mechanical parts. I say you should demand a loaner.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,574 Posts
It may be the first for a 2020 because it was the first to reach 18K miles; just a thought.
I question the position it is OK to drive with the vibration. First concern is the wear/damage of the shock at this position. Next is the concern for accelerated wear of related mechanical parts. I say you should demand a loaner.
I just crossed 18k miles and I see a bit of vibration as well. Not sure if it's due to cold or the road since it only happens at a certain point on the road. This same section did not cause vibrations before when it was warmer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just crossed 18k miles and I see a bit of vibration as well. Not sure if it's due to cold or the road since it only happens at a certain point on the road. This same section did not cause vibrations before when it was warmer.
I'd err on the side of caution and take it in to be looked at.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, here's the update and a photo of the RF axle. I called Monday to see if the part had come in, and it has. I arranged for a drop off and loaner on Wednesday, and they called three hours later with repairs compete. It's a boring ending to this issue, until I hear back from the engineers via the parts and service departments on what the engineers think happened.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no response from Subaru engineers, though I have it in writing from Subaru on company letterhead that they'd notify me of what their research turns up. I asked because I don't want this to be something I have to worry about on the rest of the vehicle. I'll post whatever/whenever I hear back.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,578 Posts
Still no response from Subaru engineers, though I have it in writing from Subaru on company letterhead that they'd notify me of what their research turns up. I asked because I don't want this to be something I have to worry about on the rest of the vehicle. I'll post whatever/whenever I hear back.
I think your last sentence here is what likely has them concerned - typically reliability findings are not so openly shared with the public unless or until they require a mandatory safety recall.

Your 2020 is under warranty, but it may have turned out to be a low-incidence issue they're already aware of that they think will require a voluntary "customer accommodate" done on an as-needed basis outside of warranty.

Though you have this commitment on Subaru letterhead, it was probably a mistake on their part to send it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts