Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have owned a 99 Outback 5 speed since new, and am acquainted with both the head gasket issue and oil leaks at the front engine seals. The former problem was repaired once and has not recurred. The second problem has been repaired 4 times and has returned yet again. Each time I had the seals done was by a different mechanic at a different shop in an effort to find someone capable of doing it correctly. Only after one of those repairs did the leaks stop for any significant period of time, about two years. And I know the mechanic in that case used the updated seals and procedures, and ironically charged much less than the other mechanics.

So now I am considering a slightly newer used Subaru. I have read that the head gasket issue became much less common around 2002. What about the issues with the front engine seals, can anybody speak to it improving st some point? Plenty of owners write about experiencing it, but I haven't found anything about when it may have improved.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
On my of my Mercedes diesels few years back I had a constant problem with front seal; no matter who did what, it kept leaking. Granted, there are higher pressures in diesel engines elsewhere, but the problem did not go away until I sold the car. So, this does not seem to be specific problem just with Subarus...
Getting another car is, in my opinion, a wise choice! Just make sure you get it with complete repair history so that you don't end up with the same again....

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
I wonder what they did to fix it as this is not a trouble spot for soobies.

Did the re-seal the oil pump? Did they replace all the seals and the pcv valve? Are we talking a front oil leak or a head gasket leak.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Oil leaks from seals can also be because of bad pcv, which pressurized the crankcase and blows the lip of the seal out and it doesn't seal properly anymore, had this happen on an Astra of ours(rear main seal), to much work to fix for the value of the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil leaks from seals can also be because of bad pcv, which pressurized the crankcase and blows the lip of the seal out and it doesn't seal properly anymore, had this happen on an Astra of ours(rear main seal), to much work to fix for the value of the car.
Hmm, PCV. I know that was replaced on only one of the occasions this repair was done, the time that lasted longer than any of the others. That is telling.

I wonder what they did to fix it as this is not a trouble spot for soobies.

Did the re-seal the oil pump? Did they replace all the seals and the pcv valve? Are we talking a front oil leak or a head gasket leak.
In each case every seal under the from engine cover was replaced, and the oil pump was resealed. On one occasion the leak never even stopped.

Not a trouble spot for Subies? I beg to differ. Updated seals and procedures from SOA seem to indicate there was enough of an issue to at least try to address it.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone say exactly when the head gasket issue was effectively resolved? Which model or engine series?

Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts