Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with buying parts in Japan. I have a few cracks in the front grill and was thinking of getting the JDM grill. I live in Canada and have checked out japanparts.com. It is just too expensive plus the shipping costs.

I suspect it'll be cheaper in Japan?? I will be traveling there in the summer. Do I just order from a dealer when I'm there? I just have to figure out if it's too big as check-in luggage.

Thanks in advance! (long time lurker)

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,513 Posts
May be worth looking into but also look into how much the airline is charging for checked items (up to $50?) and if you will end up having to pay customs or import duty tax anyway. I don't have any clue about Cdn laws regarding importation, but I highly doubt you could ever convince a customs agent a grill for your car is a 'souvenir'.

Maybe you can find one in the airport duty free shop?

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,686 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies!

I wasn't too concerned with declaring it. From the link that johnre provided, it looks like I'll be safe from customs/duties. I hope...

I'll figure it out once I'm there! I'm just hoping it'll be significantly less than $400, even with the fee for checked luggage.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,146 Posts
Thank you for the replies!

I wasn't too concerned with declaring it. From the link that johnre provided, it looks like I'll be safe from customs/duties. I hope...

I'll figure it out once I'm there! I'm just hoping it'll be significantly less than $400, even with the fee for checked luggage.
One would hope....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts