Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger front seat belt is wrapping around the seat back tilt handle . This is happening on my 2017 OB. without power seat. I took into the dealer twice. The last time, the dealer replaced the seat belt and bent the handle outward. The seat belt is doing the same thing again. Is anyone having the same problem ? What is the fix ?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Base PZEV
42 Posts
Can you possibly show a picture? I wonder if it has something to do with how far forward or backward or high you've moved the seat? Maybe you could try different positions and heights and see if there are situations where it doesn't get hung up down low? Also, you could try this in a new vehicle at the dealership. This would be a diagnostic measure, to see if your seat is different than others.

We have both a '16 premium and '16 base, and the passenger front seat belt does not get hung up low around the seat handle. In the '16 base (no power driver's seat) and the '16 premium (power driver's seat) the seat belt gets hung up high, at shoulder height, and/or gets stuck in the door, if I don't manually move it over the shoulder. There is a TSB for that, and it applies to all models. Something about applying lubrication to the seat belt. I have not done the TSB, as I don't have time right now, and I have gotten used to manually bringing my seat belt over the shoulder so it doesn't get stuck. I'm 5' 6'', and I have the seat as high as it will go; the seat back is fairly straight; and my legs are stretched as far as they will go but still being able to use the brakes and gas comfortably. I have a work truck that does the same thing, so I'm used to it, but it is annoying.

The entanglement issue that you have seems more serious than it getting hung up on the shoulder. "Bending the handle outward" seems very iffy to me. I would request a new seat, for sure.

And if it still gets hung up, make sure to file a complaint with NHTSA, as anything that impedes a properly working, or retracting seat belt is taken very seriously, which is probably why Subaru has offered up a TSB fix for the seat belt. Also, Subaru has a lifetime warranty for the seat belts. I believe most manufacturers have lifetime warranties, and this might be a NHTSA requirement, but I'm not sure.

Vehicle Warranty | Subaru of America

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed that when the passenger seat is moved in certain positions the seat belt wraps around the handle. Where the seat is at this moment, it does not wrap around the handle. I do plan to take pictures and send them to the main Subaru customer care person. The first seat belt started to fray due to this problem. It is a safety issue which if not fixed by Subaru, pictures will go to NHTSA. I would post a picture of it here however I do not know how to do it when this site wants the URL of the image.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,612 Posts
In the Advanced reply screen, there's an Additional Options section below the edit window. In it is an Attach Files sections with a Manage Attachments button. Click that button.

Click Choose File in the pop-up window, and select a file you want to upload. Repeat as needed. You'll have a chance to delete files from the upload if you got the wrong one.

When done, you'll probably have to scroll that window to the right to see the Upload button. Click that, and you should get a thumbnail below your post when you Preview Post. You can get the URL for the image by opening it and right clicking (in Chrome on Windows - YMMV), then paste that URL between IMG tags to embed the image in your post if you want.

Or - upload your file to a photo-sharing site, and get the URL for your image from them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts