Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 2.5i Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually for a 2018 Legacy 2.5i Limited, but since it's the same nav system and there are more Outbacks, I figured I'd ask here.

I'm having a problem where the nav system thinks that I'm making a voice command (probably through Android Auto) and keeps the front speakers muted, no matter what I do. Here's the rundown:

- premium stereo w/8" screen, nav, etc etc
- Galaxy S7 edge connected via USB
- Android Auto running
- Google Maps running on Android Auto (not sure if running Maps is required to cause the problem or not)
- When giving a command to the system ("OK Google"), the front speakers are muted so it can hear me
- When this is done it never un-mutes the speakers. The volume dial adjusts the navigation volume (map icon), even if it's not in use. I can unplug the phone and delete it from the system, reboot the phone, turn the car off and on, but it never resolves the issue.
- The only fix is to factory reset the whole system, which is a bummer.

Anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to report this to SOA? I did check for updates and there aren't any, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
I have the 2017 with the 7" head unit so this May not affect you at all. But I found out that when I connect my phone to the USB in the car it will do the mirror link connect but it only charges at 1 watt at 5 V. That is really only fast enough to keep the phone from discharging. Now I charge it in a rapid warieless car charger and connect it via Bluetooth. So the phone charges 4 times faster.

I usually have ways up and running on my phone and use the display on the car for something else anyways. On my phone I also have a minimized window that I usually have some sort of boring documentary playing from YouTube just so I can hear the sound coming through the speakers.

Has anybody else noticed that there is a significant sound delay when hooking your phone up through Bluetooth instead of the little speaker wire he

ad phone speaker looking wire?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experienced the same issue a handful of times with my 2018 Outback, where the "nav system thinks that I'm making a voice command (probably through Android Auto) and keeps the front speakers muted, no matter what I do". I've noticed that it happens when multiple actions occur at the same time, seems like it's a weird race condition bug with the Android Auto software. (i.e. Google Maps is navigating and I get a text, then the front speakers do not come back from mute). Have not figured out a solution yet either...

·
Registered
43 Posts
The best way I have found to get myself out of the ghost nav taking over my speakers is to use Android Auto (might also work from stock nav too) and make it navigate anywhere. Just get the nav to speak. It will kick in on the speakers and then hand them back over to the radio or whatever. Then I can cancel out of the nav.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same here -- anyone ever find a fix?

2018 Subaru Outback, Google Pixel running Android Pie, Android Auto running with Google Maps navigating, radio playing... When Maps has a notification (upcoming turn etc.) the front speakers mute to allow Google to deliver the notification -- the notification plays and the front speakers don't come back on. The volume knob adjusts only the maps volume. If I unplug USB, front audio returns. This happens even if Maps audio is muted -- it doesn't have to play the notification, it seems to be the fact that it has a notification. I believe what may be happening is the phone is requesting control of the front speakers and never giving up control after the announcement.

I'm going to open up a Google support case on this as it seems to have gotten worse recently -- possibly with latest Android Auto update.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 "Blue Diamond"/2018 Forester 2.5 "Shady"
46 Posts
So I guess I wasn't alone. 18 OB Touring here, same exact problem ever since after the latest Nav software upgrade (a month ago).
My workaround for now is turn the stock NAV on, navigate to a POI, mute the Nav via setting; use Android auto and enjoy my XM media files.
First I thought was my usb-c cable. Changed to a different one with same muted front speakers. Next I checked the different us plugs, same result. So either the latest Google update has bug or ? I'm running latest Pie with Pixel 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
With the most recent nav/firmware update (the online version, not the dealer installed one, which is older) I have found my nav stays muted at all times. It used to reset every startup. This is the way I prefer it. So if you want the nav to stop talking (unless you need it to chatter) make sure you've downloaded and installed the latest firmware version.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here. 2018 Outback. Connecting Google Pixel 3 (running Android Pie) via cable to stereo to use Google maps. Front speakers mute for navigation prompts, but rear speakers stay playing regular radio station (not via phone). At this point, we can no longer control the volume of the radio at all. We've tried disconnecting, reloading Android Auto, rebooting the phone, turning off/on Bluetooth (just in case), turning off/on the car itself, and nothing is working. We've tried restarting nav as well, as suggested above, and still nothing. The front speakers are muted and the rear speakers are playing, but are not able to be adjusted.

Also, we're no longer able to change which phone is connected via Bluetooth, so it feels like something more than just the speakers are glitching.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here

The best way I have found to get myself out of the ghost nav taking over my speakers is to use Android Auto (might also work from stock nav too) and make it navigate anywhere. Just get the nav to speak. It will kick in on the speakers and then hand them back over to the radio or whatever. Then I can cancel out of the nav.

I've got the same issue here and I haven't even gotten permanent plates for my Outback yet. I tried the above but it does not work reliably for me. The only thing that reliably works is turning the car off and waiting a few minutes to restart it. Hopefully someone can get a better resolution that shutting the car off for a few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts