Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I do it guys? Can't get it together, i have a set of the OEM brand compressors and just can't get it together, freaking spring is enormous.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
@traildogck ???

anything else that can be picked up in a pinch. like from a hardware store. (with a eye towards safety).

or loaned from a autoparts store. (wonder if they have the machine there to do it ).

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
@traildogck ???

anything else that can be picked up in a pinch. like from a hardware store. (with a eye towards safety).

or loaned from a autoparts store. (wonder if they have the machine there to do it ).
ALERT ...

I could NOT get this compressor to work on the FRONT strut. Anyone familiar with the shape of the front spring, they are difficult to get compressed enough with good clearance. And the fact it only has about 4 winds, there was NO WAY the single action would work.

Get their dual-screw types....Trust Me.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
ALERT ...

I could NOT get this compressor to work on the FRONT strut. Anyone familiar with the shape of the front spring, they are difficult to get compressed enough with good clearance. And the fact it only has about 4 winds, there was NO WAY the single action would work.

Get their dual-screw types....Trust Me.
I wonder if Napa or Pep Boys someplace like that has the big wall mounted units to just "do it" for the customer.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
I wonder if Napa or Pep Boys someplace like that has the big wall mounted units to just "do it" for the customer.
I am not sure how the wall mount do the fronts anyway for the same issue. Rears on easy, the fronts are as well ... once you are in the know of how. I truthfully like to use (3) of the screw types on the front. It allow for multiple compression points and the spring gets compressed more uniformly and ends up less of a twerky mess. Makes lining up and seating the top mount way easier .

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatcha talkin bout Willis??? It works... It's a pain because it get sort of pinched in there so it took about 10 minutes to pull it out after assembling.

We tried with 4 of those standard screw block one's, just couldn't get it to go. They're too bully and get stuck in the mount/top hat.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
Whatcha talkin bout Willis??? It works... It's a pain because it get sort of pinched in there so it took about 10 minutes to pull it out after assembling.

We tried with 4 of those standard screw block one's, just couldn't get it to go. They're too bully and get stuck in the mount/top hat.
I got that far and then I decided to return it. Before disassembling. It looked like it had bottomed out and wasn't compressed enough. I guess I'm wrong then. My bad.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
Ah...

You had to knock it all around a bit to get it out. I see the scarring on the spring perch now. I guess I am married to my system. Happy for you though.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
534 Posts
I've never tried this and it's probably a dumb idea, but hear me out. This would be for an extreme emergency.

1) Hold the strut shaft fully extended with vice-grips at the base using an old drive belt or something rubber to prevent marring.
2) Bolt strut mount to the vehicle.
3) Place spring over strut and attach to knuckle with only the lower bolt and not fully tightened
4) Lower vehicle (wheel on or something supporting the knuckle) and guide the strut shaft into the mount and put the nut on.

Again, no clue if there's enough clearance or something else that would prevent this from working. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after 10 hours... struts are replaced.

The conclusion?

Have a shop assemble those front struts, those are a bitch to get done. @traildogck first one we did no problem with that spring compressor, second one seemed like it wasn't going to get done ever. I'm returning it cause it sucks, so it wasn't just you. Rear struts were a piece of cake using the OEM brand compressor

The Moog boots are going back. They were marketed for front or rear. Obviously did not fit the rears at all. Bumper was completely wrong shape for the front, luckily the originals were OK. The Moog front mounts had terrible bearings in them... check out this play.

Overall, not a fun job, long day... I'll bring it to Firestone in the morning and collect on my lifetime alignments. It will be nice to have working shocks though!

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts