Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 3.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So like many others, I had worn end links on the front sway bar of my 2008 Outback creating a rattling noise when going rolling down the road over bumps and undulations in the pavement. I replaced the front sway end links a few months ago and have been meaning to place a couple pics to help anyone not that familiar with what it might entail. I used OEM end links and in all the job was pretty easy (mine weren't seized so that helped). Considering the Stealership wanted 240 to do the job I paid a small fraction of that for the parts and spent relatively little time under the car.

I don't recall the socket or the allen wrench size I used but the torque setting for tightening them up was 33.2 ft/lb from the online manual from the techinfo website.

Couple notes:
1) Place car on level ground.
2) Raise the "entire front end, not just one side. (Lower onto jackstands obviously) Raising the car unevenly could throw the sway bar into tension or compression one way and may adversely load the bar after completing the repair.
3) Use wrench with allen wrench to get the nut loosened (penetrating oil may be necessary). I used a socket wrench to remove nut all the way. Once off, the old endlinks were noticeably worn and loose with cracked rubber boots. See old vs new pic (parts.pdf).
4) May need to wiggle the studs on the new endlink(s) bushings to get it to fit. My old worn endlinks were noticeably worn and moved much more easily than the new ones.
5) Seat end link as evenly as possibly against mounting brackets
6) Re-install nut ensuring everything seats evenly (Do not over tighten!)
7) Use torque wrench to specified settings off tech info website
8) Drive and enjoy a rattle free ride.

Like I mentioned, I felt this was a fairly easy job so have at it. :D

I am not a professional and take no responsibility for any of the described work or problems that might arise. Be sure to download pdfs from the techinfo website...

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 2.5i
48 Posts
Nice! I have to replace at least some of the endlinks and bushings on the front and back of my 05. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I gain much by replacing everything or just what needs to be done as I think most components and bushings are worn out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would recommend going with Rallitek or Perrin for replacement since OEM will begin to fail in a few years and aftermarket such as above use silicone bushings not rubber.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 3.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good point. I would have gone with the Rallitek part but had an impromptu road come up that I wanted the end links fixed before the parts would be in. The rattling had been "driving" me nuts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts